Not Drinking Water

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Posting for a friend of mine as she emailed me to see if I knew or any GT peeps had ideas why her iggy won't drink water.

Here's her email below

My new Italian greyhound I very seldom see him drink water and I ask Lawren Jones who was his foster mom if she saw him drink water and she said now that I mention it that she really didn’t see him take water either. I told them at Tender Touch (her vet) about it. They thought he had a bladder infection and gave him antibiotics well there is still something going on so they went in and took the urine and sent it out for testing. I’m thinking that since he doesn’t drink water that is probably his problem but how do you get him to drink water. I put it on his food and he get’s it that way but to go up to the water bowl and take water he just doesn’t do it.

Any feedback is appreciated as she's a nervous wreck.

Can you tell if he's drinking at night? I have some greys that I don't see drink much but then hear them at night getting a big drink. One girl I have wouldn't drink when she was returned to me if I was any where near her. She hadn't been allowed free water in the home where she lived, now she's fine & gets drinks as needed. Just take it slow & watch that the dog doesn't get dehidrated (sp).

We had a greyhound once that very rarely drank water out of his bowl and when he did it was literally only one or two laps. We tried him with bottled water instead, in case he didn't like the taste of tap water, but that didn't make any difference. We mentioned it to our vet but he said it wasn't really a problem as long as he was eating. In the end I just added more water to his food and fed him three meals a day to make sure he was getting enough.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

If the IG is getting canned food rather than kibble, he'll be getting a fair amount of moisture from the food.

And if he eats kibble only, his mom might want to supplement with some tasty canned food to get moisture into him that way.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11

WE add water to our kibble for both meals. Four of our five DON'T visabily drink water (**unless it is really hott). I am sure it is because, they are getting plenty of water in their two meals. Our Goldie, on the other hand, ... has some kidney issues, and is a water-drinker. I would guess, maybe this baby is getting the water he needs, through the food, OR, as others have posted ... drinking at night.

A full blood panel would rule out dehydration.

Good Luck!!!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

A trick often used with racers in the cooler weather to help them drink a bit more.

Add some canned milk to the water.

But others had great ideas as well with different bowls and such.

Guest LindsaySF

I worry that Honey doesn't seem to drink enough water, so I add some to her kibble at meal times. But obviously she drinks because there is always a little bit gone from her water bowl when I'm not home, and she's never been dehydrated or anything. If the IG's bloodwork is off there might be something else going on though. Good luck.