Muzzle Questions/thoughts

Guest katethegreyt

Guest katethegreyt

I'm brand new to the board and am planning to adopt a grey (my first!) in the next few months. I've read a lot about the breed and am currently pouring through several books from the library - I love to research = ) I've also scanned through the posts on this board quite a bit. Anyway, I have some questions about muzzles that have stuck in my head after reading much about the subject. (For some point of reference, I have no problem with muzzling.)

Muzzle thoughts/questions: It's obviously very common for greys to be muzzled, though you hear far less about it in other breeds. It makes sense that it's easy to use them on a retired racer, since it's been an everyday thing for them for a long time. It also makes sense that they can get a bit nippy during runs since they are bred to win and be competitive while running. Plus greys have quite thin skin that is easily torn, so it also seems obvious to use them when a pack of greys are out together.

So one question I have for greyhound owners: do you think more dogs in general (not just greyhounds) should be muzzled? Or are there particular behavior traits that greyhounds have that make it more necessary for them? I'm just wondering if greyhound owners have an easier time muzzling or choosing to muzzle since their dogs come pretty acclimated to the situation. In other words, you don't have to have the bleeding heart feeling a lot of new dog owners have about something like a muzzle, so you don't mind using the tool in a situation where owners of other breeds might not because they are uncomfortable with the idea of a muzzle.

It's just the more incidents I see/read about at dog parks and typical doggy interactions (with any breed) and the lack of owner responsibility you find in many dog owners, it seems to me that perhaps muzzling shouldn't be as breed specific to greys as it appears to be. I know other people with different breeds that muzzle, but it tends to be rarer, so I'm just curious as to greyhound owners thoughts on the topic - if you had/have another breed, would you use a muzzle as often?

I'm also curious as to situations where you would recommend I use a muzzle with my new grey (who I have not gotten yet so don't have any temperament specifics.) Obviously some of this might adjust after the settling in period and as we get to know each others quirks. I do not have another dog and don't plan to get one soon, but I do have two cats (which I know will require some work and close observation for awhile).

- I have a lot of friends with dogs but only one with a greyhound, so let's say we want to hang out with the dogs at one another's house/yard. Would you recommend muzzling for all introductions even if the other dog isn't wearing one? I would like to encourage doggy social time if my dog is interested, so I'm wondering how y'all usually proceed when making (and keeping) new doggy friends as far as the muzzle goes.

- I also have cats, so I plan to utilize the better safe than sorry method and be very careful for the first long while and keep a muzzle on when cats are present.

- Should I muzzle by default on walks? And how many of you continue this indefinitely even once you know you have a perfect angel dog? (Not that what others think would affect my using a muzzle, just wondering.)

- Do you get a lot of weird responses from people when you show up with a muzzled dog? My sister muzzles her dog, and people always assume she's a menace to society.

- It would seem I may need to avoid the dog park for a good bit until we get to know each other quite well. Granted, it wouldn't bother me terribly if we could never be dog park regulars.

- Let's say we go sit at the park or cafe, stroll about town, etc. Muzzles the norm?

I guess I'm also interested in how many on here are muzzle sticklers indefinitely and how many are more relaxed as they get to know their dogs. I gather that some on here muzzle quite often even if they trust their dog. Others seem to be a lot more comfortable letting their trusted greys out and about without a muzzle. I just would like to hear from others with more greyhound experience so I don't get suckered into being too trusting (for example: I've already figured that off leash in an unenclosed area is pretty much never okay with a sighthound no matter how much you trust them and how well they usually come.)

Anyway, although this breed seems overall pretty "easy" compared to others, they clearly have their quirks = ) I just want to gather knowledge from a more experienced crowd. Thanks for the guidance!

Guest Lakota

I am no expert, and will definately defer my opinion to the more experienced in the group. But I would like to point out one rookie mistake that I made (and luckily got away with). Having had dogs before, and never had the need to muzzle them, on Lakota's first night home I took her for a walk. Even though the rescue group had provided me with a muzzle, and I intended to use it as necessarry, I failed to even think of it when I leashed her up for the evening pee walk. We were about 1/2 a block up the street when we ran into a neighbour with her new tiny fluffy puppy. Since she knew me, she was excited to show off her new pup and let him run up to us a bit. I was terrified. Thoughts of her attacking this little fluffy ran through my head, and it would have been my fault. Fortunately, Lakota as it turns out, is very good with small dogs, and has little prey drive at all.

