Don't Eat That!

Guest BobbyD3

Guest BobbyD3

We have a problem with our adorable Poo-Chon. We live in an area with many trees, some of which drop marble-size berries. Our dog has an affinity for them and try as I may to prevent him from picking them up, from time to time he gets one or more. This is generally followed by his throwing up in the middle of the night or about 12 hours after consumption. I am looking for a leash/collar that will prevent him from picking things up off of the ground. I don't want to have to resort to a muzzle, if possible. I tried the Premier Gentle Leader Head Collar, but it kept slipping off. Maybe I'm not fitting him properly, but we really could use some advice. We're tired of having to keep trying to get stains out of the carpeting and other fabrics.

If you want to teach the "leave it" in conjunction with a head collar... your local pet shop should be able to fit it properly. I wouldn't recommend PetSmart unless you get your hands on one of their trainers as I find the average staff member in there doesn't usually know an awful lot. I'd try at a smaller store. You don't have your location showing so I don't know what country you're in but if you were in Canada, I'd say go to a Global Pet Store.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest BobbyD3

Have you worked on teaching him the "leave it" command?

Yes. We actually did beginning obedience training and that was part of it. It works some of the time, but because he is so low to the ground and quick, I don't always catch him in time. I used to have a head collar that I used for a 75-pound Weim that worked like a charm. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find one in my current search. Thanks for your response.

Have you worked on teaching him the "leave it" command?

Yes. We actually did beginning obedience training and that was part of it. It works some of the time, but because he is so low to the ground and quick, I don't always catch him in time. I used to have a head collar that I used for a 75-pound Weim that worked like a charm. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find one in my current search. Thanks for your response.

Guest lasharp1209

I know you don't want to, but my vote is muzzle with stool guard. I'd think the berries might still be able to go through the holes of a muzzle without a stool guard, but if not then of course you wouldn't have to use the guard.

Obviously the berries aren't good for his system... I'd feel better protecting him with a muzzle and keeping him safe, than dealing with repercussions of eating toxic berries :blink:

I know you don't want to, but my vote is muzzle with stool guard. I'd think the berries might still be able to go through the holes of a muzzle without a stool guard, but if not then of course you wouldn't have to use the guard.

Not sure, but I'm thinking this is a Poodle/Bichon mix, not a grey....

I agree wih ownedby summer -- if you want to use a Gentle Leader or Halti and "leave it" (which here is shortened to "AAAACK!" go to a nice pet supply store or a trainer at Petsmart at an off peak time and ask for help with fitting it. I'd think it would be a lot more difficult to do a correct fit on a bichon mix than a weime.

Good luck.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest BobbyD3

My suggestion would be to get a bigger dog so you dont have to worry about its head being so close to the ground. =}

I thought there were rules about this forum. If there, you have cheapened it. Have a nice holiday.

Guest BobbyD3

My apologies to the members of this site. I did not realize at the time that I registered that this site was for Greyhound lovers. Sorry if I intruded where I should have not.

Guest fandogs

Bobby, the rules here are just to love dogs..

The comment you responded to was a JOKE... Look at the smile icon at the end of the sentence.

No one would say that and mean it on this message board.

We have many different pets here.. cats, dogs, ducks, hedgehogs...

Please continue to post.. and you will get some good advice.. and occasionally a smile or a laugh.

Welcome to this forum

Maxine

Guest lasharp1209

I agree wih ownedby summer -- if you want to use a Gentle Leader or Halti and "leave it" (which here is shortened to "AAAACK!" go to a nice pet supply store or a trainer at Petsmart at an off peak time and ask for help with fitting it. I'd think it would be a lot more difficult to do a correct fit on a bichon mix than a weime.

Good luck.

Ah, I was assuming Poo-Chon was the grey's name :lol That makes more sense.

Guest auforygirl

Bobby, it is true we are a greyhound site but trust us when we say we accept all types of dogs and animals... We have people with chickens, ducks, hedgehogs, rabbits, and a wide assortment of other dogs and cats. though most do have at least one grey and there is a good chance if you hang out with us you might get one because they are contagious. As for what to do for your pup - I suggest a rake. If you don't want to rake your yard all the time find a neighborhood kid who wants to make a quick buck. That or section off your yard if you can with a temporary fence far enough away from your berry trees. I don't think a muzzle will help because the types of muzzles for other dogs don't come with an option of stool guard like the greyhounds basket muzzle. Dogs are able to eat and drink through a regular muzzle for humane purposes. If you need anymore help please come on back

Patti

PS We also like pictures!

Guest zombrie

Good luck.

Ah, I was assuming Poo-Chon was the grey's name :lol That makes more sense.

I thought it was the name too :lol :lol

At our local Chuck & Don's (high end pet supply store) I've seen muzzles for other dogs that are more like the greyhound basket muzzle, which might work for this kind of thing. I also think that focusing on what the dog is doing during the walks and trying to avoid the most berry-rich areas might be helpful, as far as you can. (For example, if they are mostly on the grassy areas, try to keep the dog to the sidewalks except for potty breaks, and those only on areas that are mostly fruitless.)

You may want to check the type of berries/fruit against a list of toxic plants (the ASPCA has a list, though I don't know where you live, or talk with your vet about it), and if they are on the toxic list this becomes more essential. Though not every plant that causes digestive upset is truly toxic, this would be a concern of mine.

Someone mentioned the "leave it" command, but what about a more general "watch me" or "heel" command, where the dog is supposed to be watching you and not being distracted by edibles on the ground? Maybe walk with treats and periodically ask for actions and then treat (sit, lie, dance, whatever you have your dog trained to do) and make you much more attractive than the goodies on the ground. Make sure whatever treats you have are wayyyy more attractive than whatever is on the ground and that rewards are given for NOT eating the groundfood.