It's 3Am...

Guest issy

Just 8 days after our first episode, Enzo has the big d again, and vomiting (most likely because he ate his poo :( we were gone just over an hour and he pottied in his crate and ate it. I don't think I've ever cleaned up anything worse than poo-vomit :rolleyes: ). He can't get comfy in his crate because all he has are towels right now to sleep on, and there's no way I could even begin to try and sleep (like Dh, mere inches away from me and snoring peacefully).

Talked to my adoption rep again tonight, and she's wondering if this is all a string or related problems. Since we've been keeping Enzo's diet especially tame (kibble, water, and a tiny bit of pumpkin and dried duck jerky for treats), it makes no sense that he's gotten sick - unless it's two isolated viruses? His diet is constant. And if it was worms, wouldn't they be a continual d-fest?

He's never had great poop, but he hasn't been on one food for more than 1.5 months. After the first 1.5 we switched from costco chicken to the costco lamb. It's been about the same, really. And a food doesn't just "randomly" cause watery poops.

Enzo's got a terribly dry coat, and doesn't shed it much at all...he's lost hair since he's been here (thighs and on top of head, no rash), and has had hair loss on his tail in patches since day 1. I don't know if tail skin is just thicker, but it's leathery in those parts. We give him a daily omega-3 fish capsule, which hasn't helped in that respect.

He has very dry skin, and has itchy patches in places that he chews on. We've tried to stop the chewing, and it's gotten better, but hes got skin patches where he's chewed and the hair is gone. Negative for mites, so I began applying apple cider vinegar to the area once every couple of days and he's since stopped chewing - so a possible yeast infection? Why the skin infection?

Maybe I'm searching out symptoms. It sounds like hypothyroidism. Needless to say, vet tomorrow morning. Enzo's dehydrated (sticky gums) but hasn't tolerated water (vomited that up with the last of the poo) so I've been rationing ice cubes. My heart skips a beat every time I hear his collar jingle..I wish he could just sleep peacefully.

The only thing else I can think of is that he tries to snag deer poop whenever he can, and is sometimes successful... like yesterday.

Any thoughts? Commiseration?

Enzo just stood up and whined in his crate, so I took him out but he wasn't feeling it (it's 14*F here). We came back in and he pulled pulled pulled on the leash to be let onto the futon (where we've been sleeping in the living room since he's got sick the first time). My heart broke and I gave in, so now he's snoozing cuddled up next to DH, who probably has no idea he's there even though I woke him up to tell him :lol . At least he's comfy and resting, and I'm on super-alert to rush him outside or hold a bowl under his mouth if he acts like he's going to explode from an orifice.

Vet visit is a good idea.

How long have you had him? Worms or giardia more likely than hypothyroidism; I would test for both and probably worm even if the fecal is negative. In addition, the jerkies sometimes come with nice things like salmonella altho that's a bit of a longshot.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What kind of food are you feeding him? It could be a food allergy. I would also rule out worms or giardia before I looked for hypothyriodism.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Have you tried a grain free food? He might have a food allergy.

You could also try a fish based food since he's already had chicken and lamb.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Nothing worse than knowing something is wrong, can't figure out what, or why, and what to do about it.

My only suggestion is to make sure the vet does a complete fecal: gram stain as well as float & smear. Sometimes

ickies show up on the gram stain that they don't see in the other.

Prayers for Enzo, strength for you.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest Greytluv

:kiss2 Enzo :candle

Be sure to send the blood panel to Hemopet to let Dr. Dodds look at it. You can send your blood there, too and have them test it.

eta: to add link blush.gif

Edited by Greytluv

Enzo seems a bit better this morning, definitely lethargic - poor thing had a rough night. Thank you all for the suggestions, we are taking him to the vet in an hour. No fecal samples this morning - no poop, or watery poop even. He's an empty dog. I'll look into the food options - he's currently on Kirkland's Lamb and rice, and was on the same brand's chicken and rice before. I know last night my mind was just doing the worst-case-scenario thing...even though it would be a simple fix with no guesswork, I guess. We're trying a new vet, he's only seen the other one once anyhow. Thank you for all your thoughts.

My foster came to me with a skin infection. We did antibiotics for 10 days, then another 4 weeks. Even while on the abs, he was getting more bald spots, so we now think its an allergy. I've taken him completely off chicken and no more bald spots. Good luck.

My foster came to me with a skin infection. We did antibiotics for 10 days, then another 4 weeks. Even while on the abs, he was getting more bald spots, so we now think its an allergy. I've taken him completely off chicken and no more bald spots. Good luck.

Enzo seems a bit better this morning, definitely lethargic - poor thing had a rough night. Thank you all for the suggestions, we are taking him to the vet in an hour. No fecal samples this morning - no poop, or watery poop even. He's an empty dog. I'll look into the food options - he's currently on Kirkland's Lamb and rice, and was on the same brand's chicken and rice before. I know last night my mind was just doing the worst-case-scenario thing...even though it would be a simple fix with no guesswork, I guess. We're trying a new vet, he's only seen the other one once anyhow. Thank you for all your thoughts.

How is Enzo doing?

I posted a reply to you days ago, but I posted it to the wrong thread! I was going to suggest checking for intestinal malabsorption.

So any news after seeing the vet?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I would try feeding Enzo plain, boiled white rice with poached chicken mixed into it. When Mr. Nick (13 yrs) gets diarrhea, that seems to settle him down. I put in a generous amount of water too. If he's vomiting, mix in unflavored pedialyte instead of water. Feed small quantities to him 3 to 5 times a day. After a day or two, you should see some improvement. If so, increase the portions and decrease the servings to 3 times (assuming you are feeding 2x a day) and then slowly add in the kibble. The first time, add in about 1/4 the normal amount of kibble. If it were me, I'd stick with the chicken and rice as a lot of dogs don't tolerate lamb all that well. Makes them gassy! Phewwwww......

Elaine