Just Can't Seem To Win The Food Game

I know I probably stress too much about it, but I can't seem to win the food wars.

I had my two girls on Fromm Adult Gold food when we brought Jack home last November. I slowly transitioned him to it, and his stool was never completely firm. After trying that for several months, the vet suggested trying a prescription food, which we did. Things got a bit better on that (even though from the ingredient list you wouldn't choose to feed it to a squirrel, much less a dog! :lol ). Never completely firmed up, but better.

Well, that food was not only EXTREMELY expensive, but it got recalled. So, back to the switcheroo. Back to Fromm. Back to soft-serve. The vet then suggested adding some Metamucil, which I've been doing. It's helped some, but STILL not completely firm.

Finally in a fit of desperation, and at the suggestion of not only the vet but a few people here, I bought a lower-end food. The vet said that some greyhounds just do not tolerate those high-end foods. I bought.....the green bag of Iams. [Please do not send the dog food police to tar and feather me!!]

Jack is now eating mostly that, with a little Fromm mixed in, and the girls have been on 100% Iams, since I was running low on Fromm and they don't seem to be bothered by food switches. And the one bit of good news in all of this is that he seems to be have MUCH firmer stools!

Well, now the girls don't want to eat. :headwall I just cannot win.

I suppose I could just bite the bullet, and buy Fromm for them and keep Jack on the Iams; but I was hoping to buy ONE FOOD for all three, and preferably one food that doesn't bust the budget. Fromm is expensive. The main reason I put them on that was that the local pet food store was having a special, you could get $4 off a bag once a month, for a year. That promotion is over now.

A couple of other foods I have used/am considering are these:

Diamond Naturals--we used that for a long time, but Rascal lost interest

Kirkland--also used a couple bags of that, again, Rascal wasn't crazy about it

4Health--available at Tractor Supply, seems like a good food and not crazy expensive

I definitely want something WITH beet pulp for Jack. And for the girls, I want something they will EAT.

Any ideas?

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest eaglflyt

All of our hounds and other pups do perfectly on Acana Grain Free ... Acana Pacifica (blue bag) is their favorite. :colgate The entire group has poop to brag about! :lol

Good Luck!

In my house I sort of have an 'eat it or don't policy' and food strikes have never lasted more than two days. I'm currently feeding Purina One Chicken and Rice. When I had a dog that had somewhat mushy poops with this I just tossed in a spoonful of canned pumpkin and she firmed right up. Perhaps you can settle on a food and if it doesn't have beet pulp you could add that as a supplement for Jack.

I gave the girls their Fromm tonight, and Jack had Iams. No add ins for the girls, like they usually get (canned food)...and everyone cleaned their bowls.

I guess I will just buy Fromm for the girls and give Jack Iams. I didn't want two different foods, but the Iams really seems to be working for Jack--and the girls aren't crazy about it.

Guest Profgumby

I gave the girls their Fromm tonight, and Jack had Iams. No add ins for the girls, like they usually get (canned food)...and everyone cleaned their bowls.

I guess I will just buy Fromm for the girls and give Jack Iams. I didn't want two different foods, but the Iams really seems to be working for Jack--and the girls aren't crazy about it.

2 different foods is not really that much hassle when you think about it. You will still be spending the same amount in a year (well unless they are vastly different in price) and the dogs will at least be eating well. I also read that it is not supposed to be a good idea to keep the dog on the same food forever, and to mix it up a bit. Along the lines of have 2 or 3 foods they like and do well on and switch them every year or so to keep the dogs interested.

I say monkey trumpets! The only time anyone I know has ever switched food was either a cost issue when an equally good food was found at a better price, or a food issue (example- when my last girls got older and one had a sensitive stomach)

The good news is they seem to be eating and healthy, I say go with it!

Believe me, I have switched the girls' food many, many times. Rascal does tend to lose interest after awhile.

Foods they've eaten in the past nine years:

ProPlan

Canidae

Chicken Soup

Diamond Naturals

Fromm

Purina One

Iams

Pet Edge

Kirkland

There are probably more, I just can't think of them right now. :lol Fortunately the girls don't have any trouble switching. My main problem has been getting firm stool from Jack since we got him. I'd like yard cleanup to be easy with him, like it is with the girls!

