Unexplained Vomiting

Guest ecto04

When I came home from work today, I was greeted by my greyhound Zoomer in typical fashion - prancing around ready to go out and play. She was out for about 10 minutes while I got her dinner ready and when I let her in, she proceeded to vomit a lovely bile and grass mixture 5 times in about 5 minutes. She then flopped down on her bed for about a half hour just exhausted. She just got up and is showing interest in her food dish. I'm thinking she needs something a little easier on the tummy than her normal dry kibble. Not quite sure what that should be. Ideas? Also, would you be concerned at this point or not terribly concerned unless it continues and/or her behavior changes. My vet is closed for the evening so I can't give them a call right now.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mary Beth

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this.

If she ate enough grass, this alone, would cause vomiting. Mine try to eat grass all the time, in spite of the fact, they get greens in their food daily :-( . Might just be eating the grass that caused the vomiting. I'd watch her, and be sure she doesn't eat anymore grass. If she is still vomiting by tomorrow, a vet visit is in order. Good Luck!

Yep, eating grass can cause them to vomit. Makes you wonder why they do it. She should be fine. If she feels like eating, I'd let her. She may have had an upset stomach because it was so close to dinner. An empty stomach can cause them to vomit bile.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Yep, eating grass can cause them to vomit. Makes you wonder why they do it. She should be fine. If she feels like eating, I'd let her. She may have had an upset stomach because it was so close to dinner. An empty stomach can cause them to vomit bile.

Excellent advice!

Boiled chicken or plain yogurt are always good for a sensitive stomach - especially if all that came up was bile and grass.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

You know, she could have been extra hungry. I did get home about 45 mins. later than usual so they ate usual. Maybe the emptiness gave her a sour stomach so she ate the grass. I know I probably sound a little paranoid. I've owned dogs for years and this episode wouldn't have thrown me at all if it was another breed, but I've only owned greys for about 9 months, and I know they have extra sensitive digestive systems so I was more concerned than I would normally have been.

Thanks for your help!

MB

We were having a recurrent problem with Streak vomiting bile in the a.m. around 5:30-6:00. We normally get up at 6:00. We guessed it was due to an empty stomach. They eat their dinner at 4:30 p.m. So, normally she and Jonelle get three scoops at each meal. Now, we only feed two scoops for the evening meal and then save the third scoop until about 10:00 p.m. She has not had an incident since we started this new schedule several months ago.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg