How Do I Make Her Stop?!

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Maggie *LOVES* the snow. She loves running around like a maniac out there!! Unfortunately she is banging her feet up something fierce. She cut her toe, just above the nail bed, and I cannot get her to leave it alone.

The e-collar (cone style) is not an option and she can get her foot to her mouth with the blow-up collars. She's getting to be a pro at removing bandages while I'm at work and just goes to town licking it and getting it all inflamed. I've tried no-chew bitter vet wrap and no-lick strips which are spicy hot but neither deter her. While I'm home and can keep an eye on her a baby sock and some tape is working well, but I need to keep her away from it while I'm away.

Any magic suggestions?

Guest d0ggiem0mma

While that is a genius idea... I forgot to mention she has SA and might have a melt down if she can't use eat her Kong treats!

Edited by d0ggiem0mma

No magic here. While sock and tape worked for me if Maggie is hell-bent on removing any barrier - well, it will be a challenge!

My (angel) Indy used to lick between two toes on a back paw until the area was raw and bleeding. He had back issues and I suspect there was tingling in his toes.

I used a longer white athletic and sometimes taped above and below the joint. I used paper first aid tape and purchased a lot of it! Admittedly, it was a pain taking the sock on and off when he went outside -- but it did work.

Not sure if you're talking about a front or back paw -- but it's definitely easier to sock a back paw than a front. Good luck! :)

Atropine drops or ointment. Worked wonders to keep Sneakers from licking his foot. Just a couple of drops on each side of the sore. After the first try he wouldn't touch it. Gave me major stinkeye when I put it on everyday. :lol

You have to get it from your vet, it is actually eye medication,but it really tastes aweful.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guest HHHounds

We have used the sock too - ladies or children's white athletic socks - we don't have snow much here, so I don't take them off to go outside! Good luck!

Guest Sunset123

Atropine drops or ointment. Worked wonders to keep Sneakers from licking his foot. Just a couple of drops on each side of the sore. After the first try he wouldn't touch it. Gave me major stinkeye when I put it on everyday. :lol

You have to get it from your vet, it is actually eye medication,but it really tastes aweful.

Do vets prescribe this easily? I mean, if I ask for it will my vet thing I'm crazy? Arrisa has a bald spot that she's obsessed with, and nothing that I've bought at the store has helped her stop licking it.

No magic here. While sock and tape worked for me if Maggie is hell-bent on removing any barrier - well, it will be a challenge!

My (angel) Indy used to lick between two toes on a back paw until the area was raw and bleeding. He had back issues and I suspect there was tingling in his toes.

I used a longer white athletic and sometimes taped above and below the joint. I used paper first aid tape and purchased a lot of it! Admittedly, it was a pain taking the sock on and off when he went outside -- but it did work.

Not sure if you're talking about a front or back paw -- but it's definitely easier to sock a back paw than a front. Good luck! :)

I'm doing the sock right now for a foot injury, and to avoid untaping before going outside I've been using glad press-n-seal wrap! Someone here recommended it, and it's a great trick. I just throw on a piece of plastic on the outside of the sock before I bring her out. Super easy. I've also been liking the fabric first-aid tape more than the paper kind because of the handy dispenser the fabric stuff comes in!

Guest lanielovesgreys

When this happens with Laika, I put her in her t-shirt jammies with a cut up athletic sock extending the leg that's the problem. Then roll up that sock when she goes outside. It's not perfect, but it prevents us from having to muzzle for long periods.

I recently dealt with as Twiggy had a nasty infaction after surgery.

Used the muzzle with poop cup, but smeared a good-sized portion of the poop cup with peanut butter and then pressed in kibble all over the peanut butter. Works similarly to a stuffed Kong. (Looks like a kibble mosaic using peanut butter as mastic.)

I only did the pb/kibble mosaic when leaving her. At night, she had the muzzle w/o treats.

Not sure if this would be enough for your girl, but might be worth a try.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Our method on all of our dogs & cats is to apply neosporin with pain reducer daily and leave the bandage off, the irritation is caused more by her removing the bandage than the cut.

Dogs usually heal on their own without intervention. Watch for pus or bloody discharge meaning a vet visit.

If we have to tape we have great luck with "Coban" tape. Apply neosporin to the cut, and cover it with a gauze pad, then wrap the entire foot with the coban tape, making sure it is not too tight as to cut off circulation. The coban usually stays in place, lets air in and healing begin. If it stays in place leave it for a couple of days or more. Time to take it off it usually needs to be cut off carefully using scissors, may need a muzzle for the dog so she doesn't nip when you are working around a sore toe.

Snow is great fun, but dangerous too, We cut a few random paths with the snow blower (the neighbors think we are crazy!) clear area for the dogs to run in if possible so they don't get hurt.

They DO like that fresh snow for a quick run & roll !!!

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I talked to several vets today, both general practice and ophthalmologists, and they all agreed at the atropine is a BAD idea. Between the possibility of the atropine being absorbed through the wound and whatever is absorbed orally, it would be very easy for the dog to get too much systemically and get sick.

One of the ophthalmologists suggested a product they use with horses called "raplast." It is a very potent capsaicine (hot spicy) based product. It's not for use directly on the skin, but can be used on bandages.

For what its worth... I found that atropine was the only thing that worked for getting my old boy to stop licking the granulomas he had created on his legs. Tried all the other suggestions. None of them worked. I would not be too concerned about the dog getting sick from ingesting the stuff. You need only a couple of drops every two to three days until the behavior changes.

Good luck.