Bringing New Senior Female Into Pack Of 3 Boys

Guest arlosmom

Guest arlosmom

We are bringing a senior female 11 into our pack of 3 boys age 10.5, 3 and 4 years.

All the boys are pretty laid back and get along well with other dogs. Janus is a bit clingy to my husband and a bit exhuberant at times. The new female has been in a home for 6 years. She is small dog and cat safe. My boys are not. The youngest has a high prey drive but shares his toys and has no sleep agression and loves kids. All three of mine have been to obedience school. I am looking for suggestions on how to make her transition more comfortable. She is used to being in a crate more than what was good for her. She has not lived with other greyhounds but a cat and Jack Russell terrier. One of her two owners recently passed away. Thanks for your thoughts.

Are the boys ever crated? Will you have a crate for her? Since she's been crated a lot, maybe she'll feel safer in a crate...even

with the door open, so she can come out when she's not feeling so overwhelmed. If I were a smaller girl, I'm afraid I might be

overwhelmed by 3 big boys.

I'll be interested to hear what other ideas come up.

Good Luck....Hope all goes well.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I think she'll do fine. I wonder who she is? :rolleyes:;)

The only things I can think of is, do you leave toys out all the time? How do the boys do with sharing toys?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

For safety, I fed my kids supervised for several weeks. I still am always within earshot (because I'm paranoid). I used a crate for unsupervised time for ~1 month and the toys were only allowed during supervised times. After 2 years, they have had no issues (knock on wood) and the crate has not been used since that 1st month. I also introduced off my lawn outside so that my first was on neutral territory. Good luck and congrats!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You say she "has not lived with other greyhounds" does this mean she was never a racer, or is she an AKC greyhound? Just wondering because if she was a racer, she has lived with greyhounds, thats for sure. I would think that she will do just fine with your pack as long as you give her her own space that she can feel comfortable in if she needs to get away.

Guest greybookends

You say she "has not lived with other greyhounds" does this mean she was never a racer, or is she an AKC greyhound? Just wondering because if she was a racer, she has lived with greyhounds, thats for sure. I would think that she will do just fine with your pack as long as you give her her own space that she can feel comfortable in if she needs to get away.

She means she has not lived with greyhounds since retirement.

She'll do fine Debbie. As an older girl she may come in and set up her own kingdom, your pack dynamics will most likely change. As long as no one is getting hurt, let them. They will sort it all out for themselves. You just supervise. When Daytona came in she had only one rule. " Don't sleep in my space!" Once everyone figured this out all was well. It wasn't hard to learn because it was Tasha's only rule also, so they were already used to giving the older girl her space.

Congratulations! :confetti

Guest arlosmom

I am setting up one of my crates for her in the bedroom. Although she is not used a muzzle they will all wear them for the first few weeks especially when I am not around. Also I may close her in the crate since she is used to it when we are not at home even though the other boys will be out. Gotta go to playday! see yah!

We are taking Kingfish halfway to meet her current owner and take her home from there. Setting up the crate this afternoon since she is used to her crate. Getting excited!

Edited by arlosmom