Kidney Fluids Question....

Had been using Ringers Lactate to give Aggie her fluids subQ. Last time I went to vet to get some more they were out and tech gave me 0.9%NaCl and told me it didn't make any difference to use it. I tried to ask for clarification but she blew me off. Of course vet was not available to ask. Do any of you guys know does it make a difference? What kind do you use? I don't want to give her the 0.9%NaCl if it might hurt her and I just plain don't know. She is my first "kidney" dog. Thanks!

I would call and get the answer from the vet. They aren't exactly the same but I don't know if the difference matters for subQ fluids for a kidney dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom: I would if I could but it is quite difficult to make contact as she likes to spend her time treating horses on the beautiful horse farms in the area. Several hours of the day there is not even a vet at the pet clinic. I have observed the techs actually receive clients and do vaccinations etc. I can only hope that none of the patients has an anaphalactic rxn. I know I would never consent to it without a vet available.

mcsheltie: THANKS! I can breath easier now-especially since I had bought 5 1-liter bags at $11 each + the other stuff you need. As much kidney dog talk as goes on I knew somebody would know. Thanks again!

Edited by racindog

I would believe Julie :) . Good to know.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Only thing is that some pets find it uncomfortable. Per my vet "It shouldn't sting." apparently some dogs & cats didn't get the memo. Your pup may not be one of them. Just a heads up. Also, the difference between the two could matter if there were a tendency to metabolic acidosis, at least I think so. My vets first choice is saline but my dog said no thanks to it so I asked to switch to LRS & all was well.

BTW, I just ordered fluids by the case at Walmat & saved a lot over vet prices.

Only thing is that some pets find it uncomfortable. Per my vet "It shouldn't sting." apparently some dogs & cats didn't get the memo. Your pup may not be one of them. Just a heads up. Also, the difference between the two could matter if there were a tendency to metabolic acidosis, at least I think so. My vets first choice is saline but my dog said no thanks to it so I asked to switch to LRS & all was well.

BTW, I just ordered fluids by the case at Walmat & saved a lot over vet prices.

All this is true. If your pup doesn't handle the first bag well, return the rest and exchange for LR. (My experience, though extensive, is with cats.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).