Is This Behabior Seperation Anxiety?

Guest sethersk82

Guest sethersk82

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q321/sethersk82/P1010010.jpg

I recently adopted Accomplice. He will be 4 years old this month. The first few weeks of us living together were just fine, no problems at all. But, within the last week he has chewed at the doorframe twice and now had three indoor accidents, both solid and liquid. He did recently get checked out at the vet and he is okay.

There have not been any major changes in my routine as far as his schedule. He did start sleeping in my bed about a week ago, thats the only change in his life that I can think of...

The adoption group that I got Accomplice from (Austin Greyhound Adoption) has been extremely helpful throughout this process and is bringing me a crate this weekend. Per their suggestion I am leaving a radio on at home today as my apartment is very very quiet and he is alone during the day.

Any other suggestions or advice would be soooo welcome, please! I just want Accomplice to be happy and healthy. I want to do whatever I can to be sure he has a great quality of life. Help please! THANK YOU :)

It could be separation anxiety or it could just be that he's bored. If he's chewing things, you can muzzle him during the time you're away to prevent him from destroying anything else in the house. A nice long walk before you leave and you could try leaving a kong filled with treats for him to chew on if you don't want to muzzle him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Judy is right, could be either. Carl had terrible SA and it did include tearing at the door, door frame, doing his business in the house, pulling down curtains/shades, howling and crying all day long. I walked him 3 miles through steep hills and muzzled him before leaving for work. Muzzling put the kabash on much of the destruction. Ultimately, w/my boy, we had to resort to medication for several months along with lots and lots of alone training and obedience classes. Many dogs don't need the medication, but it was a godsend for us.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest mbfilby

Sleeping in your bed can bring out SA in some dogs. But, at three or four weeks into your home, your pup may just be settling in and becoming more comfortable and bored when alone. SA usually presents with more destruction, chewing of your personal items, bedding, clothing, random household objects. My bridge dobie girl had severe SA and destroyed many comforters, remotes, socks, and two couches.

Try leaving him with a chew, and try to walk him before you leave. If not, crate or muzzle as others have said. A second hound for companionship can help SA, as can alone training.

Long walk before work!!

Pardon me if you're already going that, but I'm a big believer that a dog who is going to be home alone all day (mine is!) needs exercise BEFORE you leave way more than when you get home. If he's not, I suggest you get up earlier and make sure he's had plenty of exercise (walking) before you head out to earn the kibble money! He'll be tired out and less likely to chew out of boredom.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck