Eating Issue - Health Or Behavior?

sobesmom

Diana's always been thin. And very muscular, even without a great amount of exercise. She does MOVE a lot more than other greys, just in her around-the-house time.

I've tried to put a little more weight on her at several times over the years though the various methods. An extra feeding per day, higher calorie food, fat balls, etc. I've tried every method I've read on GT.

She'll go for it for a couple days - then balk. Just not eat. Then after a day, she'll go back to eating her "regular" amount. If I gradually increase her food, she'll go for it for a couple days, then only eat her "regular" amount. I swear the girl has a calorie guide in her brain! WISH I DID! :lol

I quit trying. She's healthy, happy and active.

Now, however... she's a bit "off". She doesn't even get up at feeding time unless I call her, then she looks at the food, looks at me, and half-heartedly eats. I'm not overfeeding her or trying any "fattening" tricks. I've changed foods. No interest. She still eats, just seems to do it because I "told" her to.

She IS alone now for the first time in her life. Her brother passed last spring, and the foster left a month or so ago.

Medically - I "think" she may have peed in her sleep a couple times. Not sure. She's a big licker and drooler, so I chalked the first couple wet spots up to that. After the third in a few months.... I wonder.

Medical issue? Emotional issue? Feeding issue? Just doesn't like this food? I'm not crazy about labeling her a "picky eater" after several years of woofing down whatever didn't eat her first.

I have NO idea if the 3 night-time wet spots (over the last 3 months) have anything to do with the new indifference to food. I'm just throwing out any info I can think of. That may be a separate issue - or no issue at all. :huh

FYI - she's about 6 years old, has been living here about 4.

Bloodwork

And urinalysis.

ETA: Wet spots and being so disinterested in food would have me concerned. But for those things, I wouldn't worry so much about her weight if it's fairly stable (no steady loss) -- some dogs run thin; that's just how they are. Often, but not always, they plump up a bit as they age.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Bloodwork

And urinalysis.

ETA: Wet spots and being so disinterested in food would have me concerned. But for those things, I wouldn't worry so much about her weight if it's fairly stable (no steady loss) -- some dogs run thin; that's just how they are. Often, but not always, they plump up a bit as they age.

Her weight doesn't concern me. She's a skinny-minny and I've accepted that's just her. She's been about the same weight for the last 4 years. She's not loosing weight now. And - she's still quite young. She's just got great metabolism! I have a couple human friends like that. Eat far more than I do and look like sticks! :lol

The disinterst in food and possible wet spots DO concern me. I think we'll schedule a vet visit.

Was she ever an only hound? If not, she may be going through an adjustment period.

She's never been an only hound. She came to us at 2 years old as a "failed maiden" racer. She never did well enough in the training rounds to make it "pro". She wanted to "play" not "race" :lol We had a grey of our own when she came here. After we adopter her, she still had our first grey, and usually another foster.

Now - our first grey, Sobe, passed over in March... then it was Diana and the foster. The foster has now been adopted.

She's alone. First time ever in her life without another dog around. From litter - to training camp - to foster home with other greys - to alone. We worried about thiat. No behaviour issues. She's adapted very well. But - I DO wonder if the eating thing is related.

A few replies have made me re-think that this is perhaps not a food issue - it's maybe a health issue. I probaby should've posted in "health" not "food".

I guess I really wanted to hear that it was probably the food, or behavior. We had such a horrible - unexpected - fatal - health issue with Sobe recently - that I'm spooked of anything medical. I want her issue to be behavioral, or that she hates dogfood - or something.

OK - reality check - she needs to see the vet. If it's medical, it's probably minor. I'm just spooked because Sobe's "minor" leg inflamation - was deadly cancer. :blush

But - I won't deny Diana vet care because of MY irrational fear.

After the vet checkup and tests, it might be an interesting test to foster again (if you're able). Then, watch her appetite and emotional state.