Guest MichelleRenee

does the Iams have artificial coloring (any colors other than brown?)...

Henry is allergic to artificial coloring, so we are stuck on Costco brand. And his poops just arent great. I've been meaning to switch him for a long time, but it seems anytime we switch, (even with the rice and pumpkin trick) we get SERIOUS diarrhea that has to be treated by the vet.

No, there are no colors in Iams. It is certainly not the by the label perfect food, but if you have a runny poop dog it works wonders. Elvis my foster is the second proof of that.

Let's see with Rex I tried:

Natural Balance

Natures Recipe

California Natural

Chicken Soup

Wellness

Canidae

Blue Buffalo

I'll trot out my famous line :blush --- "I got so frustrated that I threw a green bag of Iams in the cart and called it a day." I'd fed Iams for years before "those in the know" warned me all about me about the demon corn. I finally thought "WTH" and went back to what I had fed. Within a day of starting transition Rex was firm and in two or three days you could bounce his poops off the sidewalk. He never ever had another bout of bloody colitis runs or grumbly tummy.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam, I was thinking of your 'famous line' when I threw that green bag into MY cart! :lol Thank you for that, since it appears to be working.

If you've ever read the ingredients on the bag of prescription food Jack was on, the Iams looks GOURMET in comparison! So I think of it as a step up! :lol

Guest MichelleRenee

I "ain't" rich. So some of those brands just aren't possible for me.

I have two permenant greyhounds, and foster anywhere from 1-3 extra at a time as well, so food has to be relatively inexpensive.. I pay 25 at costco, and the iams is 30, so its do-able. I'm going to switch and hope it works! Thanks guys!

I too have looked at the 4Health at Tractor Supply,,, :colgate the ingredients are similar to a product by purina,, Excellence,,, which I used for years,, :colgate , until the GSP moved in,,, he came here with such G.I. issues,, this product was not good for him,, :blink: and had to switch to a grain free product,,, if not for him,, I WOULD use the 4Health,,, but like you I want to buy just one product,,, so ToTW is what I use :)

Guest KennelMom

Just be glad you aren't in our shoes - trying to find one food that not only everyone will eat, but that gives all 18 good poops. We've run the gammut from Pedigree to raw.

We've had the best luck with Taste of the Wild, High Prairie. Beet pulp is easy to get, so I wouldn't pick a food that had it just because one dog needs it. Just get some beet pulp and add it yourself. TOTW isn't cheap, but I think it's the best value of the grain-free foods. Perfect, small, firm, pretty much odorless poo is priceless in this house...not only from a clean up perspective, but we have a senior who can't control his bowels, so it's critical that he as firm poops with as little bulk as possible.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Profgumby

Just be glad you aren't in our shoes - trying to find one food that not only everyone will eat, but that gives all 18 good poops. We've run the gammut from Pedigree to raw.

We've had the best luck with Taste of the Wild, High Prairie. Beet pulp is easy to get, so I wouldn't pick a food that had it just because one dog needs it. Just get some beet pulp and add it yourself. TOTW isn't cheap, but I think it's the best value of the grain-free foods. Perfect, small, firm, pretty much odorless poo is priceless in this house...not only from a clean up perspective, but we have a senior who can't control his bowels, so it's critical that he as firm poops with as little bulk as possible.

I can pretty much see the dilemma you face. And on my end, if something like TOTW was all that worked the girls would eat it. (haven't tried it yet) For me, the extra cost is not a sticking point. an extra 10 dollars a bag, per month is not a crippler here. For some it might be. And in your situation? Well, your extra few dollars a bag is x18! I think some folks would faint if the difference between 2 foods was 180 dollars a month!

Heather, I cannot imagine trying to find a food to suit all those dogs, both taste-wise and poop-wise!

The vet thinks Jack's problem is in his large bowel. ***graphic poo talk coming up, be warned....*** Since, when he poops, it starts out pretty firm, but then as he gets to the end it's more of a pudding texture, she says it's probably large bowel. The large bowel's job is to remove excess water, and his obviously isn't quite doing it. She says that it's the "filler" stuff in dog food (such as beet pulp) that will help to absorb some of that excess water, and that's why the higher end food doesn't work great for him. I don't know if a grain-free food would help him or make things worse.

Guest DylanGospel

I feel all of this food pain, too. I think we've all run the gamut with these hounds of ours. I almost always need to do boiled hamburger with fosters and then gradually work in kibble. I usually have success with totw, but not always. The only thing that I do a bit differently than what I've read here is to add in a tsp. of beet pulp once or twice a day until things are coming out a bit better. :)

I think this is what I read that Jack's mom wants- a food with beet pulp. You can buy a bag of beet pulp very cheaply at Agway or any other farm supply store and add it to the same food that the rest use just for Jack. We had to buy the smallest quantity they carry- 25 pounds! However, it lasts forever, and we have given some of it to all of the new adopters in our area to keep on hand, "just in case."

I hope that this is helpful.

My understanding,,,, is the grain works by adding bulk,,, which would absorb the water,,, only speaking from the experience I have with the GSP,,, bulk in his case causes irratation of his large intestines,,, and many foods,, have flax in them,,,, good for most dogs,,,, not for an IBS pup .....high end foods,,, have no grain,,, thus no irrations to the intestines,,, for some the lack of grains can cause loose stool,,,,, just what I know about my dog,,, with the grain free no issues,,,, you could add cooked rice to your pup's food with would add :) bulk

Guest xshivax

My understanding,,,, is the grain works by adding bulk,,, which would absorb the water,,, only speaking from the experience I have with the GSP,,, bulk in his case causes irratation of his large intestines,,, and many foods,, have flax in them,,,, good for most dogs,,,, not for an IBS pup .....high end foods,,, have no grain,,, thus no irrations to the intestines,,, for some the lack of grains can cause loose stool,,,,, just what I know about my dog,,, with the grain free no issues,,,, you could add cooked rice to your pup's food with would add :) bulk

I have been feeding my two Greys Nature's Variety Praire dog food for almost a year now. Yes it does have rice in it, but my dogs are doing well on it. As far as I am concerned rice isn't a bad grain snd better than eating a fodo that is mostly potatoes. I switch between the chicken and the beef variety. There are a few other varieties that are a bit more expensive. Nature's Variety also has a grain free line called Instinct which I am tempted to try. Nice that this independent company hasn't been swallowed up by a bigger company like Natura was.

The high fat and protein content in some of the grain free foods gives my boys the runs.

I've run through almost all the high end foods and my dogs just get tired of them or have mushy poops on them so I started feeding Iams Lamb & Rice and then

mixing in some Eukanuba lamb & rice ground formula canned and they eat it all up everytime I fill their bowls and have poops that bounce in the grass. :-)

The Iams lamb & rice doesn't look that bad compared to something like Beneful or Pedigree. I'm sticking to what works!

Here's the update. Jack is on strictly Iams now, with 1/8 t. of Metamucil. He is producing the firmest poop I ever have seen from him!

I ran out of Fromm completely, and have given the girls the Iams, and they are eating it, too.

So let's just hope all continues to go well, and I have my problem solved! Sure, not one of the "premium" foods, but it's working....plus, I got a 44 pound bag for $29.99 yesterday, as opposed to 33 pounds of Fromm for $41.45. So a win-win situation here.

Thanks everyone for the input, and especially thanks to PAM, for suggesting to "throw the green bag into the cart" in desperation. :lol

Glad it is working for you!

I had been feeding Gidget Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison. Got what I believe was a bad bag, which skeeved me out. She currently needs a low-ish protein food so I went red bag (IAMS lamb and rice) instead of green bag. Talk about textbook perfect poops! She will eat anything, but I must say, the IAMS smells a lot more like its ingredients (lamb) than the fancy stuff.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have 5 hounds. None of them eat the same food for various reasons.

Beau with his IBD is on his own diet.

Chloe- easy. Pro plan with a dollop of high end canned food. She won't touch raw

Teddy Raw Chicken & beef

Ollie- raw Duck & beef (he is allergic to chicken)

Elsie- canned Wilderness and duck necks.

For Ollie- he woukld eat anything but anything doesn't agree with him. His poops were such a mess until we tried raw. not only does he love raw, his teeth are like pearls and his poops are smaller than my cat's poops and solid, granular and he is 92 pounds. There is very little waste with raw. no breath at all and no smell to the coat at all. Amazing!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project