Need Some Advise On Corns.

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

I am babysitting a greyhound for a friend who is going through a rough patch in her life. He is a very sweet, laid back boy and I want to help him and his Momma but don't know much about corns since it is not something I have ever had to deal with. When he first arrived, his toenails were so long that I thought that was why he was walking funny. I got his nails dremeled down to a good length and it helped but he was still walking cautiously. Once I got to looking closly, I realized that he has corns on all 4 feet. I did some research and hulled them as much as I dared and it has helped but still not enough. Can I use human corn cream and corn pads on him and will it help? What else can I do to make JR more comfortable? Any advise will be appreciated.

We dremel Maya's corns just like her nails. We just take the sandpaper and to the corns and just go in short bits so that the area around the corns don't get too warm. The nice thing is that, if you have a tiny bit with sandpaper, you can grind under the level of the pad of her toe/foot so that walking won't be as painful.

Maya has really benefited, but it's something we need to keep on top of.

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

Guest greytloves

Really interested in this thread as my girl Lucy has two. One on either back foot. She had started limping and both DH and I were doing our best to ignore it as we were so worried it was the dreaded OS. (been there, done that) But then one day she was on the sofa with me butt to butt and I noticed them on her back feet. I squeezed she pulled back. Squeezed other pads no reaction.

Did some research and we have been applying human corn treatment (Dr Scholls) and then vet wrapping that for when we are home. I vet wrapped the toe in a way it was not putting pressure and she stopped limping! I'm going to the vet on Monday with some other dogs and am bringing him the info on how to hull as everything I have read said that hulling really can get rid of it where as everything else just treats the surface.

Am I right? on the right path? Would love to hear more since I am so freakin' relieved that this may be the reason for her limp.

Guest Fasave

I dremel too! Usually I put duct tape on first for 24 hours and then dremel. I've also tried the corn cream with some success. I think the trick is keeping the corn from becoming like a small rock in their pad. By keeping the surface of the pad smooth, I think it helps. I too found corns on a pup I was dog sitting who was refusing walks. I hulled and dremeled and he was much better. When the owner got back I found out she had spent $5,000 on various tests to find out why he was limping. Sigh.

Edited by Fasave

Ivon, that is an interesting article. It sounds like what she is doing is a form of hulling just less invasive, right?

I'll tell you what I've learned over the years of trying this and that and the other. These damn thing suck and they either go away with a short term treatment plan or you are dealing with them for a lifetime. I'm at a loss on giving advice anymore. But here are my experiences:

On any walks outside the house the dog wears boots on the corn feet/foot. I use therapaws other people use neopaws. Either one is very good at relieving the pressure on walks and I can't say enough to encourage anyone to use them and to teach your dog to walk in them comfortably.

If you go the route of asking the vet or hulling a corn yourself soften the pad first. It is significantly easier to remove the corn when you have softened the pad softeners for a few days like vaseline, kerasol (non prescription kerasolv), olive oil etc.

If you want to go home treatment it seems that bee propolis also makes the hulling easier and maybe even reduces the size of the corn. You can use either the capsule/ingestable style or use the tincture at 65% and put it directly on the corn. I've just gone to trying this treatment because like you Teddysmom, even after hulling Inu was still limping so obviously removing the corn wasn't helping his comfort level. I put the tincture on and wrap his foot for 20 minutes to let is marinate and then wash it off. Who knows if it will work or not but I'm no longer trying to cure the corn I'm going for increased comfort.

I honestly believe after all these years the most important thing is learning what makes that particular dog more comfortable. If hulling doesn't help, don't do it. Use boots, soften the pad and use pain meds. I have found rimadyl or tramadol both do improve Inu's comfort level when he looks particularly pained. Then again, he has significant bone loss in that toe due to osteoarthritis so maybe it's that problem that causes the limp we are now dealing with. :dunno

I hope this has helped give you some ideas to help JR

I dremel too! Usually I put duct tape on first for 24 hours and then dremel. I've also tried the corn cream with some success. I think the trick is keeping the corn from becoming like a small rock in their pad. By keeping the surface of the pad smooth, I think it helps.

Oh yeah, those are great ones too. I usually dremel Inu's corn down once it starts to grow above the pad. We had a very deep hull while he was under for a dental so I haven't had to do it for over a month so I forgot about the handy dremel and duct tape processes!

The duct tape when you put it on the corn and keep it on for several days or replace it so the corn is covered for several days will eventually come off when you are replacing the tape. I remember reading about a person putting a strip of tape on an old piece of backing paper used for Avery labels and then using a paper hole punch to create the duct tape dot to put on the corn. Still one of my favorite home remedies.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

I thought this was the best part:

"I became interested in this problem when I adopted an old (11 ½ year old) greyhound (returned to the adoption group by another family). According to her medical record, she had gone to the vet yearly for vaccinations, teeth cleaning, and to have the “seed wart” removed from her right rear foot. Shortly after she came to live with me, she fractured a toe on that same foot. After wearing a splint for 6 weeks, lo and behold, the corn was gone, never to return for the next 3 years of her very long life."

Even though, be careful with a splint, it can cause other injuries, so check it frequently.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest TeddysMom

I tried the duct take trick this morning but it didn't stay on. I am going to pick up the Burt's Bee cream tonight and try rubbing that in to soften the corn up.

Guest eaglflyt

Several GT folks are having very good luck with the new corn cream developed by Murray Avenue Apothercary in Pittsburgh, PA. There's a thread about it here somewhere. Just check the link and scroll down on the page to see info. about the cream on the front page of their website.

Good Luck!

Here's the thread that has so much information about the new corn cream.

Guest goodtimekid

Kid has been suffering with corns on his feet for better than 18 months. We've hulled them, had the vet hull one. We have the cream from Murray Apothecary and it seems to help, but he is still having issues with one foot in particular. We had him at the vet today for his annual and the vet was checking his corns he pressed on that one and my poor brindle boy went to his "knees". Both his front legs gave out on him. He hurt him, and enough to make him buckle. He didn't mean too I'm sure. I keep praying and hoping one of these methods will just work once and for all. Oh, by the way he has boots for all his feet and he hates them.. Be persistent in whatever you find that works.

Guest greytloves

Several GT folks are having very good luck with the new corn cream developed by Murray Avenue Apothercary in Pittsburgh, PA. There's a thread about it here somewhere. Just check the link and scroll down on the page to see info. about the cream on the front page of their website.

Good Luck!

Here's the thread that has so much information about the new corn cream.

Now that is my style! Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to order some from my girl.

After I inquired about it, I received a personal e-mail from the pharmacist telling me all about the cream. I have not ordered it because so far my grey does not have any corns, but I have her information in his file incase I need it down the line.