Hero Seizing

Guest EmbersDad

Good boy Hero! You stop scaring us like that!

Lucy had some interesting info several posts back about rectal valium and cluster seizures - might be worth keeping in mind for Hero.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Good boy Hero! You stop scaring us like that!

Lucy had some interesting info several posts back about rectal valium and cluster seizures - might be worth keeping in mind for Hero.

I agree. smile.gif

Tom, once a dog starts a cycle of seizing, whether it's once a year or every month, it's generally not typical for them to just stop seizing with a temporary dose of medication in the short term. Since Hero has shown that his body now wants to seize, the seizures will probably not stop without help from some sort of permanent dose of medication like pheno or potassium bromide.

I hope you will take a look at the websites I sent you on Facebook.....they may be able to help you understand what's going on with Hero and give you more information on how to treat him.

Sending grouphug.gif to you and Paula (and Hero) because I know how scary this can be.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest SueG201

one of my first dogs I had while living alone had epilepsy, I always found that with the seasonal changes it got worse, i always watched his weight, and did not allow him to stress out,, i also did not vaccinate him or give him HW meds i just had him tested each year, He lived to a ripe old age of 16. It is not a death sentence Tom. I actually got to the point where my dog would let me know when a seizure was coming on

Best of l uck

Well I'm glad you have a diagnosis, now you can start a treatment plan. It make take a few changes in dose before you hit on the right one but you can manage epilepsy quite nicely in some dogs. Saint is one of the lucky ones, we persisted with changes in dosage with his phenobarbital until he maxed out and then added potassium bromide. He was a little drunk for a while but his body adjusted and he's a happy, healthy boy who has a special anniversary coming up on the 26th of this month!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sending prayers for no more seizures! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest EmbersDad

Well I'm glad you have a diagnosis, now you can start a treatment plan. It make take a few changes in dose before you hit on the right one but you can manage epilepsy quite nicely in some dogs. Saint is one of the lucky ones, we persisted with changes in dosage with his phenobarbital until he maxed out and then added potassium bromide. He was a little drunk for a while but his body adjusted and he's a happy, healthy boy who has a special anniversary coming up on the 26th of this month!

they told me he may be loopy for a week or 2 until he adjusts to the meds. prob gonna put the ole baby gate back up so he doesnt fall down the stairs.

Phaelin must have felt bad for Hero because he had a seizure this morning too. :( I hope Hero is feeling better. If you are worried about what the pheno will do to Hero's liver, there are some supplements you can give him (if the pheno does start to affect his liver....some dogs take it their whole lives and are ok on it). Milk thistle and Sam-E are the two we give Phaelin. You would want to check with your vet before giving him anything though, because, depending on his blood tests, he may not need them.

they did blood tests and the results have confirmed hero has epilepsy.

I'm wondering if they meant that they ruled out other causes and came to the conclusion that he has epilepsy? There is no blood test to test specifically for epilepsy.....you generally just keep running tests for other things and if everything comes out negative, the "default" diagnosis is epilepsy. Either way, I know the diagnosis is a scary one, but there are some very helpful people here who are happy to share their epi experiences with you and let you know what has worked for their dogs.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound