Help With Jack's Skin

Guest GordonInTo

Guest GordonInTo

Jack and I are looking for a little input on reasons for his skin rash. He has had it in the past but never this bad. I would normally give his leg a bath with dog shampoo and things would clear up. This time it seems to be much more red in color with many more scabs. TIA

I included a few pics: Dry leg, Wet leg, and he insisted on a face shot!;)

LegDry.jpg

LegWet.jpg

Jack2010.jpg

Guest Energy11

Hummm... did you change his food recently?

Also, it could be allergies from the grass, heat, etc.

You could try giving him Benedryl, and see if that helps. You can give 50 mg every four to six hours.

Good Luck, and I hope the rash goes away soon!

The easy fix would be this was an allergy. You can try giving Benadryl and seeing if that works, if not I'd go to the vet. It could be staph or some other skin infection. They may want to do a skin scrape to find out exactly what's going on.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like what's been happening to Betsy's back. The vet said Betsy had an infection--possibly due to seasonal allergies (which she does have). I'd already tried Benedryl and Reactine, so the vet added antibiotics and a very low dose of steroids.

It's probably worth trying the Benadryl, and then head off to the vet if it doesn't help.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That appears to be the same thing Shelby has on her knee. We haven't had a vet look at it yet but have tried a holistic approach (a salve) and it has improved but not gone away yet. Here's what is looks like on her:

DSC_00062957.jpg

If you find a solution, please let us know!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Javagirl

Ladd had something which appears to be similar in nature. It was really itching him and turned into some little scabs which resembled pimples. It was the 2nd time he has had it and we caught it early, last time it spread throughout his back. He was prescribed spray antibiotics 3X daily and benedryl for the itch. It cleared in about a week.

This area on Jack is very large, they may want him to have oral antibiotics which (from what I recall last year) was about $90/week. Yikes! Cleared up immediately though. Good luck.

PS - both Vets who saw him could not identify the reason behind the rash but treated the symptoms and it has cleared.

Guest kydie

O.K. everyone has their own thoughts on this,,, ,,, I vote for a skin infection,,, now allergies can be the starting point,,,but vote antibiotc treatment :) just me here

Guest GordonInTo

First off, thanks for the input and cheers! You are a very nice group of people.

I found something interesting at American Greyhounds after googling Jillsfullhouse on PraireProf's recommendation. It was a topic about Bald spots, and this is the quote:

"

One of our racers had the same problem when we got her back. we took her into a country pet store where the owners and customers of the pet store are into hunting dogs, coon dogs, beagles & etc.

The first thing one of the customers said, when we walked in and before we said anything was,

That dog is burned up, too much Protein.

"

Link:

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=117130&p=3&topicID=17791507

This sent the bells off. I recently bought Jack a new type of treat from Costco called Chicken Strips which states HIGH IN PROTEIN.

He usually gets one of these after the evening walk. However last weekend my house was full of friends so I have a feeling he had a few of these Chicken Strips and several other treats. I'm sure you all know how persuasive greyhounds can be so i do not blame my friends. :)

I should have also mentioned Jack is 9.

Would it be wrong to assume lots of protein is not required since he is older and not very active?

Also, he got his legged bathed last night with Hartz Moisturizing Shampoo (contains Vit A and E). The Redness has subsided a bit.

Guest mcsheltie

You said he has had this in the past, and that these treats were given this weekend.

Protein level in these treats is not going to cause this. Protein doesn't burn up a dog. It is possible an allergic reaction to something in the treats could be the start of it this time. Most likely he has a bacteria infection. You should illicit the help of your vet to determine what allowed the infection the opportunity to develop.