The situation could have turned out much differently. so my word of caution, until you are absolutely certain, you would be best to muzzle on all walks.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

1) Yes I wish all breeds came with muzzles, muzzle training... and wore them at off leash dog parks!

2) I wouldn't muzzle my hounds on normal walks unless I had a seriously dangerous high prey dog that was out of control and would grab and kill a small dog that approached

3) Hanging out downtown/lunching/strolling, never unless same as the point above

4) I do get strange looks but there's only so many dog parks and I think I have covered them all and by now it's pretty well known in most circles that greyhounds are muzzled until we know how they'll react to small dogs. A few other hound owners have given me hell for it- one now muzzles hers after a small dog incident she had with a foster, and I am pretty sure the other has likely changed her tune after a bad incident- though she still doesn't muzzle her own dogs that I know of. I really don't like saying "I told you so" in these cases, but in both of them, I could have.

5) Muzzles can be good for dogs with injuries- I have a broken hock dog here right now who wanted to chew his cast off. Muzzle with stool cup = problem solved without resorting to a "lamp shade" collar.

6) Muzzles can and should be used for introductions to small dogs and cats

7) Muzzles can be useful when first leaving the dog alone in the house, for trips (sharing the car with another hound), and other situations, like nail trims and vet visits. I only own sighthounds, so the hound muzzles fit all my dogs, and I use them with all my dogs.

8) I do coursing and amateur racing, and I use them then, even occasionally in coursing where it's not required. It keeps the dogs from nipping one another in excitement, from fighting at the end of the course, and from grabbing the line/lure.

Finally, CONGRATS, welcome to GT, and kudos to you for doing so much research!!! Do you have any ideas yet which hounds you'll be choosing from? We all love pics here!

I only muzzle Summer when she's playing with multiple greyhounds. We don't do mixed breed dog parks, we have no need with plenty of greyhound playdate opportunities every week. Would I muzzle in a dog park? No, she needs to be able to defend herself. And my understanding of dog parks is that the small dogs are supposed to be separated anyway. If I have to go to and it isn't terribly organized and the people aren't observant and proactive, then I would go early to avoid issues.

One thing to keep in mind is that muzzles on other breeds are not the same as muzzles on greyhounds. Muzzles on other breeds, at least every one I've ever seen, keeps their mouths closed. Unlike the greyhound muzzles which have plenty of room inside them.

Edit: And if she had an injury that she was picking at, I would also muzzle her. I'd rather put the muzzle on a sighthound than an E-collar. I also don't use the "kennel muzzle" or "basket muzzle". I find them too heavy and I can't see her pretty face through it. I use a nice, light muzzle.

Here's a good comparison picture. Summer is on the left in her black muzzle and the other dog on the right is wearing the heavier basket muzzle. See what I mean?

DSCF2320FavoftheDay.jpg

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest sandlot13433

I have a unique situation having all very high prey dogs. I muzzle any time we will be out and I am not sure if we will encounter a small dog. That includes the vet's office, and we always wait in the car until a room opens up so we don't have to sit in the waiting room where people have their cats and small fluffies. I always believe it is better to be safe than sorry. Other people do get a bad impression when they see a muzzled dog, but many ask me why they are muzzled, and I always tell them that they are great with people, they just might try to eat something on a walk, like garbage on the side of the road, and that they are not sure what cats and small dogs are, so this keeps them safe. People seem to be very understanding of that. I do wish more people used muzzles, or that the stigma of muzzles would go away. I use them in the car to prevent a warning snap from turning into a $1000 vet bill due to that thin skin! Welcome to GT! It's a great great group of people with so much knowledge and experience! Can't wait to meet your hound!!!

I have 10 greyhounds and 1 JRT and they ALL wear muzzles when outside playing and running, including my JRT. They wore muzzles when each dog was introduced into the house and until I felt comfortable enough for them to have them off. Dog parks are the difficult and I would never muzzle my greyhound there if all the others weren't muzzled. You will see in greyhound playgroups that all hounds are muzzled. If you have company over or even have more than one hound, a good rule of thumb is muzzle one, muzzle all. If you muzzle just one, that dog is at a disadvantage because it can't protect itself if it needs to.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I never muzzle my dogs at all breed dog parks. It leaves them defenceless. I almost always muzzle then when they are romping around with multiple greyhounds. In the beginning, I carry a muzzle with me when walking them, just in case. I muzzle Treasure whenever I'm not home because she enjoys smacking on laptop AC adaptors when they are plugged into an outlet.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest dizzyLu72

I'm a rookie owner as well.. I've only had Jacob for 5 months but here is what I have done.

