Has Anyone Tried The "bark Off?"

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

I was at PetCo today and saw it and figured I'd give it a shot for $10. It's the little white remote control-looking thing that emits a high-pitched sound whenever a dog barks. Has anyone tried this and had success?

I have one (similar item) and it works with some dogs and not with others. It's working with my little iggy fence fighter. He and the neighbor dog will go at it, I use the bark thing, iggy stops, I click a clicker and give him a treat. For a dog that responds to it, it's a great tool to interrupt barking, and bring the focus back to you. However, I have two hounds that could care less about the dang thing. And I haven't seen it work at all in a pack situation where multiple dogs are barking.

I tried a similar product that looks like a birdhouse with my vizsla, who is a fence barker. She looked at it the first time, and then ignored from then on. I returned it.

Guest TexasGreytMom

Wow - we've never had a problem with any of our greys (or dogs) barking excessively. When do they do that? Is it just when they're competing with a neighboring dog across the fence? We live in the country and don't have immediate neighbors, but the pups do occasionally bark at bunnies or deer across the fence.

Our elderly aunt, though, has a little mixed breed that has a high, shrill bark that "parts our hair" and gives us a headache when we visit. She bought a bark collar (I cringe that the thought), but didn't know how to use it. We'll suggest she get the sound emitter - or better yet, we'll get one for her! LOL!

We have a well-traveled sidewalk about 5 feet outside the fence. And since we live on a corner lot, they have 300 feet of sidewalk to "patrol." Sienna barks at people walking dogs, Lucy is her backup, and then Lucy barks at invisible rabbits and Sienna is her backup. I admire the camaraderie and all, but it's very annoying. Also, my neighbors' Jack Russells bark through the fence at my dogs, which I don't mind at all, and my dogs usually ignore them. My neighbor and I were hopeful that a noise bark control would keep them all quieter but no such luck...

I've considered a bark collar but I can't bring myself to do it. Poor little Sienna. When she was younger we lived somewhere that we WANTED her to bark at the fence because on the odd occasion someone walked by, there was no good reason for them to be there anyway. But now in a neighborhood it's not so great. And some people stop and let their dogs stare at her, I don't know why... and kids like to bark back and tease her. So I can't blame her for barking. She has lots of reasons to bark. I try to keep her inside during the high-traffic times of the day.

Guest SuperiorItaly

whats the problem (obviously barking, but when/why)?

She still whines, barks, and cries every time I leave the house and when she hears the garage door open. I've tried everything but she doesn't like it when I leave.

• 2 weeks later...

I have that problem with Billy...

He was given to me because at his previous house, he barked too much and the neighbour complained...

But it *is* getting on my nerves too but I'll never give him away for that. I knew he was a barker... So I am going to try the ultrasound thing with him and let you know!

He barks at 5:30 am when he wants breakfast, when another dog walks by on the street, at the fence, when someone arrives, when he wants a treat, when he wants to play...

Basically ALL the time! He's a talker. He's like his mommy... héhéhéhé (I didn't become a teacher for nothing! lol)

Guest LindsaySF

whats the problem (obviously barking, but when/why)?

She still whines, barks, and cries every time I leave the house and when she hears the garage door open. I've tried everything but she doesn't like it when I leave.

Sounds like she has separation anxiety. An anti-barking device using an aversive (in this case, a loud noise) is likely to make her much worse actually. She is obviously upset to be alone, adding to her discomfort is not the way you want to go.

Have you done alone training?

Isn't Italy a thunderphobic dog on medication? She seems like a very anxious and easily startled dog from your posts. An anti-bark device is the last thing I'd be using if I were you. For nervous dogs especially, you want to focus on positive-based training techniques.

Guest LazyBones

i've seen this device while flipping through some coupons, but am skeptical. a while back i bought a device called the "dog silencer pro" for around $100. the neighbor's dog is pretty much an outside dog with access to a sunroom, and is a nuisance barker. a couple times he has kept me awake all night. well, the device didn't do a damn thing, and i wished i had returned it sooner.

so yeah, i have my doubts that a $10 device would work, at least for my neighbor's dog.

My condo neighbor had a dog with SA, would bark and bark and bark, howl, scratch endlessly when left home alone - day or night...I had the property manager after them, no improvement, more complaints, other people complaining. They initially didn't want to get anything that would "hurt" the dog, refused to try a behaviourist but eventually they got something like this (I believe that was the name they used but the concept is definitely the same) and I wouldn't even know they had a dog now...it was a 100% improvement...

Spring-siggy-with-Hana.jpg
Angel Gary (Hallo Smoke'em 2000-2013), Angel Molly (Kiowa Mysticrule 1999-2011) Linda, Hana, Sultan

There is a bark collar out there that is not "automatic". You have a remote control and when the dog barks you hit the button and the high beep sounds to distract them. Then you can call them over to you and reward them. It's more expensive, but it can't break or keep going off unless a person actually pushes the button. Of course that only works on the dog wearing the collar, so is no help for neighbor's dogs who bark.

Connie

Guest IrskasMom

"

Basically ALL the time! He's a talker. He's like his mommy... héhéhéhé (I didn't become a teacher for nothing! lol) "

That sounds like me and i had to laugh real hard.

The Bark Off Thingy was on Television and the Journalist cornered the CEO of that Company and he was very nasty. It's a Hoax and a Ripp off. My Morty is a Barker to and it is directed to the 4 Cats next Door. The Cats tease him to no mercy and of course he barks.