One of my girls sounds much like your Diana, very thin and muscular (same age), but my girl has always been a very low eater. Vets have found nothing wrong medically, so I suppose my girl's eating issues are emotionally related. I went through years of begging her to eat anything/everything. She is much more sensitive than our other Greyhounds. She's not the least bit shy with humans or hounds, but she's always been the omega - back of the pack (even in the presence of new foster hounds). She waits until the other hounds finish their meals (all are at different feeding stations out of sight) and they return to their beds in another room. Only then will she enter the kitchen (if she's in the mood to check her bowl, but toys are her preference). She usually runs away from food at every meal. My best bet is trying again just before bedtime. That is usually her first (and only) semi-full meal of the day. (The other hounds eat their first meal in the AM.) This girl happens to have extreme separation anxiety (human focused). Her SA has improved now, but it's still a struggle for her.

Bottom line, if Diana's health check is great, it wouldn't surprise me if your girl's low appetite is a reflection of her emotional loss of living with another Greyhound.

I am very sorry for your loss of Diana's brother last spring.

Guest Swifthounds

A sudden loss can be a difficult thing for s dog, especially if she's never been an only hound (I'm not convinced that exracers are ever really happy as onlys, so I won't have fewer than two) and especially is she tended to take her confidence from the presence of the other hound. I'm sure you are also still quite traumatized/upset from the loss - she feels that as well.

I would have bloodwork and a urinalysis done, at least as a baseline for what's going on. You may want to do a urine culture depending on your finances. Cultures aren't accurate once a hound is on antibiotics, so it's good to remember that if the UA indicates a trial of antibiotics, the hound would need to be off the meds for about 7 days before a culture would be accurate. Also, some vets "package" diagnostics, so that doing all three at once can be a savings. I think the last time I had all three done the culture was half price with the other two.

I would also try doing some activities to boost her confidence. Have you done any training with her? Things like exercise, short training sessions or play time together in the yard do a world of good for unconfident dogs by giving her tasks to focus on and giving her more bonding time with you. We often don't notice, but in our own grief we tend to show our feelings to our hounds and sometimes pull back emotionally. Without another hound buddy, the human becomes the sole source of comfort and confidence. Maybe you could foster again as well?

Whatever the case may be, if she doesn't want to eat, don't make her eat. Just take the food away if she doesn't have interest. Her tummy may be upset on and off, and as my vet explained to me, dogs tend to be "pleasers" - they'll do something they really don't want to do because they know that's what we want.

A sudden loss can be a difficult thing for s dog, especially if she's never been an only hound (I'm not convinced that exracers are ever really happy as onlys, so I won't have fewer than two) and especially is she tended to take her confidence from the presence of the other hound. I'm sure you are also still quite traumatized/upset from the loss - she feels that as well.

I would have bloodwork and a urinalysis done, at least as a baseline for what's going on. You may want to do a urine culture depending on your finances. Cultures aren't accurate once a hound is on antibiotics, so it's good to remember that if the UA indicates a trial of antibiotics, the hound would need to be off the meds for about 7 days before a culture would be accurate. Also, some vets "package" diagnostics, so that doing all three at once can be a savings. I think the last time I had all three done the culture was half price with the other two.

I would also try doing some activities to boost her confidence. Have you done any training with her? Things like exercise, short training sessions or play time together in the yard do a world of good for unconfident dogs by giving her tasks to focus on and giving her more bonding time with you. We often don't notice, but in our own grief we tend to show our feelings to our hounds and sometimes pull back emotionally. Without another hound buddy, the human becomes the sole source of comfort and confidence. Maybe you could foster again as well?

Lots of good stuff in your post. :) I'm also in the camp of believing greys should have a companion grey. They're not like other dogs, that get separate from their litter at 6 weeks- greys grow up with their litter and mom for months, then are ALWAYS with other greys. I know lots of greys do just fine as only dogs... but my preference has always been to bave at least 2.

She IS a very confident, outgoing dog. And - we felt pain and loss from loosing our other - but it was short. There's no residual grief that she's picking up on. That may sound harsh - but - I loved Sobe dearly - he will always be "MY" dog. ... when he was diagnosed with terminal carcer I was devastated and a mess - for a day. Then I poured all my energy into making his time the best possible - and doing everything I could for him. When he was done - he was done. Another bad day - but no lingering grief.

Since Diana has been alone - we've totally upped her activites. She goes on more walks. When we go to visit people - she goes. She's been out of the house more in the last month than in the last year. We don't want her to be alone.