Lila Had A Scare

When Lila and I were out for our walk Saturday night a big, like professional quality, firework went off right over our heads. It was very loud and immediately followed by another. My poor girl went into total panic mode - bucking, spinning, pulling, and running. Thankfully, her collar from 2 Hounds Design worked perfectly. If a dog was ever going to slip a collar, that was the situation! She pulled me right back home. I am glad that she thinks home is a safe place.

But now she is afraid to go outside. She won’t step away from the door on our before bed turn out. She has been going 12-13 hours between pees. She also hates going for a walk, which used to be her favorite thing. Prior to this she was not at all concerned with loud noises and wouldn’t even lift her head in a thunderstorm.

She was doing better yesterday and was happy and playing in the yard as long as it was daylight but this afternoon there was some loud construction noise and now she refuses to go out even in the daylight. She runs away when I pick up her leash. :(

I have tried really yummy treats, but she shuts down so quickly I can’t even get her one before she is too upset to even eat it.

Will I ever get my confident, curious, fun girl back?

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I am looking forward to reading the replies! My girl also hates loud noises and, after one of the fireworks weekends, she doesn't like the backyard at night time for a few weeks afterwards, although she does eventually get over that. If there is a balloon popped at a neighbor's house or someone perhaps drops a plank of wood... day or night... she is at the patio door, very anxious to get back in. She'll run back and forth from me to the door, making it very very clear what she wants. If it's bad enough, she'll then run upstairs and hide in a corner. I hope someone can help both you and I!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

You'll get your confident, curious girl back, but you might have to be a little mean in the meantime. Leash up for potty if need be and stay out walking back and forth with her, repeating your potty phrase, until she does the necessary. MUCH PRAISE!!!!! Then she can go in (altho in that situation I usually do NOT let the dog loose to tear back in, I insist on a reasonably calm walk back to the house). When she's not all atremble anymore, if need be you can keep her out a few minutes a little ways from the house for dog grooming (petting) or treats, then back in. In my experience, tho, they usually get over these things in 4-5 days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest humveemom

remember not to sweet talk her or hug her when she's scared (example.."aww baby it's okay your okay"). I learned form obedience training that talking in that tone and hugging on them actually reinforces the fear. remain calm and speak authoritatively but not mean of course. She will need to see your calm, relaxed demeanor to get her confidence back. it works wonders with thunder & fireworks too. My neighborhood is LOUD on the 4th., and this was my Grey's first 4th with us. When the fireworks started booming he jumped up, looked at me to see what my reaction was..and when he saw I was sitting perfectly calm he laid back down and was unafraid the rest of the night! :-)

Guest Scouts_mom

Does Lila have a canine friend who is the confident sort? If so, invite him/her over (with its person) and go on a walk together. Hopefully Lila will look to her friend for clues about how scared she should be and will realize it is really okay outside. I am a placement person for my adoption group and I have had my dogs perform this service for some of our more timid adoptees.

Guest gennygrey

During the 4th of July, Shadow becomes very spooked every year during fireworks. He does the same thing, he holds his pee for unreasonable hours. I have to carry him down the stairs and out the door to even get him outside. Then when he is outside, he will freeze like a statue. His phobia always last about 4 to 6 weeks after the 4th of July, then he calms down again and forgets about it. So, if your girl is anything like my boy, maybe she will forget about it. Good luck. :clover

Edited by gennygrey

Lila is getting better in the yard. She even rolled over for belly rubs this afternoon. :wub:

Walks are still a bit scary for her. She goes, but does not enjoy it. Unfortunately she does not have any dog friends who could be her walking buddy for a while. She used to come running into my bedroom when my alarm went off in the morning and would dance around until I got dressed and was ready to go. This morning she stood up then layed right back down. :(

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Ah, she's gotten better! You might try taking her for just very short walks for a time (even just a block out and a block back) -- upbeat, happy, maybe a treat or two. If all her experiences are good and nonstressful, shouldn't be more than a week or two until she is asking for longer walks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.