Auto-Immune Disease

Guest darrzemp

Guest darrzemp

Have any other adopters had a problem with bloody paw pads due to auto immune disease. My vet provided this diagnosis and has given a Cortisone shot and prescribed Prednizone on a limited basis. Paws are good for a few days, but the bleeding returns. I'm concerned with the long term effects of both Cortisone and Prednizone on her life span and health. Are there any other treatments which could be employed which might give better results and/or a cure? What has been other adopters experience with this disease? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. It has just recently been pointed out to me that her problem could also be Food Allergies. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darryl :unsure

Guest greenbottle27

Darryl - where exactly is the bleeding? In between the pads, around the nail beds. If this is located around the nail bed, you might want to read the topic about nail shedding/popping and SLO. I will add that food allergies can trigger SLO.

I would be concerned that your vet didn't run other tests -or did he/she? Skin scrapes, culture, impression smear, r/o ringworm, allergies........also was bloodwork done--- ANA, coombs...... Is there a Derm vet in your area? Pred can be a great drug but, it's not w/o side effects.

Guest SoulsMom

Soul had Discoid Lupus that affects his paw pads, nails, nose, and the skin around his eyes. What you really need to do is find what works for your pup to control the symptoms as every dog is different. Some dogs do best when kept out of the sun, grain free diet, etc. I would recommend keeping a journal to record the symptoms and conditions surrounding the 'flare'. Also take a look at his nails, and nose to see if there is any peeling or cracking. Soul's nose will crack and bleed and he's lost some pigment.

ETA: Soul is not on any long term medication as his symptoms are not too bothersome and not life threatening. But my vet and I keep the steroids in mind should he need them

Edited by SoulsMom