Vets Choice Holistic Health Extensions?

Check out this dog food : Health Extensions

A guy who owns the pet food store by me recommended this b/c he was out of TOTW...he special orders it. I was going to try TOTW Pacific Stream b/c he did horrible on High Prairie. I needed something and he said a bunch of greyhound owners fed this....who??blink.gif Well, me now...

I love the idea that they are little bites b/c Chance inhales his food...so the dish in the middle of his bowl...coupled w/ the little bites has stopped the choking most of the time.

My questions are:

1) I'm paying $32 plus tax for an 18lb bag eek.gif ...am I nuts? OR does this food look like it's worth it? His poops are okay...bit orangey tho...unsure.gif

2) What do you think of the little bites idea??

3) It's 418 kcals per cup...says to feed around 2 1/4 for Chance b/c he's 70lbs. I split that between two meals...is that enough calories???

4) I've tried Kirkland ..both kinds... Avoderm... TOTW High Prairie... Versus .... Whole Earth Farms... WHERE TO NEXT??? blush.giflol.gif

Thx!

Wow that expensive..Have you tried Natural Planet Organics? Daisy has been on it for 3 years and does very well. You will like the ingredients. Very similar.

WOW!!! Thank you for replying!!! bow2.gif I posted this a few days ago nod.gif

I will def check that out...thought it was too expensive. I know I'm feeding a little less, but geeeez!

Looks like a decent food tho pricey. If he's moderately active, I'm guessing he might need closer to 3+ cups per day but you'll see that :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytsox

I've been feeding Holistic Extension for over a year now but I don't pay that much. Around my area (Binghamton, NY) I'm able to get it at a local feed store and at Pet Depot. The 40# bags cost WITH tax $50 and the 18# bags cost $26 including tax. My 2 have done great on the food and gobble it right up. Neither one of mine has had diarrhea since I switched to this food even with adding a little EVO canned, good solid POO...

IMO- it's a Greyt high quality food.

Guest greytsox

I also feed the Original ( black bag ) and the pieces are very small. Smaller than a dime. I'm feeding around 3 cups per day. Both of mine stay a constant weight.

Do you have a Tractor Supply anywhere around? They carry TOTW. Not saying anything one way or the other about the food you link to (though it's got grain and is not, of course, a fish-based food like the Pacific Stream that works well for a lot of us; it has a real array of protein sources which is more like the High Prairie than Pacific Stream), but if you're wanting to try TOTW it's not hard to get.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest kydie

I beleive the better the dog food, the less you have to feed, but that to depends on the activing level of the dog,,, as for a way to slow down a faster eater,,,, here is an idea I got here on G'T, (and it works) place your kibble in a muffin pan, spread through out the cups,,,, slowed my GSP down big time, and I tried all the dog dishes that were on the market to slow him dowm, :) As for price on food,,, pet stores are always higher priced,, IMHO,,, feed stores and chain stores are always cheaper,,,, around here anyway,,,, if you can afford it and your pups like it,,,, feed it,,,, nothing worse that buying food they won't eat,,,, although THAT has never been a problem here the youngest is my snotty eater,,, but i discovered if he won't eat it,,, I just sprinkle grated cheese on it,,:lol

Edited by kydie

Thanks guys...

I'm going to check out feed supply stores...there has to be tons that I just dont know about. I am really satisfied with his poop for the 1st time since I got him last August, so I may stick with it if I can find it for not too much more than a $1 a pound. We'll see though b/c his coat is soooooo soft (can't say shiny b/c he's white rolleyes.gif ) and i dont even add any Omega 3 that often anymore. Think it's worth it no matter the $$.

I'm happy to hear good feedback from those who've heard of it! THANK YOU! :)