Tracheitis Among Other Things

Guest goofydog

Guest goofydog

I took Get Em to the vet today for 3 issues: lingering dry cough, pea sized hard lump on his neck and one of those scab/blood blister type things on his chest.

She looked at his chest first(got down on the floor and crawled under him to look!) She's not happy with that spot and wants to remove it. She stated that most of the time once it is removed it will not recur.

Next she looked at the lump on his neck and is not concerned with it but will remove it anyway when she does the chest. Said normally she wouldn't do anything with it at this point but since he would be sedated anyway, why not?

She figured once she looked in his mouth she would be able to say that it was the root of the coughing. Not so fast Doc! When she opened his mouth she was amazed how well his teeth look. Just a small amount of plaque and slightly receding gums in 2 places. No dental needed, YAY.

Working diagnosis is bacterial tracheitis. She doesn't want to do the surgery until the cough is addressed. I call it a cough but it's more like he is trying to hack up a fur ball. Fortunately he did a couple of them while were there and she agreed. Treating for a week with Delta Albaplex 3X tablet(AB and steroid combo). If the cough has cleared we will schedule the surgery.

Heart and lungs sound great, temp of 101.4, weight of 74.2(listed failed race weight 72). His only other medical issue is toxoplasmosis for which he gets daily eye drops(pred acetate 1%) to keep his eyes in check.

Doc says for surgery they start with ketamine and valium then use isoflourene. He has had anesthesia once before for a toe amp, 3 years ago, and came out of it just fine.

Any input/insight would be appreciated.

Aww, sorry Get Em isn't feeling up to par. Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon and the lumps can be removed.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest goofydog

Aww, sorry Get Em isn't feeling up to par. Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon and the lumps can be removed.

Get Em says THANKS Miss Judy!

Sending hugs to one of my favorites :) Is that a fancy name for kennel cough?

Diane, the vet did say that kennel cough falls into this category along with a host of other things. I make sure he is current on the KC vaccine along with lepto since we go to the dog park on a regular basis. Just not sure what he might have picked up :unsure

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Is his cough sort of like a hack, hack, hack then kinda like a gag?

If so could be a number of things. I think trying the antibiotics is a good way to start. But the steroid combo thing sorta freaks me out.

:grouphug to you both

Guest Beaandbucks2mom

My little Dharma Blair has the hack, hack, cough gag......I am so worried. She had eaten a dead frog, a mystery object and then a bird. I took her to the vet and we know that there isn't a blockage....he prescribed nova-trimel.....but the cough/hack/gag is recurring so we are going to the vet again tomorrow. Last time, she didn't do the hack/cough/gag....so I am hoping she will do it tomorrow in front of him. Any suggestions??

Might be worth feeding soft/wet food until you get to the bottom of things (OP and Beaandbucks). If you normally feed kibble, you can turn that into wet food by soaking in water for a couple hours. If you normally feed raw, I'd leave out the bones for the time being.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.