Jeffy

Took Jeffy in for his rabies vaccs this week. I had been having some minor concerns over a few seemingly unrelated issues, 1. my previously picky eater is suddenly scarfing down everything and begging for treats and food. 2. He has been scratching and had some little bumps on his fur. 3. He's been getting an audibly growly tummy, can hear it across the room. No real poop problems but lots of flatulence (yeah I know, he's a greyhound :lol )

I hadn't got to my list of complaints yet other than the bumps when my vet said 'he looks thinner to me, let's go weigh him'

Turns out he is losing weight, and he didn't have extra in the way of padding to start with.

She said she suspects Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency but wanted to do a 3 day fecal to rule out any beasties and also a food switch to rule out any allergies, though he is on his 3rd food and all of them have been grain free and premium, with differing protein sources. It is an enzyme added food or something.

I feel bad that I didn't notice he was losing weight and I am worried (yeah, that is my nature anyway :lol )

Anyone here have ane EPI experience they would like to share with me?

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

No experience....just well wishes!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Poor Jeffy. My Dalmatian suffered from it. First of all, there is a great website (http://www.epi4dogs.com) that has tons of information.

The hallmark of EPI is loose and greasy yellow stool with lots of gas. Lovely, I know. EPI dogs tend to be voracious because they are literally starving. The TLI test will tell your vet whether or not Jeffy has EPI.

Viokase is by far the most expensive medication -- there are many others that are 1/2 the price, but have the same ingredients.

I would also strongly suggest using the powder instead of the pills, it seems to work better. The powder does need to be put on the food, then dampened with lukewarm water and then sit for approximately 15 minutes to "activate". My Meg did well on PanaKare Plus until the company changed the carrier product, then she had to go on VioKase. There is another product, Turbo-Zyme, that is supposed to be the equivalent. A dog may do poorly on one product and great on another. You may have to start with a high dose, then slowly try to cut the dose to get the least amount needed for control.

Here are a couple of places where less expensive alternatives to Viokase can be found:

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com

http://www.omahavaccine.com

My Dal was on Purina Canine EN dry food and had EXTREMELY limited treats -- she could eat carrots and plain un-buttered hot air popped corn. I didn't know about Burpdog biscuits at the time, but they would have been okay too. I know many people have had success managing EPI with grain free diets. You have to be religious about keeping them on a diet that keeps them under control.

I talked to one person who had a local butcher cut up pig pancreas and would freeze it, then defrost to put in her dog's food. I couldn't bring myself to do that, even though that is the main component of all the enzyme replacement pills and powders.

Please give Jeffy a hug for me and feel free to PM if you want more info.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Thanks Beverly, I am not yet completely convinced he has it, although he seems to have every symptom, except the main one, poop issues. He gets mush poop sometimes but not always and though somtimes yellowish not the cow plop or owl pellet descriptions I've seen as typical EPI. Can they have EPI and not have

I am still hopeful that the fecal will turn up something instead. Also she gave me a new food for him and wants me to give him that with no treats (oh the horror, this will be really hard on me) for 2 months.

Edited by Mystella

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Here's hoping the C&S on the poop turns up something and antibiotics will knock it out! Sounds like Jeff might have intestinal malabsorption for some reason. We went through all this with Spencer, who ended up with IBD. A novel protein will be required if you get to that stage, so be careful not to exhaust the whole spectrum of protein sources while you're figuring things out. You don't want to end up having to feed kangaroo! Wish you the best and hope it gets sorted soon.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

See if you can fool Jeffy for a while with the new kibble. At times when he'd normally get a treat, get all happy-voiced and slip him a couple of bits of the kibble as if it were a great prize.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

YAY here is a weird statement for you - Jeffy has Giardia and I am so happy

last fecal didn't catch it but we did a 3 sample one this time and it caught it. I am going in today to get his meds. Doc said it doesn't often cause the kind of weight loss and excessive hunger Jeff is displaying, but that sometimes it does so 'lets treat the horse before we worry about the zebra'