Jack Is Now A Watchdog

Guest jsteiner78

Guest jsteiner78

We have had Jack and KK just over two months now. They are both settling in beautifully. In the past two weeks, its evident they are feeling at home, and their personalities have come in full bloom. They both love playing and car rides, and of course their walks when they usually get to meet several other neighborhood dogs.

One thing that has started up in the last two weeks, is Jack appearing to play "watchdog". It seems when he gets a little bored, he will look at the window (with the blinds fully drawn most of the time, he can't see outside) and pretend he has noticed a grave threat to his pack, and he starts with a guttural growl, followed by some sharp barks, then some more growling, and more barks - until suddenly, the imaginary threat has left, and he settles back down.

It can be rather annoying when on the phone, or watching TV etc - and there is no predictability.

Anyone else have a hound that likes to bark at phantoms? Any ideas of what may have brought this on?

Absolutely! We live in the country and have no window coverings and Bumper will bark at a window at least a couple times per day. We figure a little critter was scurrying past or whatever. Brucie is too busy sleeping on the couch to notice anything.

It sounds, however, like Jack can probably hear something outside versus see it. Or try removing the blind to see if he still barks at the window? Have fun with it...

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

just because WE can't see or hear anything, that doesn't mean it ain't there. their sight (and hearing) is a notch or two above ours.... it could have been a mean nasty grasshopper or mouse a half mile down the road he saw (or heard) threatening the security of the pack.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty deffinitly thinks he is a Watchdog. He growls and starts barking if anything appears to be on the Door.What's more hillarious is that he starts barking before he eats his Dinner,like whoever is around ,he wants to chase it away. He growls even with a full Mouth. Then he proceeds to eat. :blink::blink::blink:

Oh yeah, Fletcher takes great exception to anyone walking by on "his" street :rolleyes: He often barks and growls at things I don't see or hear, but I figure his senses are better than mine, so something is out there, even if it's just a neighbors cat :lol Actually, I am kind of glad he does it, even though it makes me jump, because I feel safer with this big badass watchdog :lol

Guest goofydog

Same thing here. One day Get Em is standing & staring out the front window, which has shears, doing his big dog growl and occasional big boy woof. I went and looked for a good 5 minutes and couldn't see a thing out of order. He kept on so I got down on the floor and looked out at his level and saw the culprit. One of those ads in the plastic bag that people hang over the flag arm of the mailbox! When we had the roof done they put one of those metal signs in the yard and he couldn't deal with that either. I even took him out and introduced him to it, didn't help. That sign didn't stay long :lol:lol

Guest jsteiner78

hilarious replies -

it sounds like some Greys are just a little more vocal than generally advertised. I'm guessing this is just part of Jack's personality that is now coming out of its shell. Its really not a big deal, I was just wondering if he was a real oddball among the breed, or maybe was anxious and not feeling safe at our house.

Thanks again

Current doggy doesn't do this, but I've had ones in the past that will watch things that I can't see...I mean, I'm not really into the paranormal stuff but I automatically think GHOST!!!

Hopefully it's just a dust mote that caught the light or something...but they will follow it around the room with their heads with their ears alert. But when they growl at obviously something...it really gives me the creeps.

Guest reneemarie

haha, Banshee patrols the backyard like a pro. The first time I ever saw her do it, she was barking and growling so badly that I honestly thought something bad was happening to her. I rushed around the corner to look out the door, and I saw the culprit...

...an almost-baby squirrel sitting on the fence :lol

haha when she saw me, Banshee ran at me and just acted like she wanted to say "DO YOU SEE THAT? WHAT'S THIS GUY THINKING? WHAT GIVES HIM THE RIGHT TO SIT ON MY FENCE??"

It has come in handy, however, as last week she scared off a group of kids that have been stealing peoples' trash and throwing it all over their yards. We're the only house in the cul-de-sac with clean grass, hah. So be thankful for Jack's alertness, it may be useful in the future!