What Can Cause A Grey To Be Anemic

We took Lincoln to the vet Sunday morning because he's been "off" for about a week. No one thing just not himself. They did a snap test to check for Lyme, heart worm, Escherichia and another thing that ended in plasma. Just can't remember what the other one was. That came back neg. They also sent out blood since they can't test for T4 in house. That came back yesterday and his T4 is .2. She also said he has a high WBC in the urine they tested and he's anemic. We're taking him back in tonight for another blood test that they can run in house to make sure it wasn't a false reading. She said his numbers make him look severely anemic but he doesn't have any symptoms. I thought his gums looked a little pale on Sat but they were nice and pink when we were at the vets on Sun. We're picking up antibiotics since his WBC was high and thyroid meds since that's low. I've printed off the greyhound blood values and am taking that with me tonight. Our vet knows greyhounds and knows their values are different. We're seeing a different vet in the practice but our usual vet is the main vet and he makes sure his staff is aware that greyhounds are "different". I'm really taking the printout so I know the numbers when we're talking. Here's my question, what causes a greyhound to be anemic? And is there anything else I need to ask about?

And a last request, any good thoughts for Lincoln would be greatly appreciated. He just turned 5 in December and we've had him since he was 3 months old. I'm worried about our boy. Crossing my fingers that the test tonight shows that the other one was a false reading. I can deal with a UTI and thyroid, both are very treatable.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

My first though is some kind of tick borne disease.

This site gives lots of info.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My first guess would be an TBD, as Robin notes above. Babesia is not tested for in the IDEXX Snap 4 (that's Lyme, erlichia, heartworm and anaplasmosa (formerly known as equine erlichia)).

Also, be extra sure that his thyroid actually bears treating. In order to do that, you'll need a panel run at MSU. Don't rely on a low T-4/fT-4 reading alone. It's just not diagnostic for a greyhound. You have to check the TSH levels as well.

Good thoughts for your boy!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Also, theoretically, onions as a regular item in the diet can cause a particular type of anaemia, but I have yet to hear of anyone's dog actually suffering from this.

Yes, make sure the vets know the numbers for greyhounds. Over here, the labs all seem to know and send back a report reflecting this, but I don't know about the US.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Swifthounds

Also, be extra sure that his thyroid actually bears treating. In order to do that, you'll need a panel run at MSU. Don't rely on a low T-4/fT-4 reading alone. It's just not diagnostic for a greyhound. You have to check the TSH levels as well.

:nod This. Low thyroid canot be diagnosed with just a T4 or T3/T4. A whole panel is needed. Infections, cancers, and any illness that affects other blood values or elevates the WBC can and does lower the T4 levels. Unless and until the cause of his illness is treated/resolves, a full thyroid panel probably won't be helpful. I've never heard of thyroid issues causing anemia. TBDs can, and you haven't tested for all of them.

The WBC count could indicate infection, and the low RBC count can indicate anemia. Ask for the actual numbers and ranges or for a copy of the lab values. These are things you want on hand anyway (never knwo when you might have an ameregency and need them for comparison). Also, having actual values will allow folks to better offer advice. You don't want a vet's conclusions, no matter how much you like/trust the vet, you want the actual numbers.

Babesiosis can cause anemia. It is becoming more common and needs a special test. I think there are two types of tests they do for humans. In any event, the parasite is transmitted by tick and it reproduces, destroying RBCs in a cyclic fashion in accordance with its reproductive/life cycle. Does Lincoln have a fever? That's another indicator. But it may be cyclical. Same with any of the babesia symptoms- they almost can come and go in accordance with the cycles.

Ask for a test of it. Its symptoms are similar to malaria. My father was extremely ill with it.

finalsiggy.jpg

Parasites (skin and intestinal), vector borne disease (tick), bleeding, immune-mediated and yes, hypothroidism can cause anemia. There are numerous tests that could be run - full thyroid panel, Ana and combs panel, fecal check and a full tick panel are few that come to mind. Did your lab run a retic count and how are the platelets?

Edited by tbhounds

I'll get all the numbers tonight. The T4 was the only one I ask for specifically last night since I didn't have a way to write everything down when the vet called. We'll get a sample tonight before we go so they can run a fecal. Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a list of things to talk over with the vet tonight.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

Please have him checked for tick disease. Phoenix had babesia when I adopted him and it wasn't expensive to treat. Left untreated, TBDs can cause death.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.