I muzzled Jacob when:

1 - First coming into my house

2 - First introduced him to my 4 yr old nephew

3 - First introduction with parents dog and my neighbors dog (that he sees on a daily basis now)

4 - I'll probably be meeting with a new greyhound friend and 2 of her other non grey dogs.. I'll take the muzzle for that occasion too.

5 - went out of town, stayed with friends that had a 5 yr old and another non grey.. took muzzle as precaution, but never needed it.

I didn't/don't muzzle Jacob at the dog park because like mentioned earlier he needs to be able to protect himself in that kind of situation. AND, as mentioned earlier.. if he goes after a small dog.. it's the small dog owners fault in my opinion.. there is a small dog park just across the fence where they are "supposed" to be.

Guest RobinAZ

I have had GreyCee for over a year and never had to muzzle her until we got Layla. Layla likes to tear things up. When I am home I watch her closely, but when we are gone both dogs get muzzled. I think Layla will outgrow this, she is only 2.5 years. She just has a ball tearing up pillows and stuff and I can't get mad at her because it's quite cute. But to keep her from getting to something valuable, she's muzzled.

Guest KennelMom

We use muzzles when it's appropriate. For that, you have to know your dogs and the situation they're in. When in doubt, it's usually safer to muzzle. We have a 18 month old greyhound that was born here and she accepts a muzzle just as easily as any of the retired racers. It's about training. Most "regular" pet dogs have none.

- I have a lot of friends with dogs but only one with a greyhound, so let's say we want to hang out with the dogs at one another's house/yard. Would you recommend muzzling for all introductions even if the other dog isn't wearing one? I would like to encourage doggy social time if my dog is interested, so I'm wondering how y'all usually proceed when making (and keeping) new doggy friends as far as the muzzle goes.

>>> I would not muzzle my dog around other dogs that are not muzzles. Sorry, not gonna leave my dog defenseless. The exception would be if they were around a small dog, like a fragile IG or chihuahua that they could quite easily kill even with a muzzle.

- I also have cats, so I plan to utilize the better safe than sorry method and be very careful for the first long while and keep a muzzle on when cats are present.

>>>>> good idea. Just remember that muzzles are just a precaution. They can still kill a small animal through a muzzle....usually by crushing them. But, you might be surprised how much of another animal will squish through muzzle holes.

- Should I muzzle by default on walks? And how many of you continue this indefinitely even once you know you have a perfect angel dog? (Not that what others think would affect my using a muzzle, just wondering.)

>>>> I never, ever, ever, ever muzzle my dogs on a walk. There is no reason to and it renders them defenseless in the event of a loose dog attack.

- Do you get a lot of weird responses from people when you show up with a muzzled dog? My sister muzzles her dog, and people always assume she's a menace to society.

>>>>If you walk a dog muzzled, pretty much everyone will assume your dog is mean or vicious. A few may ask, but most won't.

- It would seem I may need to avoid the dog park for a good bit until we get to know each other quite well. Granted, it wouldn't bother me terribly if we could never be dog park regulars.

>>>>um...yeah...I'm not a fan of dog parks at all. I think they're generally filled with clueless owners, out of control dogs and are an accident waiting to happen. Greyhounds have thin skin and don't typically play like other breeds of dogs.

- Let's say we go sit at the park or cafe, stroll about town, etc. Muzzles the norm?

>>>No. Why would you think it's necessary? Generally speaking, greyhounds are very well behaved. They will be exposed to new situations, but it's your job as the owner to make sure they don't get overwhelmed or pressed in to a situation where they feel biting might be necessary. Generally speaking, if your retired racing greyhound bites in public, you've failed somewhere.

Guest katethegreyt

Thanks for all the great replies!

To respond to a couple of points:

1) I didn't mean for my tone to seem paranoid or overly "bubble wrap everything" safety crazy (because I'm not). Overall, I know greys tend to be quite well behaved - that's one of the reasons I want one, haha. I just wanted to get a feel for how experienced grey owners tended to use muzzles, since they seem to be used more regularly with the breed = ) I would expect to typically not have to muzzle my dog on walks and most casual outings, but I know a lot on here use them pretty frequently, so I thought I'd see what the general consensus was. And I know this will vary a lot by individual, as with all animal training, haha. Makes sense to just keep one on hand for awhile in case it is needed until we get to know each other more.

