Since Pumpkin Is In Short Supply.....

Guest hlpnhounds

Guest hlpnhounds

Just wanted to share some info with my greyhound friends.

In the past, I had used canned pumpkin added to the hounds' food if they had a bout of loose stools. As we all know, canned pumpkin has been difficult to find in many areas so I decided to try a different food source.

Winter squash---peeled, boiled and mashed.

It worked GREAT !!!!

FWIW---I have found pumpkin at the smaller mom and pop type stores. They don't usually need to order such large quantities so they have it in stock. The big chain supermarkets, seem to have forgotten to even include it on their inventories for this years upcoming holidays. Will have to wait and see how it goes with the harvest.

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

Guest mountain4greys

I was going to say applesause to. Get the unsweetened kind. Pumpkins will be coming soon. I usually get the bigger cans at Walmart. I buy whatever they have, usually a case or two at a time. By the end of the season, I usually have enough to get me into spring at least.:)

Guest greytbookert

Last year, I cooked down and stored my pumpkin crop and that lasted a while but this year, something ate all but 3 of my pumpkins :angry: and all of my hubbard squash! I've used winter squash, sweet potato, and applesauce (Unsweeted) all with good results!

I bought 2 cases last year,, for dogs,,, and human use,,, will do so again this year,, can't tell you how many people called me for pumpkin,,,,, was so glad I had it to share :)

Guest Becky__R

I still have a few bags of pumpkin from last winter in the freezer. I oven roast it, pick out the seeds and freeze it in freezer bags. You can also freeze it in ice cube trays for easy thawing and tidbit sized portions. Long Island Cheese is tasty and is a manageable size.

Guest Energy11

We have been looking in ALL the stores in our area, and of course STILL no canned pumpkin! Now, I KNOW there were no problems with THIS growing season! I have been using either dehydrated pumpkin flakes, or the organic stuff from Vitacost online (*expensive). At this point, as soon as a see a REAL pumpkin, I am buying it, baking the inside stuff, and freezing it! This IS getting crazy!

Edited by Energy11

Wait until after Halloween to buy fresh pumpkin if you are looking to stock up. Pumpkins that were picked for Halloween, and not sold, will sell for nearly free come November 01.