Dry, Itchy, Flaky Skin

Guest 7ct5

Phoebe's skin has gotten increasingly drier over the past couple days....and she's itchier! Her fur looks like it has a lot more dandruff in it too- and I have noticed more shedding. I don't know the cause- it might be the weather change (going from a warmer-spring like New England to a much colder Ontario) or her diet.

• From Oct-Nov I fed her Orijen's fish formula, grain free. Her coat was not near full when I adopted her, and this food didn't seem to make any improvement but it didn't get worse.
  • In Dec, I switched to a new flavour of Orijens (didn't have the same one in US but still grain free), and she got really gassy! :blush So after a bag of that, I decided ...
  • In Jan- present, feed Taste of the Wild Salmon flavoured food (grain free)- and now I'm noticing the dry skin.

She does eat occasional biscuits with grains. I think if she had an allergy to them, I would have noticed a slight improvement by now? :huh

I've been thinking of bringing her into the vet's this week for it. She needs all her fur to stay ON with this weather! :lol She's on antibiotics right now for a wound and has a few days left, which is why the last vet I saw didn't really consider treating her for skin/hair loss at that time. But the noticeable increase in the past 2 days has me worried- any ideas or suggestions? ;)

This is the comparison from last year when I looked after her for a couple weeks to this year...I make this to show the vet, but he never got around to looking at it

2010-12-20.jpg

Guest sirsmom

I don't have experience with the foods you are feeding but the shedding and dryness may be due to something other than food. I would definitely have the vet take a look, maybe take a skin scraping and see what's going on.

I spoke to my vet on the phone and he thinks it would be thyroid-related. He also said some whippet/iggies develop baldness. Anyway, appointment is booked for Saturday!

Aside from any medical diagnosis that you might receive, I always give my guys a fish or salmon oil capsule with their first meal of the day. I have switched them to Avoderm food and their coats are like silk.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest mcsheltie

Dogs go through a coat blow, often accompanied by dandruff when you do a food change. Hope your vet finds any easy answer! Do ask for a complete thyroid panel to be done, don't diagnosis on free T4 test alone.

Thanks for the advice! I will look into getting fish oil capsules and ask about the full-panel thyroid tests.

I was also thinking, maybe it's the antibiotics she's on. Are dogs are allergic to clavamox? I can tell she's just so itchy right now- keeps rubbing her loose hair and dandruff on me <_<

Guest mcsheltie

Thanks for the advice! I will look into getting fish oil capsules and ask about the full-panel thyroid tests.

I was also thinking, maybe it's the antibiotics she's on. Are dogs are allergic to clavamox? I can tell she's just so itchy right now- keeps rubbing her loose hair and dandruff on me <_<

A reaction to Clavamox would be diarrhea and/or vomiting. You've got something else going on. Which could be anything from skin mites to contact or food allergy to a metabolic problem like thyroid

(big help aren't I :rolleyes: )

A reaction to Clavamox would be diarrhea and/or vomiting. You've got something else going on. Which could be anything from skin mites to contact or food allergy to a metabolic problem like thyroid

(big help aren't I :rolleyes: )

Eeek hope it's not mites! puke.gif

Vet appointment needs to be changed from Saturday- I have to attend a funeral :(. But I'll see if they can fit me in tomorrow or Monday.

Guest FreddyGirl

I use Omega 3-6-9 oil capsules-bought at BJs or Costco.

Vet also recommended vitamin e capsules for dry skin.

This was recommended for all my 4 dogs, 2 diagnosed hypothyroid.

Dogs go through a coat blow, often accompanied by dandruff when you do a food change. Hope your vet finds any easy answer! Do ask for a complete thyroid panel to be done, don't diagnosis on free T4 test alone.

McSheltie knows a lot about this stuff. I am certainly no expert but Kevin was getting more and more dry, flaky skin lately as the month we've had him progressed. I think it is a combination of his blowing his track/FL coat and growing one for New England and the food change. And the dry heat from the woodstove. He scratches a little. He had a bath at Petco by his first foster home (mid-November, right off the hauler) so we weren't going to bathe him, just keep brushing with the furminator. We considered a water-only bath so as not to strip his oils with a nice rub from a zoom groom. But then he soiled his crate and laid in it so he got a nice bath last night and he feels like silk and no more flaky skin. We'll see if that holds-up or if he develops it again. He's even more handsome now! I've also been giving him eggs and sardines. I plan to get some salmon oil for him and start adding it slowly.

So it could just be the food changes. It could be thyroid too. We went through the thryoid issues it with Sadie- and yes, full panel is absolutely necessary. B/c Phoebe's not a grey you don't need to worry about the grey-specific levels. But, food allergy is a possibility too. I think Sadie had a problem with corn (vomited and skin problems). We gave her Fresh Factors by Springtime, Inc. Supposedly that helps with coat. We gave it to her for her joints along with another supplement. But she always had an amazing white coat, softer and thicker than a bunny rabbit's so skin conditions showed on her belly/chest and rump.

I have also heard that stress can cause the flaky skin- but usually that is when dogs are coming off the track and I wonder if it has to do with their coats changing and foods changing as much as stress. You likely can put your finger on a more specific explanation, but as others have said, there are so many possibilities. Good luck with her tests. I'm sure they'll take a skin scraping if they suspect mites or a similar condition. Stay warm!

finalsiggy.jpg

What kind of heat do you have? Forced air heat is really hard on the skin (mine is driving me crazy) so if that's a switch with the move it could be a factor.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

we add hair of the dog to murray and bee's food. bee had very dry, red skin when we first adopted her. this product has worked wonders for bee's dry, itchy skin. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I definitely notice more dry skin in the winter time - both in the humans and dogs. We give fish oil capsules as a general supplement but it's great at helping with skin also. You can get it at any pharmacy, it doesn't need to be a dog-specific product (in fact I personally think that the human version tends to be better quality). What you want is fish oil (not cod liver oil, too much vit A and D) to give you Omega 3 (you don't want Omega 6 or 9 in there either).

Generally the starting dosage is one capsule per 30 lbs of dog's weight, and you can go up to a capsule per 10 lbs of weight. A standard capsule is normally 1000mg, and if you look on the label and add up the EPA and DHA numbers you should get 300mg - if you get less then you'll need to use more of them. It's important to start this slowly though, say a capsule every other day or so, as fish oil is a source of fat and thus can cause loose stools.

We have forced air heat and it's dried Gee's skin out something awful this winter and I've raised the amount of fish oil she's been getting to try and combat the itchy skin. She's fine the rest of the year but it's been really cold here this winter and we've had to use the heat more than normal and she's itchy again.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Just got back from the vets :colgate

Phoebe gets so nervous....she literally squealed when the vet tried to take a q-tip swap of her toes :rolleyes:

Anyway, the vet thinks it might be yeast infection related. But that doesn't explain the hair loss. Anyway, she prescribed Dermapet MalAcetic (a cream to apply to her feet) and Vanectyl T tablets which I think are for possible allergies. We'll take it from there and see if this works....I did mention all the things you guys suggested above (thyroid, etc), but she wants to start with this. I hope it's a simple fix, my 15-minute vet visit today was not wallet friendly :blush

Ohhh and I'm going to get some Omega-3 supplements. She also suggested Hill's allergy foods instead of what I am currently feeding (TOTW Salmon).

You know, I find almost every time I go to the vet they recommend their prescription food (usually Hill's), no matter what the issue is. And sometimes even when we're not having any issues! If I were you I'd wait to see if the test results show anything, get some of those Omega-3 supplements, and skip the crappy food.

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly ALWAYS seems to get dry skin when he's blowing his coat. The first time it happened he was very sick with IBD and we assumed it was because of that - he also went completely bald on his belly and his fur thinned on his thighs - but it happened again when he shed his summer coat in October. At the same time the fur on his belly/thighs grew back, so rather than going to the vet we added fish oil to his diet. We also found daily brushing with a shedding blade helped pull the loose fur out, and wiping him down with a damp cloth afterwards got rid of some of the flakes. It took almost 6 weeks before we noticed any change, but his coat's beautiful now... although I'm expecting another mega-shed when spring arrives!

If you're adding Omega-3 supplements, start with 1/2 - 1 capsule a day and slowly increase to the max amount over a few weeks to avoid dire-rear. Kelly's on 3000mg/day but he weighs 83lb so Phoebe may not need as much. She's a stunning girl, btw. smile.gif

If your dog is not gluten-allergic then you can give 1/2tsp/day of cold-ressed Wheatgerm Oil. This is super-rich in Vitamin E and got my dog a glossy coat back in under 2 weeks! I also used Sebocalm shampoo from the vet twice (it has a high-tech forumla with tiny spherules or something like that that gets in around the hair better).

Guest mcsheltie

Wheatgerm is also loaded with B vitamins. B vits pay a huge roll in coat & skin health, along with zinc. A large percentage of these can be alleviated by adding B vits.

Guest missecho

Try Chicken Soup for the Soul dogfood. Molly's coat looked horrible when we first got her--now it is sleek and shiny. We don't feed her supplements, due to gas issues, just jazz the food up with some cooked chicken and/or cottage cheese.

Anyway, the vet thinks it might be yeast infection related. But that doesn't explain the hair loss.

Ohhh and I'm going to get some Omega-3 supplements. She also suggested Hill's allergy foods instead of what I am currently feeding (TOTW Salmon).

Some dogs pull their hair out if something is causing their skin to itch. I wouldn't feed the Hills, imo the stuff is overpriced and full of crap.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...but there's really not much to difference at this point:

Phoebe is still on a medication for allergies (I think it's day 12 or something now)...the meds make her very hungry, thirsty and thus many more walks everyday rolleyes.gif....

She is also still getting a special lotion to help the potential "yeast" between her toes.

Still eating TWTO Salmon and getting an OMEGA-3 capsule with food.

....so far, no change. Her paws don't look any different and her skin is still dry. I know this may take awhile, but I'm beginning to think it's not allergies like the vet recommended...

I was doing some more reading on this topic online and read a couple sites that said the same thing many of you did- a thyroid test should be done, and BEFORE any allergy treatments are started. I wish my vet hadn't ruled that out so quickly in the first place....the first vet visit was already $175. wink.gif

Just got off the phone with the vet's office.

Cost for another visit and basic blood-work is $200 ... that would be two visits, with not much improvement for $475 eek.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely notice more dry skin in the winter time - both in the humans and dogs. We give fish oil capsules as a general supplement but it's great at helping with skin also. You can get it at any pharmacy, it doesn't need to be a dog-specific product (in fact I personally think that the human version tends to be better quality). What you want is fish oil (not cod liver oil, too much vit A and D) to give you Omega 3 (you don't want Omega 6 or 9 in there either).

Generally the starting dosage is one capsule per 30 lbs of dog's weight, and you can go up to a capsule per 10 lbs of weight. A standard capsule is normally 1000mg, and if you look on the label and add up the EPA and DHA numbers you should get 300mg - if you get less then you'll need to use more of them. It's important to start this slowly though, say a capsule every other day or so, as fish oil is a source of fat and thus can cause loose stools.

Why don't you want Omegas 6 and 9? I thought they were supposed to be given in proportion to each other. Has anyone used Flax seed oil as a source of Omea 3, 6, and 9?

june