Deramaxx-Morning Or Evening?

Guest Puddyrun

Guest Puddyrun

My senior greyhound(almost 11) had his lower left canine removed yesterday. We were sent home with Clavamox,Tramadol and Deramaxx. I just gave him his Clav and Tram but was wondering if I should give the Deramaxx now or this evening. I usually have given it late in the past but am afraid that the pain will kick in too much if I do. I would love any input. Also,it looks like he still had some bleeding through the night. I would assume that's normal. If yes,how long till I should be concerned? His tooth had a nasty infection and it was very difficult to remove. Thank Dog it went well!

Guest Houndstown

I usually do the Dera in the evening, but always with food. I think the later is the more important part. I also invested in a pill cutter; they are cheap and they work great. If you feed twice a day you could always half the pill and do both if you're worried about the pain during the day. Hope this helps!

Guest Puddyrun

I usually do the Dera in the evening, but always with food. I think the later is the more important part. I also invested in a pill cutter; they are cheap and they work great. If you feed twice a day you could always half the pill and do both if you're worried about the pain during the day. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response! I think I will wait until the evening. He seems to be okay so far this morning with the pain. I do have a pill cutter and will use it if I need to. His bleeding seems to have stopped too :colgate

Tramadol should be enough for one tooth IMHO, but I don't think it matters if you give the Deramaxx with it or not. The two drugs work in totally different ways.

If the prescription says to give one pill, I would not split it in half. The dose is calculated to the dog's weight. George takes it daily, and the prescription says once a day and the dose.

It think splitting it would just make it weaker and less effective? Like taking one Tylenol instead of the normal dose of two!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Deramaxx takes 2 weeks to build up in the blood stream, I'm not sure why you'd use it for post-dental pain, particularly since you have tramadol.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Puddyrun

Deramaxx takes 2 weeks to build up in the blood stream, I'm not sure why you'd use it for post-dental pain, particularly since you have tramadol.

He was taking the Deramaxx for the infection pain right up till his dental.It ran out 2 days before. I guess that's why he was prescribed it. I may stop the Deramaxx if he seems to be okay without it.