Skunk Remedy

Guest Keystone

Peroxide, baking soda and dish soap if I recall correctly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yep! that's it,, but for me 'cause skunk meetings are a way of life here,, I have a product called skunk out,,,, I think you can buy it at any pet store,,, mine came from the groomer,, as we have no pet stores here,,,, whatever you do,,, don't use that old tomato juice remedy,,, and don't wash the dog until some type of product is used to remove the oil base skunk musk,,, if you have a hand soap like D&L hand cleaner,, this can be used too

good luck

Here is something you may enjoy... This was written by a greyhound owner on another forum and she knows her stuff.

Oh No! It was a skunk!

Don’t wait until you can smell it, be prepared.

Have a bath area in mind - preferably outside, but the garage or basement may be better if it is late at night, the bugs are looking for you and you need some light!

Have your de-skunk kit assembled and at hand - you don’t want your dog following you through the house while you search for it.

Now the fun begins! If you have a clothes peg, you may want to use it.

1. Put on the rubber gloves or every time your hands get wet, you’ll wish you had.

2. If you are going to have to clean the dog’s face, put a couple of drops of mineral oil in his eyes to protect them in case the solution splashes.

3. Mix the peroxide (1 L), baking soda (1/4 cup) and dog shampoo, but if you don’t have that, use dish soap (1 tsp) and lukewarm water in the pail.

4. Do NOT wet the whole dog, you do not want to spread the scent all over! Skunk spray is oily, you should be able to see where your dog got hit. Using a sponge or wash cloth massage the solution on the parts that got sprayed. Allow the solution to remain on at least 10 minutes, but not too much longer. Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat, repeat, repeat until the smell is gone!

*NOTE If your dog is black, you may see his coat lighten or redden from the peroxide. It will return to normal once it grows out.

De-skunk Kit

Pail

Rubber gloves

Mineral oil and an eye dropper

3% hydrogen peroxide (have at least 1 L, extra would be better!)

baking soda & measuring cup (only need 1/4 cup, so a small box is enough)

liquid soap (only need 1 tsp, so small bottle is enough)

Sponge or wash clothes (you’ll be discarding them)

Old towels (in case you don’t get ALL the smell out - you won’t want to be using these towels again!)

Replace the peroxide and baking soda annually, you don’t want to find out there is no fizz when you need it most!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest savvytwh

What is the best way to treat a dog who has been sprayed by a skunk?

From a PBS show earlier in the year:

SKUNK WASH

1Qt 3% peroxide

1/4cup baking soda

1tsp detergent

Wash area & let set 5 mins rinse repeat if necessary

Good luck

Keep telling your hounds that black & white kitty isn't really a kitty!

When I worked for a groomer, we used a specific shampoo (hard to find, so I won't post the name here - you won't find it in time!). We left it rather concentrated, and used A LOT. We also scrubbed it in very well, and left it to soak for a good long time. Then we rinsed, partially dried, and applied a copious amount of the Nature's Miracle skunk product. It helped A LOT, but the key is to leave it on till it's dry, and DO NOT rinse!

I have never had occasion to use the peroxide, baking soda, dishsoap remedy. But I would imagine the peroxide might bleach the coat. However, since everyone says it works so well, I always keep the makings on hand, since we do have skunks around here!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.