Supplements

Guest kydie

Guest mcsheltie

How many fish oil capsules do you give each one and do you have to give vitamin E with it, I heard somewhere that you have to use both.

That depends on how much fish oil and what you are feeding. Fish oil caps vary greatly in the amount of EPA & DHA they contain. You need to look at the label, not go by the mg of fish oil per capsule. I give over 4000 mg of high potency fish oil per day, so I add 100 IU Vit E daily if I am feeding dry or 400 IU if I am feeding raw. There is a fish oil with Vit E in it that I have heard good things about. It provides more EPA & DHA than most other products. I am am going to try it when mine runs out - Link - FYI, this is the manufacture's web site. I have found it online for less than $100 per gallon.

Edited by mcsheltie

I don't add much for my two. They are nearly 9 years and 10 years old. I was feeding TOTW Pacific Stream until they got bored and now I am feeding them Eagle Pack Holistic Select Salmon/Anchovy/Sardine. I add in either a Turkey burger (homemade) or Hamburger or whatever we have left over from dinner, if it is greyhound tolerable. I tried the add-in fish oil, etc., but have found just doing what I am currently doing has worked for them. Their coats are soft, shiny, they have loads of energy and are very content. I also give them Greenies and Milkbones. They go for long walks, lots of exercise, and comfy beds. I am hoping to come back in the next life as my greys....

How many fish oil capsules do you give each one and do you have to give vitamin E with it, I heard somewhere that you have to use both.

Most fish oil supplements already have vitamin E in them as a preservative to prevent the fish oil from going rancid. They're often labeled as tocopherols. Grizzly salmon oil has rosemary extract isntead, but it's the same difference as rosemary extract contains vit E.

For people who feel the 2 should be taken together, I'm not sure the amt used as a preservative is sufficient. Some interesting (and conflicting) research studies here.

I wanted to add - I was generally not into supplementation for my dogs b/c I feed a raw diet, but having done the research that I have b/c of Neyla's osteo, I do think fish oil (perhaps with teh addition of an anti-oxidant supplement) is wise - there's just so much evidence about it's ability to prevent cancer.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That depends on how much fish oil and what you are feeding. Fish oil caps vary greatly in the amount of EPA & DHA they contain. You need to look at the label, not go by the mg of fish oil per capsule. I give over 4000 mg of high potency fish oil per day, so I add 100 IU Vit E daily if I am feeding dry or 400 IU if I am feeding raw. There is a fish oil with Vit E in it that I have heard good things about. It provides more EPA & DHA than most other products. I am am going to try it when mine runs out - Link - FYI, this is the manufacture's web site. I have found it online for less than $100 per gallon.

I know about the Grizzly Salmon Oil that you can buy, but when you guys are referring to "fish oil capsules", do you mean the kind you can buy for humans at the drugstore?

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest mcsheltie

I know about the Grizzly Salmon Oil that you can buy, but when you guys are referring to "fish oil capsules", do you mean the kind you can buy for humans at the drugstore?

Yup!

The Seapet has a lot more DHA & EPA than any human product I can get locally. Plus 100 IU Vit E per tsp.