No Walks For Me

Just wondering if anyone else has a hound who really does not care much for walks. We have had Sam for over 6 years, since 2 yrs old, and even then was the slowest walker we had ever seen. Thought he just wasn't up to it but he has pretty much kept that level of "enthusiasm" for years. Now that it has gotten so darn cold and windy he has started going outside to wait on the deck when we get his things to get him ready for a walk. After a few minutes, and when one of us leaves with the other hound, he comes back in, looks around and lays down on one of the beds quite happy with himself. I can just hear him saying to himself, well, I got by them again! He is perfectly healthy, recent check ups all ok, etc. I guess my question is do we just let him happily skip the walks or push him. When he does go he is like towing a car behind us. The other dog is VERY into her walks, at the usual time, it is can we go, can we go, etc. She loves them and needs them.

Guest auforygirl

Is he at least going potty outside? My girl is also 8 and has refused walks sometimes but truthfully she has done that through out the whole time (its raining, its cold, its too hot, its insert whatever she is thinking here)... If she doesn't I usually give her a project toy to do inside to release some energy. She likes her squirrel dude.

Is he at least going potty outside? My girl is also 8 and has refused walks sometimes but truthfully she has done that through out the whole time (its raining, its cold, its too hot, its insert whatever she is thinking here)... If she doesn't I usually give her a project toy to do inside to release some energy. She likes her squirrel dude.

Yes. he goes out for potty runs like clockwork, and is very excited, bouncing, jumping, etc for car rides. I have to laugh at your girl and Sam, maybe they just think it should be 70 degrees, perfect humidity, etc in their life. but, hey, I guess I do too. ; )

Mine don't get walks, they use the back yard for their play area. They run and play there and get quite a bit of exercise there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Bailey did not like walks, but she really loved to run.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Two of my girls love to go for walks. I just got a third girlie and the first couple of walks she was not very enthused. After the second walk I discovered she has tender feet and I found her licking her paws which were quite pink (we didn't walk very far; maybe 15 minutes each walk). I'm hoping when the weather is better we can toughen up her feet and she will begin to like walks. My plan is to carry treats and make it a fun time with lots of praise and positive reinforcement.

Good luck,

june

Guest jessie1234

I know of plenty of greys that dont get walked and dont mind. An "outing" is just as good. My girls love their walks and get so excited when I just put my trainers on (too bad if I am off to mow the lawns!) :P

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty is a GO GO Boy , no matter how cold it is or Hot. We go every Day (deep Snow , Rain , Hot )twice to the Park nearby .He is not the fastest walker,but he wants to go. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by IrskasMom

Just wondering if anyone else has a hound who really does not care much for walks. We have had Sam for over 6 years, since 2 yrs old, and even then was the slowest walker we had ever seen. Thought he just wasn't up to it but he has pretty much kept that level of "enthusiasm" for years. Now that it has gotten so darn cold and windy he has started going outside to wait on the deck when we get his things to get him ready for a walk. After a few minutes, and when one of us leaves with the other hound, he comes back in, looks around and lays down on one of the beds quite happy with himself. I can just hear him saying to himself, well, I got by them again! He is perfectly healthy, recent check ups all ok, etc. I guess my question is do we just let him happily skip the walks or push him. When he does go he is like towing a car behind us. The other dog is VERY into her walks, at the usual time, it is can we go, can we go, etc. She loves them and needs them.

We've had similar problems with our Shane. He loves to go for walks, but he slows way down after while, sometimes within a couple blocks! X-rays don't show a problem, but his back hips have become progressingly skewed. We're having an MRI tomorrow to answer that very question, of how much and what kind of exercise. If he has a disk problem or something like that, getting him into swimming or walking too hard would be a bad thing. I'll let you know what we find, if anything. Meanwhile, you have my sympathies! It's very confusing, especially when he does zoomies in the back yard just fine! But apparently there can be a movement problme at one gait or speed of movement and not at others.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

My Eve thought walks were fine as long the weather was perfect (clear, crisp, and 50 degrees F, please) and if she got to stop and socialize along the way. She also enjoyed scrambling up rocks like a mountain goat on a long leash. But walking for the sake of just exercise? One humid August morning she quietly went on strike, turned around on her leash after a few blocks, put her head down in the Eeyore position, and made it clear the only steps she was taking were heading straight home.

Unfortunately, she was cursed with a human and a greyhound housemate much more enthusiastic about walks than she was.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest avadogner

My senoir girl Ava only goes for a walk when it's warm and pretty. Augie wants to walk even if there are tornado warnings. I ask Ava each day when I dress Augie up but she declines. Ava is 11 and has a hip defect so walking isn't as fun for her now. Augie is about to turn 4 so he has more energy to burn. We have a large fenced back yard so the houndies have a place to stretch their legs. Ava's happy with just exploring the backyard. Augie wants to visit all the kids in the neighborhood.

-ava and augie's mum

I have really enjoyed hearing from everyone and now knowing about the other "non-walkers" out there. So I guess I will just not worry about if Sam is getting his exercise~he is at a great weight and it seems just does not like walking all that much (since we got him 6 years ago), and especially in bad weather. It is hard because Maggie (9) would go walking enthusiastically at the north pole and supplements the walks with zoomies in the back yard. The only time Sam runs is when he is chasing maggie through the house. : ) He is a very laid back, mellow hound and I think that is about it.

We've had similar problems with our Shane. He loves to go for walks, but he slows way down after while, sometimes within a couple blocks! X-rays don't show a problem, but his back hips have become progressingly skewed. We're having an MRI tomorrow to answer that very question, of how much and what kind of exercise. If he has a disk problem or something like that, getting him into swimming or walking too hard would be a bad thing. I'll let you know what we find, if anything. Meanwhile, you have my sympathies! It's very confusing, especially when he does zoomies in the back yard just fine! But apparently there can be a movement problme at one gait or speed of movement and not at others.

Thanks. I'll be curious to hear if anything shows up with the MRI.

Tess doesn't like to walk anymore and when I am getting Chauncey ready to go out Tess will hide and come out when I leave, my DH laughs at her because he said she comes out and pokes her head out around the corner to see if I have left. Chauncey loves her walks so I don't force Tess to go because she would prevent Chanucey from enjoying her walk. Tess goes outside in the yard and will run sometimes so she is getting her exercise. She is 11 1/2 so if she does not want to walk she doesn't have to.