Patches Of Fur Falling Out

Guest 4dogscrazy

Guest 4dogscrazy

I know I just read about this problem, sometime within the last two months, but I can't find it on the search! I just noticed tonight that Tempe had some bald spots on her head. I was alarmed so I looked closer, and there was a tuft sticking up. Of course I picked at it and a small patch of fur came off and left a bald spot where it fell out. There is no scab or mark on her skin where it fell out. I am a little alarmed, and I can't remember what everyone said the last time this came up! I have started giving her milk in with her kibble, probably for two to three weeks. Is it possible she is allergic to the milk? Nothing else has changed. I'm also worried it's some type of fungus or something and possibly catchy? Help please!

Guest TeddysMom

I would probably have a skin scrape just to be sure. My friends little dog picked up ringworm somewhere and her hair came off like that also. I hope it is nothing and I'm sure you will get a lot of good answers from all the knowledgeable people on the list.

Guest 4dogscrazy

I would probably have a skin scrape just to be sure. My friends little dog picked up ringworm somewhere and her hair came off like that also. I hope it is nothing and I'm sure you will get a lot of good answers from all the knowledgeable people on the list.

I just looked up ringworm and the patches are not circular, so I am hoping that's not it! Thanks for the info though, I know this topic was addressed recently so I guess I'll have to go back through as many pages as I can to try to find it again. If I can't come up with anything I'll call the vet, but I was hoping to hear from the crowd first :) She does have a vet appointment in about 3 weeks, but I'll take her in if I can't figure it out sooner. It's not painful for her, and there are three little tufts that have come out on her head, probably all within the last 24 hours or so. For now she is off milk at least.

I just looked up ringworm and the patches are not circular, so I am hoping that's not it! Thanks for the info though, I know this topic was addressed recently so I guess I'll have to go back through as many pages as I can to try to find it again. If I can't come up with anything I'll call the vet, but I was hoping to hear from the crowd first :) She does have a vet appointment in about 3 weeks, but I'll take her in if I can't figure it out sooner. It's not painful for her, and there are three little tufts that have come out on her head, probably all within the last 24 hours or so. For now she is off milk at least.

Ringworm is a fungal infection. She could still have a fungal infection that just is not producing circular patches of baldness. I don't think I'd wait 3 weeks. She could have much worse hair loss by then, and if it's a fungal infection, it could spread--to you as well.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Could be a yeast infection. Two of my greyts had that that one time-symptoms similar to what you described. Diagnosis made by board certified vet based on skin scrapings so I was fairly confident of it. Treated w/ ketocondazole(Rx- spelling?) and it went away. Need to go to vet ASAP as it will probably continue to spread until it is treated properly and may be contagious. Thats my experience.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Thanks everyone, I just did a search for ringworm and her hair loss does not look like the examples they gave. It sounds like Alopecia areata, which is allergy and auto-immune related, and would probably be caused by the milk. For some reason I just have a feeling its the milk! Anyhow, I found this great site, http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=421, which had a lot of information. She has no itching, no redness, no crusties, no scabs, no licking feet, etc. Just a small irregular size tuft of hair that came out. Now that I think back, I think this has happened to her before. Tempe definately has some type of allergy, when I got her, her entire mouth was so swelled up she looked like she was stung by bees. She was on medical hold when I first saw her, and I begged to have her anyway. They gave her shots of cortisone?spell? and it would clear up and then come back. She also had lost some hair under her eyes. The adoption group said it was stress, her foster thought it was plastic, I thought it was beef for the longest time, but who knows? All her hair grew back, and her mouth is now normal. She eats TOTW Pacific Stream, and her coat is beautiful. But since she has had reactions in the past, to something, I'm going to eliminate the milk and go from there. If anything else happens, I will call her doc and get her in immediately, that wouldn't be a problem. Anyone have any experience with allergies and hair loss?

Gee has allergies (apparently to grain) because she had patches of hair missing, she would chew her tail until there was no hair left on the end of it. She had itchy ears and ear infections. Once I switched her to TOTW Prairie, it all stopped. Her hair has grown back, she's not chewing and her ears are great. I do notice that when she goes outside, she comes back in with red feet so I limit her time outside at this point.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest 4dogscrazy

Thanks everyone for your help! I noticed today that she has started itching her muzzle again, she digs at it with her feet. When I first brought her home, she would do this all the time, when we were trying to get her healed up. It was extreme in the beginning, and very sad to watch. My daughter told me she saw her doing that the other day too. Definately an allergic reaction to something, so I am thinking it's the milk, as I said before. My friend who is a vet tech stopped in tonight for a visit and looked at her too, and said no way it's ringworm. I feel pretty good here, since I can totally pinpoint what it is. I'm thinking she was probably getting yogurt at her foster mom's house, and I have given it to her before too. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, and I seem to remember different times that she has done the muzzle rub in the past, I bet it was when I picked them up some yogurt. Nothing like she did in the beginning. Dairy!! I bet if I emailed the group and asked her foster if she gave them yogurt she would say yes! Day one with no milk, so I'm thinking it will take a couple of days for it settle down again. I will keep my beady eye on her over the next couple of the days, and if anything pops up weird, off we will go! Thank you so much everyone for your help! :) I love this place!

Edited by 4dogscrazy

If there's no itching or redness, it isn't allergy. You really should get her to the vet and have scrapings done.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 4dogscrazy

She's itching her face, around her mouth. But I will probably take her anyway just for peace of mind. They didn't find anything the last time this happened, right when they got her from the track/farm. I've been looking over everyone else tonight, I just did nails, and nothing on any of them, just her. No more spots of fur either, just the two little ones on her forehead. I guess I need to look into the auto-immune issues...or maybe not, haha. Will update if they find anything, if the thread is still alive :)

ETA: the adoption group held her for about 3 months trying to figure her out!

Edited by 4dogscrazy