Beth Has A Ruptured Cyst

Well I've called a (strong, young, male) neighbor who has a greyhound to come over in about an hour to help me get Beth downstairs -- ideally I'd like to get her out to potty but at any rate we could get her someplace safer. If we really can't get her downstairs (where the bedrooms and crate are) I guess I can get a sleeping bag and sleep on the floor of my office with her -- though that still leaves the getting-downstairs issue.

She wouldn't eat anything -- wouldn't even lick an empty peanut-butter jar -- but I did give her the first Deramaxx dose from what the vet prescribed. so that should help with pain.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

All hail the magic power of dairy products!! :bow

I went to put some yogurt in a bowl for Beth (and have some for myself!) and when I came back towards the upstairs room she was standing up already -- she is so conditioned to the sound of the spoon clanking on her metal bowl! :rolleyes: She scarfed that down, and looked for more ... I gave her a blob of cottage cheese, then used the harness to guide her downstairs, where she ate half a cup of kibble with a little more yogurt mixed in. Then she went to the front door, a sign she wants to go out, so we went for a somewhat tentative walk, and she peed twice (she seems to have to go a lot, from the I.V. she had during surgery, I assume).

When we came inside, I forgot I'd opened my bedroom door to get shoes to take her out in, and wouldn't you know she hopped up on my bed. But she loves it there and if I sleep in the guest room I bet she'll just stay there until early morning, unless she has to go out again during the night.

So anyway, I think we're over the hump, and I got to call off my neighbor. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll just be fretting about the gruesome incision .... I really don't get why it ended up being 4" long!

If it ruptured internally they likely had to make a longer incision so they could be sure that they got to it all. I wouldn't worry :)

Glad you got her out to potty. It's nice that you have a greyhound neighbor that could have helped you if needed :)

I'm betting Miss Beth will be right as rain in the morning. You might have to put a tshirt on her as she starts to heal so she will leave the area alone. That probably won't happen for a couple of days though.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My pup has had a few lumps and bumps removed. I'm always surprised by the length of the incision but they need to make sure they get everything. I also understand they don't make a straight incision. They actually make an oval cut around the lump and then pull the two sides together. My guy had a lump the size of a pea removed and had a 4" incision. I think it's just what they need to do.

Hey everyone. Beth is definitely not normal yet this morning but I guess isn't doing too badly. She slept through the night, mostly -- around 5 a.m. she started making soft little whiny noises but stopped after I lay down next to her (and spent the remainder of the night wedged into 12" of bed). :wub:

She got up on her own but when we went out for a walk she had D. It might be from the dairy products last night but I just called the vet and the tech said it could be from the anesthesia too. I did feed her half a cup of food.

I'm going to take her in to the vet for day boarding from about 10-4 today ... the bright idea that I could do that came to me this morning. I have an unusually hectic day (on little sleep!) and it will be a lot easier on me if I don't have to rush home to check on her midday, and can know people are keeping an eye on her all day.

Oh, and the incision is looking pretty good -- less swollen than last night! Kristin, the vet gave me a no-bite collar to use if needed ... we haven't needed it yet, but it's good to know to be alert as time passes. She also has a fetching kimono she can wear.

Edited by PrairieProf

My pup has had a few lumps and bumps removed. I'm always surprised by the length of the incision but they need to make sure they get everything. I also understand they don't make a straight incision. They actually make an oval cut around the lump and then pull the two sides together. My guy had a lump the size of a pea removed and had a 4" incision. I think it's just what they need to do.

Thanks, this is informative and reassuring! It did occur to me that the pulled-together skin would "pull" less if the incision was a longer one. (And I'm hoping that 4" incision healed so you don't even see it now!)

Beth seems a good deal more normal this evening, since I picked her up at the vet around 4:30. She did have loose poop when I walked her, but it wasn't liquidy D, so I'd say things are headed in the right direction. And she ate a half cup of food quite eagerly -- I'm going to give her some more in a bit.

The incision still looks like something from a slasher flick, but the vet tech swore again that from a medical perspective it looks wonderful (and the vet got a look at her too). She explained the 4" incision when I asked and it was exactly as Fasave described. So now just to wait through all the weeks until it heals up and the hair grows back.....

It will heal faster than you think. In a couple days it'll look so much better! Glad Beth is doing well!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly