Not Eating

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

Jupiter had Big D last night, and some more today. This is not super unusual (although it's been a long time since his last episode) but what is weird is that today he didn't want to eat. I fasted him in the AM as per usual, but at night he rejected his food. I also tried giving him some Immodium in cheese and he didn't eat that either. This is totally unprecedented. He has NEVER skipped a meal, not for any reason. Now, I know most normal dogs skip a meal now and then, but when is it time to go to the vet? He also threw up a couple of times.

Guest PiagetsMom

I think my Mirage is like your Jupiter......I always joke with DH that if the day ever comes when he doesn't eat, we know we have a big problem.

I guess just the not eating for a couple of days might not be vet worthy, but if the diareah and throwing up were to continue, I'd probably think about it.

I know you guys have been struggling over there with sleeping arrangements........any chance it could be stress related?

Check him stem to stern for lump, bumps, owie spots and weird colors--yellow, pale, bruising, etc (check gums, eyes, ears, groin). It could be nothing or it could be something serious. It sounds like a vet visit, or at least a call, would be in order.

Hope your baby feels better soon,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I would visit the vet and take a fresh morning catch sample of urine with me.

All 3 of my dogs over the years that had kidney problems suddenly (and uncharacteristically) stopped eating as the first sign that things had gotten bad. As kidneys can't be repaired, the sooner it is ruled out (so that you can take the stress off them if necessary) the better. There could be 101 other things of course but get the major things ruled out asap.

Guest jupiterooos

I am calling the vet this morning to see what we can do. Our vet is usually all booked up on Fridays and Saturdays, but they have been good about letting me come in when it's an emergency and they fit us in when they can. Trouble is, today I have a doctor's appointment I've been waiting a month for, and can't just hang out waiting. So I'm going to see if I could possibly just drop him off. I'm worried, he is acting very strange.

ETA: A miracle! They had appointments today!

Edited by jupiterooos

I had similar symptoms with my Angel, Jack. He had a few boughts of the big D and I could see where he had vomited - but hadn't actually caught him vomiting. When I did, I noticed something big come up and he gobbled it back down!!! It was my hair scrunchy.....had to induce - and it turned out to be two scrunchies. It's a good thing I spotted them, because when I had spoken to the vet, they were going to give him a shot to stop the vomiting.....turns out we actually needed to induce.....anyway, any chance he might have eaten something?? If so, an xray might show. You don't want to induce vomiting unless you are sure, though....so vet is a good idea!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

It's good you're taking him in, with the big D and vomiting, he may become a bit dehydrated.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest ChasesMum

with Chase, diarrhea, vommitting (water), and not eating were our cue that she had blocked.

hopefully its nothing but those 3 together are a major red flag for us. Hope all is well, keep us posted!

Guest jupiterooos

The vet doesn't think it's a blockage, she gave him fluids, an anti-emetic, and a shot of antibiotics on the premise that it's hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Fingers crossed that does the trick, otherwise we will need to take him to the e-vet, which is something we already know we can't afford.

Guest jupiterooos

No vomiting or diarrhea so far tonight, and he even wagged a little - please, everyone, cross fingers that he's turned a corner.

Guest jupiterooos

He ate a little bit of bread this morning! We are going back in for more fluids, but he seems to be feeling a little bit better. Now, how do I give him his giant antibiotics without encasing them in cheese...?

Guest Paige12

Maybe peanut butter? would he eat them wrapped in a small piece of steak? Or even with some butter? I even hollowed out a piece of hot dog and put them in there.

Guest dray1965

I just had my first experience giving Bailey pills last week - wrapping them in a piece of bread worked with me hand feeding it to him.

Guest ChasesMum

The vet doesn't think it's a blockage, she gave him fluids, an anti-emetic, and a shot of antibiotics on the premise that it's hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Fingers crossed that does the trick, otherwise we will need to take him to the e-vet, which is something we already know we can't afford.

so no xray then? did he have bloody diarrnea or just the regular sort? i would think that bleeding in the guts would mean some dark blood (and dark stool) and some fresh blood, and a particular stink to the diarrhea - our experience with colitis, and they usually recommend rice and boiled hamburger or other bland foods to get some nutrition in and soothe the guts.

Guest ctgreylover

I am able to just open Tony's mouth, toss the pill as far down as possible and hold his snout until I know he swallowed. I stroke his throat or hold a piece of yummy food nearby to get him salivating! only a few times did I have to hid it in peanut butter or in cheese. I hope hes back to his usual self soon.

Hope Jupiter is feeling better! As far as pills are concerned, Pill Pockets always work for us. I give them as "treats" every once in a while so that when it comes to really having to administer pills, everyone is ready for a "treat". Works every time. I read somewhere that regardless of what you use to disguise the pill, do not handle it with your fingers - use tweezers. Supposedly the miniscule transfer of residue from the pill to your fingers to the food is enough to make a dog's ultra sensitive nose to reject it, especially when their tummy is upset.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hope Jupiter is feeling better! As far as pills are concerned, Pill Pockets always work for us. I give them as "treats" every once in a while so that when it comes to really having to administer pills, everyone is ready for a "treat". Works every time. I read somewhere that regardless of what you use to disguise the pill, do not handle it with your fingers - use tweezers. Supposedly the miniscule transfer of residue from the pill to your fingers to the food is enough to make a dog's ultra sensitive nose to reject it, especially when their tummy is upset.

Ditto, especially if the pill is metronidazole. It tastes worse than burning rubber smells. We put ours in a gel cap and wrap that in a meatball!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest jupiterooos

I should clarify: he's not supposed to eat anything but the blandest food for a while, so I can't put the pill in peanut butter, cheese, or any of the other stuff that makes pills go down so easily :(

He went back to the vet this AM to get another fluid infusion. He was somewhat better before that, but after the fluids he perked right up. When we got home he ran right to the kitchen! He's been eating small snacks and drinking little bits of water, and it's all staying down so far....

Guest ChasesMum

I still use a small piece of cheese even on a bland diet. I figure cottage cheese and eggs are also included in bland diet foods, so a little cheese slice won't hurt.

You could use the chicken and make little meatballs to tuck them into.

Guest PiagetsMom

I should clarify: he's not supposed to eat anything but the blandest food for a while, so I can't put the pill in peanut butter, cheese, or any of the other stuff that makes pills go down so easily sad.gif

That's the reason I suggested banana......it's supposed to be one of the 5 easiest foods on an upset stomach, at least for us humans. It's soft, so the pill slides right in and it makes a pretty good pill pocket - course, your pup would have to like bananas smile.gif

Hope things continue to stay put for Jupiter!

Ditto, especially if the pill is metronidazole. It tastes worse than burning rubber smells. We put ours in a gel cap and wrap that in a meatball!

Pill pockets are great....and I think it's "Greenies" that makes them. Can find them in any pet store.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.