Strange Issues W/ Italy

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

Italy has had a little bit of a rough summer with bad storms, 4th of July, street festivals, air shows, etc. so much so that she is easily spooked. She could be sitting on the couch in broad daylight and I won't hear anything, but I'll look over and she'll be shaking (visible from across the room) and will then start panting. Lately she has taken to laying in bedroom shower and/or my walk-in closet. She's gone from eating 2 cups of food to 1 cup, sometimes 2. Sometimes she'll eat her breakfast at 5 pm. But when I get up in the morning and ask her if she wants to go out, she gets all excited and jumps around and we go for a long walk. She's currently laying on the floor of my master bathroom and I've fed her, asked her she wanted a treat, if she wanted to go outside, etc. and she won't come out. I've kept the door to my closet shut unless there is a storm where she can go in there to feel secure. My vet gave me some medicine to give her when it storms. I'm starting to wonder if she's not sick. She's lost 4 lbs over the course of 4-6 months but that could be because of the summer heat, her stress, etc. The vet wasn't concerned last week when I took her in for one of her scheduled vacinations and fecal test. She said she thought she could afford to lose 3-5 lbs anyway. Has anyone ever run across anything like this?

Guest Energy11

This sounds like Cari! She is TERRIFIED of storms, and we've had a lot this summer! If there is even a rumble of thunder, I have to give her 1/2 of a Xanax, or she will pant herself into a near-bloat! She hides her head under the couch, and yes, I've caught her in my closet a few times.

IF it is overcast, it is hard to get her outside, and when she does go outside, she looks to the western sky. This dog can TELL when storms are coming for sure.

The Xanax really does get her through, and I am pretty sure, she will always be like this. She has a reason, though ... when in Florida during the hurricanes, her racing kennel's roof fell in on them. Of course, the females are on the top, and she acts like her "sky is falling."

I don't know Italy's background, but sounds like she was traumatized, as well. Maybe the July 4th fireworks, ... leading up to, and after, have left her like Cari?

I know you can give amitriptyline or Prozac for this type of behavior. At present, Cari seems ok with the Xanax, as needed, but we are used to dealing with her by now. :-)

I'd have a long talk with you vet about everything you posted, here. I'd also be sure Italy had a good physical and bloodwork, to rule out anything organic, including thyroid.

Sending hugs and good luck to you both!

This may be a longshot, but I'm wondering if there isn't some connection with Italy's behavior posted here and your other post about her not being interested in her food. Too many grains/carbs could contribute to being unsettled (behavior here); you might try a grain-free food (we feed Taste of the Wild, TOTW) for a while to see if it addresses any of your concerns. Of course, checking in with your vet is step #1. Good luck with your girlie.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Energy11

This may be a longshot, but I'm wondering if there isn't some connection with Italy's behavior posted here and your other post about her not being interested in her food. Too many grains/carbs could contribute to being unsettled (behavior here); you might try a grain-free food (we feed Taste of the Wild, TOTW) for a while to see if it addresses any of your concerns. Of course, checking in with your vet is step #1. Good luck with your girlie.

I was also thinking this ... some connection between the behavior and the food, or vice-versa.

Guest SuperiorItaly

Thanks, everyone. She came out for a second last night and I accidentally knocked the remote off the couch onto the hardwood floor and she abruptly walked back to my bedroom. But then she same out about 10 and ate her dinner and we took her out. Today she appears to be fine. She was hyper as hell when I woke up this morning to take her out.

I'm going to ween her off her Pro Plan and on to Fromm's which was recommended. I'm going to give her a different flavor every other month starting with Pork Chop and Apple Sauce.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lgyure85

This sounds like Cari! She is TERRIFIED of storms, and we've had a lot this summer! If there is even a rumble of thunder, I have to give her 1/2 of a Xanax, or she will pant herself into a near-bloat! She hides her head under the couch, and yes, I've caught her in my closet a few times.

IF it is overcast, it is hard to get her outside, and when she does go outside, she looks to the western sky. This dog can TELL when storms are coming for sure.

The Xanax really does get her through, and I am pretty sure, she will always be like this. She has a reason, though ... when in Florida during the hurricanes, her racing kennel's roof fell in on them. Of course, the females are on the top, and she acts like her "sky is falling."

I don't know Italy's background, but sounds like she was traumatized, as well. Maybe the July 4th fireworks, ... leading up to, and after, have left her like Cari?

I know you can give amitriptyline or Prozac for this type of behavior. At present, Cari seems ok with the Xanax, as needed, but we are used to dealing with her by now. :-)

I'd have a long talk with you vet about everything you posted, here. I'd also be sure Italy had a good physical and bloodwork, to rule out anything organic, including thyroid.

Sending hugs and good luck to you both!

Poor baby! SHe's lucky she wasn't hurt when that roof caved in!

It sounds like she's gotten a bit fruited out about all the ruckus lately, and isn't quite sure of herself. Remember to always respond to her nervousness in a calm, reassuring manner. YOU are her leader - when she's nervous - you act confident, nonchalant, in control. B) Don't fuss and hover - she doesn't need you showing her that there IS actually something to worry about! :eek

You could also work on some confidence-building stuff. Just simple training, every day - work on her with sit, down, look at me, find your toy, whatever. Teaching engages the dog's brain, makes her feel focused, enforces that YOU know what's what, and grows confidence from the praise when she performs. Keep it short - 10-15 minutes tops, and easy. Baby steps that always end on a good note. If nothing else works in a training session - end with "look at me" and when she does - praise like crazy and treat! :) That's an easy one.

She may never learn the "trick" but the act of engaging her - asking her to focus, and rewarding a lot for even attention when asked for, will remind her that there is a "center" to her universe - and that's what dogs crave.

The goal is to get her legs under her as confident and strong. :)