What The.....?

Sage sometimes nits (bites) at random areas on her body creating hot spots. I've pretty much gotten that under control by switching her food and using benadryl spray if an area seems to be bothering her. These episodes are becoming less and less.

Today we were out on a walk, and I noticed a bald spot.. which was not there this morning. As I got in for a closer look, the skin surface is flaky and a little scabby. As I touched it, little clumps of hair came off attached to the little dry scabs. I noticed another bald patch about a week ago.

These are not hot spots. Typical ones anyway. And I have not seen her excessively biting at these areas (of course she could have been when I was at work). But there is no blood or rawness. Just dry and grey-ish scabs.

Thoughts?

the dark bald spot is a scar. The spot in question is to the right and up a bit.

DSC00954.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Make sure it isn't ringworm fungus. (Human Daktarin or Canesten cream may help but vet's medication would be better.)

If the dog is licking at it or nibbling it could be allergy related, or even bites from fleas or mites.

Guest NJgrey

Ellie had something similar when she first came off the track. You could pick clumps of hair out of her - at the base of the hair would be a black, crusty substance. Dried blood. I think it was flea related in her case.

Any chance your girl was bitten by a bug/ bugs?

Sorry, but I'm going to recommend a vet visit.

I'm a dog groomer, and we see dogs with grayish, crumbly skin and hair loss like you're describing. I have no idea what the ailment is, but we see it a lot on Golden Retrievers (more on them than on any other breed). Whatever it is, it never clears up on its own, it gets really smelly, and I've seen it get very bad before owners finally went to the vet.

So look her over carefully and see if you see any other areas. We often see some spots on the back, but the more severe spots normally are on the back of the rear legs and at the dogs' underarms and down the chest. If you see more spots, I think a vet visit is in order.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest 4dogscrazy

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/256932-patches-of-fur-falling-out/page__p__4590157__fromsearch__1entry4590157

Here is a link to my topic that I just posted last week. In my case it was the milk I was giving her, and the patches has no scabs and were not ichy. In your case, since it is a circular pattern, I would second the thought of ring worm. In my topic, I posted another link to a GREAT site for skin ailments. You can check that out too! Good luck!

T

Guest BleuDog

I'm thinking STAPH....there are a couple of threads just recently on this.....SMELLY-like old gym shoes & shorts....

A vet trip is in order, if this is it.....need oral antibiotics, baths with special shampoo 2-3 times a week, and antibiotic spray.....

Sorry, but I'm going to recommend a vet visit.

I'm a dog groomer, and we see dogs with grayish, crumbly skin and hair loss like you're describing. I have no idea what the ailment is, but we see it a lot on Golden Retrievers (more on them than on any other breed). Whatever it is, it never clears up on its own, it gets really smelly, and I've seen it get very bad before owners finally went to the vet.

So look her over carefully and see if you see any other areas. We often see some spots on the back, but the more severe spots normally are on the back of the rear legs and at the dogs' underarms and down the chest. If you see more spots, I think a vet visit is in order.

It does not smell at all. I looked around, and there are no other patches, and it's only happened once before. I don't think it's fleas because Roscoe and I have not been affected and I am very sensitive to flea bites. They have sought me out in the past and eaten me alive. Bugs like me. :rolleyes: I've looked, no signs of fleas.

I'm going to sit on it a couple days. I have zero money right now for a non-emergency vet visit, especially the E-Vet on a holiday weekend..

*sigh*

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm thinking allergies. Cobb had similar spots when we got him. We started him on generic benedryl (a penny a pill at Costco) and they are gone. Cobb is getting 3 pills twice a day. He's 85 lbs.

Could be staph infection. Sparks had it once a few summes ago. Took a few months to clear up. One spot of hair grew back white (he's black).

Hope it's nothing.

If you do have antibiotics, wouldn't hurt to give him a round.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Energy11

When I used to work for the vet in Floirda, we used a medicated shampoo. It was really good, and helped dogs with skin conditions. You might want to check with you vet, and get some of this shampoo, and bathe him a few times. Couldn't hurt, and it is a pretty easy, cheap way to deal with skin problems.

Good Luck!