2) I've seen enough to figure muzzles when others are not (dog park, etc) is usually not a great idea. And I have to say I agree with most on dog parks - usually full of irresponsible and inattentive owners who have no clue about behavior signals and cues - see the same thing on playgrounds for kids! Ah! Unfortunately most people who get dogs (and animals in general) do not understand the time and training requirement all animals need. I think some all greyhound outings sound like a fun alternative.

3) I will definitely be careful with the kitties despite the muzzle. I've talked to a couple of people and read a bit about introduction ideas, so hopefully we won't have too many unforeseen issues. Ha!

4) @ owned by summer: I like the look of your muzzle - do they have a different name or are they hard to find at all? I assume they generally give you the basket type at adoption?

5) Vet's office - definitely! A lot of people bring little fluffies and kids with them who have no idea how to behave around new animals, and the little fluffies are often so poorly trained, unfortunately. Yikes...

This thread makes me feel much better than the "why they give us muzzles" thread = ) That's probably why I felt the need to explore the subject further, haha.

Here's where I got mine, however, it's in Canada. Awesome Paws. I'm sure she could ship it but I don't know what it would cost. There must be a distributor in the US but when I google both "UK muzzle" and "American muzzle", I don't get anywhere. Perhaps if you contact Awesome Paws, they could direct you to somewhere or maybe the shipping isn't all that bad.

Edit: I have two of these. One is in my "dog bag" which I take to greyhound runs (muzzle, water bottle, poop bags, bandages, squawker, etc.) and the other is in my trunk as a just-in-case. I would have used the kennel/basket muzzle as my spare muzzle but it was very, very smelly from the kennel and even soaking it in mouthwash didn't get the smell out, so be aware that it could arrive with your dog yet not be usable.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

Guest zombrie

My two greys, golden and german shepherd ALL wear muzzles when outside together. I would never muzzle my dog when another dog, especially one I don't know well/don't know how they will get along isn't wearing one. It leaves the muzzled dog completely defenseless if the unmuzzled dog decides to go after him.

I have no problem muzzling when it is necessary. It is a safety tool. I work at a greyhound rescue so muzzling is part of my everyday life so I see no issue with it. BUT people who normally don't see muzzles, see it as being mean to the dog, and that is why you don't see other breeds wearing them (for the most part).

I muzzle Maddie when we go to Greyhound events, Beachbound Hounds, and Mountain Hounds and she will be in the hotel by herself. Reason being is that she has seperation anxiety and she once chewed a hotel door (that was my mistake not hers) as she was on her seperation anxiety medication and I thought she would be fine.

I also muzzle as we have to when we are lure racing, or at playgroup or when there are more then 1 dog that we are not familiar with. Maddie still has a high prey drive.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest cyndiandsaoirse

I concur with the other comments- the gist is: know your dog, and better safe than sorry.

Just a comment about your cats- my adoption group gave me this tip, and it worked so well. If you can, choose one room that is the "cat only" room and put a baby gate across it. Locate the litter box, food and water as well as beds and cat toys in that room, so the cats know it is theirs. They will quickly learn to jump the gate. Do this a week or so before your grey arrives. This gives the cats an area to chill out and get away from the grey. Depending on your cats and your grey, they may or may not need it, may only need it during the initial adjustment, may need it long term. You will know after the first month.

Hopefully your adoption group does thorough testing for prey drive, and is giving you a low prey grey bc you own cats.

My grey defers to my cat, because she is low prey (inside) and my cat is definitely alpha of the whole house! But don't get lulled if your grey gets along with your cats indoors. Outdoors is a different story- my grey will chase anything small and furry when we're outside, including my scary alpha cat who once accidentally got out!

Keep doing your research and asking questions here- you will get to know your grey quickly, and it sounds like she/he is getting a wonderful home! Good luck!

Another cat hint: Pull your furniture out from the walls. Just enough for the kitty to slip in behind but not enough for the greyhound! This will give the kitty multiple hiding places.

Lisa B.

