Small Wound - How Serious?

Guest linsaui

Guest linsaui

We picked up our retired racer, Buster, from a kennel today. (My husband and I had to be away for the holidays :( ) When we picked him up, all seemed okay at first... until we noticed a new scab on his side and noticeable weight loss. Buster has since bitten the wound open and it's looking pretty yucky. Buster's our first greyhound, and we're not entirely sure what to do at this point. I'll attach a photo of the wound. It's not really bleeding, just open. (Note: I did apply some ointment so it looks a little extra ooze-y.) Do you think it requires a vet visit, or should we cover it with some gauze and hope he doesn't fuss over it? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lindsay & Andy

Photo 1 - Looks a little worse than it is. The bit to the left is the scab, not the wound.

Photo 2

Guest DarkHorse

Did you get a basket muzzle with him when you adopted him? If so, pop that on him now. Keep it on except for when you're feeding him so that he doesn't go nipping at it again. If he starts trying to lick through the muzzle, you can use a poop guard or duct tape over the end (if you use duct tape, make sure he's able to drink: if not, you'll need to take it off for him to drink). Try to keep the wound clean (a small size women's t-shirt put on him should help). If it doesn't start to scab up within the next few days or if it starts to show any signs of infection, take him to the vet for antibiotics.

If it's not bleeding, it can wait until tomorrow. A small tear can become bigger on a Greyhound (thin skin). It' looks like it could be a little deep(?). (Maybe from another dog's tooth(?).) If so, it might need a stitch or two. I'd be on the safe side and have it seen by a vet on a non-emergency appt. I'd pour Hydrogen Peroxide over it, then antibiotic ointment. Tough place to bandage. As others mentioned, a loose but gathered Tee-shirt helps. A muzzle might help from your hound licking off the ointment. If you have to use duct tape (as mentioned previously) just tape the lower half, but stop at the base of the nose, leaving plenty of open air access for breathing.

Greys are so sensitive, many don't do too well in boarding facilities. Great if you can make other Greyhound friends locally, and offer to watch each other's hounds during trips. ;)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Welcome and congratulations! Buster looks like a very handsome hound!

If it was me, I would clean the wound completely, let it dry then apply ointment. As mine would all lick lick lick - as I suspect Buster has done, I would put a t-shirt on him. Just gather the extra fabric and secure with a scrunchie. I would only head to a vet if it starts to look inflamed or infected

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I would let the vet determine medical treatment. Doesn't look like an emergency but, the wound may be infected or may be deeper than you think. I would also call the boarding kennel and make them aware of the injury and the weight loss which occured while your pup was under their care. IMO they are responsible for the vet bills.

Oh, and welcome!!!!

Welcome to GT! Treatment may be a toss up because of the "V" shaped flap. The tissue still looks healthy, so there may be a chance that it could heal without intervention, although there will be a scar. It would be a simple couple of stitches (personal opinion: I'm not a fan of staples for thin skinned greys) after snipping off the flap and cleaning the wound, if Buster is cooperative, your Vet recommends that course of treatment and can do it without sedation. If it were me: I would have the Vet check it out, and lean toward non-surgical treatment.

Important note: It is imperative to call the kennel IMMEDIATELY and find out what caused the wound! The cause could put a whole different "spin" on the course of treatment! Was it caused by another dog or some other protrusion (nail, screw, staple) or a bush/branch? If it was caused by another dog, there may be laws in your city/county/state that come into play. If it was caused by something else, your Vet may recommend a different course of treatment. Please emphasize this to the kennel owners - appeal to their good nature so that you don't put Buster through any unnecessary procedures/treatment. Good luck!!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest linsaui

Thank you all for your help! We took Buster in to see the Vet this morning. She recommended we just use his muzzle or a cone. Wound is nasty looking, but not quite deep enough to warrant stitches. I think my husband and I are a bit overly paranoid when it comes to these sorts of things, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Thanks again :)

I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Welcome...and I agree!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Welcome -- and we all have been there! I now have several (unopened) bottles of hydrogen peroxide in the house, along with an assortment of children's t-shirts, ointments, bandages, and even super glue! As you need to, you'll build an arsenal of the products that you find you don't want to be without around the house (which will include many collars, coats, and probably greyhound art, I'm sure) My newest learning (which others here have known for YEARS) is that a toothbrush and doggie toothpaste (and using them) can make a long-term difference on your hounds' health ...

Welcome again ... and looking forward to many pictures in other categories besides Halth & Medical!!

Guest Sunset123

Welcome -- and we all have been there! I now have several (unopened) bottles of hydrogen peroxide in the house, along with an assortment of children's t-shirts, ointments, bandages, and even super glue! As you need to, you'll build an arsenal of the products that you find you don't want to be without around the house (which will include many collars, coats, and probably greyhound art, I'm sure) My newest learning (which others here have known for YEARS) is that a toothbrush and doggie toothpaste (and using them) can make a long-term difference on your hounds' health ...

Welcome again ... and looking forward to many pictures in other categories besides Halth & Medical!!

I have such a huge dog first-aid arsenal, including dog socks and pants! The pants, I made them myself by modifying some old cotton pj pants, have come in handy a number of times for protecting anything on the butt, flanks, tail, and back legs from being licked.