Gracie I Woke Up With A Hard Bump On Foot

Guest kelli123

Guest kelli123

Is this considered her ankle or foot? I seen noticed this this morning . she was limping a little bit last night and now there is a hard bump . Could it be a sprain? I'm hoping :hope:hope100_0555.jpg

100_0554.jpg

100_0553.jpg

I will have her looked at by a vet . But of course its Sunday and I'm so scared having lost one of our boys to cancer I'm a nervous wreck waiting till i can get her in.

Any thoughts?

Guest kelli123

Greytloves, I so hope its a injury . So should I give baby asprin? I almost feel like I could pass out. I need to relax im not good with these type of things we so love her.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about your Gracie.

Our Goldie has the exact same thing, but she is almost 10, and the xrays have diagnosed this as arthritis.

I doubt arthritis could "show up" this fast, but it would be worth having the vet take a look and possibly an xray.

If she is in pain, you can give (1) 81 mg coated aspirin (*I give with Pepcid AC). OR, if she has Deramaxx or Rimadyl in the house, that is perfered.

Hoping it is something simple. Good Luck!

Guest kelli123

Gracie turned 5 yrs old yesterday. I would rather have Arthur than cancer If you Know what I'm saying. I have Novox and tramadol for pain? no rimadyl.

Edited by kelli123

Guest greytloves

Can you flex the foot without pain? All the way up the leg? Is that bruising up the leg? Does she have any underlying health issues? If you push on it does it compress where your finger was? Is she weight bearing? If there is a bump, can you move it around gently?

Ok, so if she is in pain when you flex and that is bruising and she is not weight bearing, you may be dealing with an injury that requires Monday morning drop off at your vet. If she has no underlying health issues, give her an Ecotrin (my favorite). If it is soft tissue swelling and you have one of those gel freeze things, try holding it on the area for a few minutes at a time. If she is the type that won't do a thing if you wrap it. Wrap it to keep her off of it.

Guest kelli123

Can you flex the foot without pain? All the way up the leg? Is that bruising up the leg? Does she have any underlying health issues? If you push on it does it compress where your finger was? Is she weight bearing? If there is a bump, can you move it around gently?

OK, so if she is in pain when you flex and that is bruising and she is not weight bearing, you may be dealing with an injury that requires Monday morning drop off at your vet. If she has no underlying health issues, give her an Ecotrin (my favorite). If it is soft tissue swelling and you have one of those gel freeze things, try holding it on the area for a few minutes at a time. If she is the type that won't do a thing if you wrap it. Wrap it to keep her off of it.

the bump Is hard and it don't move around feels like a bone hard , and i can touch it and she seems OK. She is favoring it at times and will limp at times also. She let me flex her foot and leg and didn't seem to bother her. She has no medical issues except this right now.

Tramadol's a better bet--that way if for some reason the vet want's to do surgery or a biopsy or something, she won't have a blood thinner in her system.

For what it's worth, I'd guess it's an injury too.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greytloves

Most certainly, if you have tramadol, give that. 50 mg. I had some leftover after my leg surgery and when Lucy hurt herself recently I gave her that until Monday. Twice a day. Doc just sighed and shook his head but said "yep, at least you controlled her pain for the weekend"

It reminds me of what my Jo had at one time and that was a hurt joint. IF that is bruising on her leg and with the red irritation on the inside of the foot, I think she hurt her toe. If that is the case, depending on what it is, it could be ligament damage. That tends to be hard feeling.

Keep us updated on Gracie!

Guest Energy11

Tramadol's a better bet--that way if for some reason the vet want's to do surgery or a biopsy or something, she won't have a blood thinner in her system.

For what it's worth, I'd guess it's an injury too.

Yes, on the Tramadol, if she needs it for pain. Good that you have both in the house! AND, it is also good if the vet wants to give Prednisone, as well. Good Luck with Gracie!

Guest greytloves

See that from toe to knee on the first picture? That looks like the start of a good bruise. Which is what makes me think it is an injury. I think she may have stubbed that toe and wiped out. You can't really see it on the lateral view but the first picture you can see the discoloration all the way up to the knee.

Also, look closely at the second picture of the first post. At the knee on the inside you can see some discoloration.

(oh and I have a spotty white one and am looking at it beyond the spot - the discoloration does not look charcoal in color like the spots!)

Edited by greytloves

Guest greytloves

Only if it keeps her from using it too much. Sometimes you can't keep them still (however looks as if she is not having an issue right now!) and just the wrap will make them not put too much weight on the leg. You just don't want the injury to get worse but then you don't know what you are wrapping so you don't want to make that worse.

Guest greytloves

If it is a toe joint issue, even if she is not limping too bad, get her to the vet. Things like cruciated ligaments or dislocated toes need to be treated sooner then later.

Been there done that. Cruciated ligament was what my Jo had. Vet will probably xray and send her with some Nsaids and maybe a steroid. If it is dislocated they would need to reset and then probably stabilize it with a splint type cast.

It looks to be right at the joint which is why I suggest one or the other. It could be a good ole broken toe, and without the soft tissue swelling, I would doubt a sprain. Pretty hard to sprain a toe!

eta: I'll be watching this thread so I hope for an update after vet visit!

Edited by greytloves

Guest kelli123

First off I would like to thank each and every one of you that replied on this.I so so much appreciate every thing that each and every one of you has said . It means A LOT I Mean a lot to have you all here for Us. More than you will ever know.

Even if its Not life threating to Gracie It is very scary to us Ex specially on a Sunday. I feel like you are all my family.

So we gave Gracie the tramidol at 1:00 and will give more around 9:00 every 8 hours correct? I will call my vet in the morning and hopefully he can get us in. And i will most definitely update i would not leave you hanging when you have all been so concerned. So thanks again and hope all of you have a wonderful night .Kelli

Guest Fasave

I think you've been given some great advice here. Thought you might like to know that my new guy has a similar lump on his front left foot. I noticed it shortly after I adopted him. I had the vet check him out and because it doesn't bother him, we've decided it's likely an old injury of some type. Thunder will be five in September. I'll be curious to follow Gracie's story. I hope she feels better soon and please keep us updated.

Every 8 hours is certainly the max you'd want to give. Patrick takes 200mg a day (2x) and I know the vet said she's not comfortable going too much above that, and he worked up to that dose.

Personally, if she is seeing the vet in the am, I'd give it to her at night, but skip it in the morning so the vet can see what she's like without it. Or call ask the vet's office in the morning what to do.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greytloves

Just checking in this morning. Have you been to the vet yet?

I know, I know we are such nervous nellies out here wanting an IMMEDIATE update. Not like you have a life or anything. But as soon as you can, let us know what they say!

Big Hug to you and Gracie.