Guest Jubilee251

The only time I used muzzles on my guys was when we first brought them home, as we have a cat and didn't yet trust them not to eat the cat or tear up the house. We also muzzle in greyhound playgroups.

I do NOT muzzle when at a regular dog park - like everyone else said, I don't want to leave my dogs defenceless if anything were to happen. That being, I'm very careful about when I go so there is almost no one there. I do not muzzle them on walks, when we take them to outdoor cafes, etc. I don't muzzle them in the home anymore, since they've proven to be trustworthy.

Guest mom2hounds

When we got Forti, Our adoption group told us she flunked the cat test. Not a problem as I am allergic to cats, so no cats at our house. But our vet has office cats. It was a good thing I decided to muzzle her for her first vet visit. I knew the cats are loose in the building. Forti saw a cat and just about jumped over the receptionists desk to get it. I will always muzzle her when I know small furry animals are around. I also have begun using the muzzle in our fenced in yard because she thinks poo is a snack. Yuck! My other 2 non greys are not muzzled when they are out with her. I keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't get rough with each other.

I muzzle Carl & Claire when I leave the house. Carl has separation anxiety and the muzzle seems to act as a security blanket (strangely enough) for him and like Judy said, if one is muzzled both are muzzled. I also muzzle them in the car (not if it's a solo dog ride, but those are few and far between) as Carl has panicked in the car and had screaming fits when his leash tangled in his legs. If he had done that with Claire in the car I might have had a bloody dog fight in the backseat. So, leashes are up high away from feet and both are muzzled. I never muzzled Carl in a dog park, he would not be able to protect himself. Because they wear their muzzles in the car we always have muzzles available if needed. I've muzzled them when in a big fenced in area with greyhounds running and playing, too.

I forgot to add that I have both the US type muzzle and Australian muzzles. I really like the Australian ones, they are super lightweight and seem less restrictive, but still very safe.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I rarely muzzle Summit. I muzzle him when we go to greyhound runs and all the dogs are muzzled. I would never muzzle him unless all other dogs are muzzled as I want him to be able to bite back if he gets attacked. A muzzle won't stop a fight from happening. Even if both dogs are muzzled, if they decide they're going to fight they will... they just won't be able to do as much damage. If only my dog is muzzled and him and another dog don't like each other, they're still going to start a fight, but my dog isn't going to be able to bite back. Summit is very low prey drive so I have no concerns about him attacking small dogs. If I was worried about that then I might muzzle him with small dogs until they were used to each other, but he loves small dogs. I did briefly muzzle him when I let my rabbits out. The rabbits each have their own cages and their room is baby gated off (it always has been to keep them in if I don't want them all over the house) so I can let them out in there and not worry about the dog. But I also like having them out in the living room with me when I watch t.v. So initially I muzzled Summit when the rabbit was out, and then I graduated him to not being muzzle with me sitting on the floor right next to him with a hand on his collar watching like a hawk. Now I trust him enough to sit on the couch and keep an eye on them. The rabbit can get under the couch and the dog can't follow. Honestly though, the moment I show up with a rabbit and put it on the ground, Summit usually gets up and walks to the bedroom and goes in his crate.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Wasserbuffel

I kept Jayne muzzled when she first met the cats, of course. I also muzzled her on our first few trips out and about to pet stores and her well-doggy visit to the vet, because I didn't know her and didn't want to take any chances. I also used the muzzle when introducing her to my ducks and chickens.

Now she's only muzzled when we go to playgroup. She's an only dog and has shown no aggression toward the cats, even the one that slaps her, so she's not muzzled in the house.

I was thinking of asking some muzzle questions myself but don't want to hijack so I will start another thread later today. I never used a muzzle on Sadie as we weren't provided with one and it never occurred to me to get one because she was so well behaved. Kevin (who we have had 4 weeks today) is another story. Great with everything living but at least once a day he puts something in his mouth he shouldn't. We just watch him right now and crate him when we can't. But we bring the muzzle to the vet. And until I know how he is with little dogs reliably I will continue to muzzle him at the vet and at friend's houses who have small dogs/cats. I might have gotten some looks at the vet but it did not bother me. I'm proud of my ex-racer and if people are taken aback by the muzzle I suppose it's better than the alternative. But as soon as we saw the coast was clear off came the muzzle!

Beautiful picture of Summer romping- such a pretty girl!

I'll post my muzzle questions in another thread.

finalsiggy.jpg