How Can I Get You To Come Back If You Won't Go Away.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

I got a squawker today and took Jayne out back to work with it.

I let her wander off then shook it. She immediately perked up and ran back to me. I treated her and praised her.

Then she wouldn't go away. It took about five minutes until she got bored enough to wander off. I shook it again and again got an immediate response.

Then she got clever.

After a little more waiting and Jayne giving a couple sits and downs to try and get me to give her a treat, she walked off a couple yards then turned and bolted right back to me.

Smart little brat

When working on recall, I always tell Beth to "wait," and then walk away from her. This was something we worked on a ton in classes. Though I'll confess that she understands the "recall game" well in that context -- not as well if she's at a distance doing her own thing.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Wasserbuffel
Though I'll confess that she understands the "recall game" well in that context -- not as well if she's at a distance doing her own thing.

Yeah, that's what I want to avoid. I want her to learn to come any time, not just when we're playing the recall game. She';; wait while I walk off accross the lawn then come beautifully to my call already. But her focus never leaves me when we do that sort of recall.

I'm just going to have to become a recall Ninja.

Edited by Jayne

:lol :lol :lol

Personally, I'd keep the squawker for special occasions and teach her that when she comes for that, she gets extra praise and extra special treats. You might need something to call her back instantly when she's in danger, eg, if she ever got loose.

To teach stay and 'everyday' recall, I'd keep it more low key. You can teach her to stay just as well if she won't go away - in fact, to me, it's more useful this way. :P Use a clicker and click and treat when she stays even for a micro second at first, then gradually make her work harder and harder for her reward until she's staying on command for several seconds, then a minute, then when you go out of sight momentarily, then for longer periods of time when you are both within, and out of sight.

If you feel you really want to use the squawer to train her, don't reward her if she comes back to you before she's told, only when you give the command. Takes a lot of patience, but it's worth it!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Wasserbuffel

Thanks silverfish. That is what I'm doing. She's already got come and stay down pat. The squawker is being paired with some disgusting dehydrated liver treats I made her, she LOVES them.

I did have success recently. She was doing zoomies and turned and bolted to me when I shook the squawker!

If you feel you really want to use the squawer to train her, don't reward her if she comes back to you before she's told, only when you give the command.

This is good advice and I have been doing it. Despite how awesomely adorable she is when she comes back expecting a goodie even when she hasn't been called. But, I am a stickler with training, so I won't reward for something not asked for during a training session. I had a blind duckling several years ago I had to teach associations so she could live happily and confidently. I learned with her how specific and unwavering one must be with meanings. I accidently lied to her once. I had associated the word "bath" with her getting to swim in the kiddie pool and it was the only time she would step off my hand, she would always fall about 6-10 inches into the water. Once I said bath when she was getting to play in a mud puddle, she stepped off and was completely offended to land on a harder surface than expected, she was unhurt, but I learned that to animals one word cannot have more than one meaning. Bath must mean bath and mud puddles needed their own word.

LOL, Capri is just as clever as Jayne. I love that, though. So far I've been able to outwit her, but I imagine one of these days she'll get me good.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest Wasserbuffel
Awww. What a cute story, though not so much fun for the duckling. I like the mental image though, of having a trained duckling who has learned so well that she expects things to happen just as she's been taught. I hope she forgave you!

She did within moments, she was so happy to have mud to slop around in. It was very different having a little blind duckling around. The very first word I taught her was "up". I would say up before I picked her up every time. Within two days, I noticed she would stand up higher in anticipation when I said the word. She also knew "bug" meant there was something tasty in my hand for her to eat. She would begin to snap around with her bill looking for the goody. She could even follow me like ducklings do. I had to shuffle my feet and call her, but she was pretty good.

Sadly she developed issues when she started laying eggs and passed from complications at about ten months old. I think because she was blind, her body couldn't adjust to photoperiods like the others' and she produced too many eggs too quickly.

Nothing wrong with random "Come!" -- inside, outside, any time at all. Just keep a few treats in your pocket and try to set her up for success (don't call her when she's having a serious nap or engaged in stalking squirrels).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.