Recall

Guest kar

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If I had a dollar for every time someone said their dog was "friendly" when it came to my greys, I would own the world. Oh and every single issue I have ever had at a dog park was when my hound was leashed and I was walking one of them. I have never had an issue when my hound is running free in the park.

Scotch is the one who is aggressive to other dogs (non greys) that is why I muzzled him. And he has never been around dogs that are loose. My other grey is slightly agressive even towards greys when they approach him. My adoption group suggested that I muzzle him until he is less fearful of the other dogs. I took their advice and it seems to be working for me. I do not want one of my dogs to bite another dog. This way I can familiarize them with other dogs without the fear of a fight.

Edited by kar

Guest Cris_M

Kar,

Dogs, even greys, are individuals. We are on our second grey. The first died of cancer, not a off-leash accident. Both greys had very different personalities. Both learned excellent off-leash skills in "safe" areas. By safe, I mean an area that they can't get to cars or that I can't get to myself. We walk in areas that have large fields and in areas that are woodland trails. I have never had one of my greys get lost in the woods.

Equally, I do not expect to ever have another grey who can be successfully off-leash. We had two fosters who would never have learned recall well enough to be off leash. It really is a case of knowing your dog. Great training can help a dog who can learn to be off leash. It won't do much if the dog is not wired that way.

Now, to the 50' leash. Way too long IMO. There are just too many problems with that long a leash. My first grey was brilliant except when it came to trees. He'd go around one way and not be able to figure out how to come back the same way. I wouldn't want to walk around as many trees as 50' would allow. Bikes and long leashes are a really bad combo. Pulling a dog back to you if he doesn't want to come is not fun. Plus, it can put you in the position of following him places you don't want to go -- like in the lake, or through briars.

Whatever extended leash length you use, I have found that applying light pressure to the leash at all times keeps them from dashing off. They feel the tug on their neck, and you have control of the leash. You don't end up with a dog running and being gagged when the leash runs out. Personally, I couldn't control 50' of leash. I think we used 16-20' and that was plenty.

There several important things I have found that help with off-leash recall. Here are two. Walk with your dog for an extended time every day. I walked with mine about 2 hours every day on leash for over 3 months in the same places before beginning off leash work. The second is to call the dog back to you when he is just a few feet away, give him a treat and release him. You start this on leash so he gets the idea before you let him off leash. Getting your dog to learn to be off-leash is hard work.

And, then, back to knowing your dog. Both of my greys were excellent off-leash as long as I recognized their particular personalities. My first was a natural leader. He chose to give me his respect. I needed to be wiser and more attentive with him. My second watches me the whole time he is off-leash. He has pulled off chasing squirrels because I called him. My second exhibits behavior that is not normal for any dog, and certainly not a greyhound.

So, yeah, IMO some greyhounds can be fine off-leash in controlled settings. And, 50' of leash would have gotten me in trouble.

Kar

I agree with ChrisM. Although they are sighthounds and therefore, as a breed, have certain tendencies, individuals within the breed vary tremendously. Each owner, dog and situation is different. Sweeping generalizations and rigid black and white thinking are too simplistic for such a complex subject with so many variables.

It certainly is possible for some people to teach reliable recall (by which I mean the dog recalls every time you call as opposed to when he feels like it) to some greyhounds but it does take a lot of time, dedication and patience. This article describes almost exactly the method I use with my greyhounds:

10 Rules for a Really Reliable Recall

However, even with a greyhound that has a reliable recall, you still need to be very careful about when and where you let your greyhound off lead as there are many potential hazards, such as trees and other objects, uneven ground, rabbit holes, steep inclines etc etc etc. Even though my greyhounds have reliable recall, I would not currently let either of them offlead in open unfenced countryside (other than the beach) although I may change my mind about that in the future. However, in the past I owned a greyhound who was offlead in open countryside virtually every day of the ten years that I had the pleasure of his company.

Long leads I am not a fan of for the reasons that other people have posted and I don't use them for recall training either any more. This is because I want my greyhounds to be very excited when they hear the recall cue and for me long leads and coercion don't create the mindset I want in my greyhounds. However, if this method works for other people then so be it. There are no hard and fast rules.

Read as much as you can, listen to everyone, and then make your own mind up as regards what makes sense for you and your dog.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

portchester obedience club has just opened their registration for fall classes. the trainer i mentioned, mary elizabeth simpson, teaches monday nights and there are quite a few classes for dogs who have behavioral issues. check out their web site, the club is located in white plains, ny just off of rt. 287 and it should take you around 45 minutes to get there. well worth the trip- since you have a rescue dog there is a one time discount( read the paper work). it sounds like many of the concerns will be deal with in a profesionally led class situation.

did you ever contact mary elizabeth at simcorgi@aol.com ????

Yes I did contact mary elizabeth. I will be going soon - just have to iron out a time. Did not know she also taught classes. I will check it out as I have three dogs - might also go to that. Thank you for recommending her. I'll let you know how the first lesson goes. I do know that every grey is different. I know that my last adoptee probably will never be able to be off leash he is just too prey driven even though he sticks to me like glue on leash - much more than the other two when he sees a rabbit all bets are off. I can recall all back from the back yard when they are on something with a watch me command - never meant for that to be the word - but they expect a treat after those words and immediately run back. I am excited to try the training. Some the the trainers I encountered - the one you recommended the fifty foot leash and the training collar - all sounded initially good (except the training collar) but on second thoughts sounded a bit stupid. Thats why I posted in this forum. I know there are a lot of not so good trainers out there. And I know recall will take a very long time - I'm willing to work on it - and even then don't know that I'll ever take the chance of loosing one of them.