Ear Flap Injury

I am not sure how this happened but I was walking lexie and I heard her scream. The only thing i saw around was a bracnh up high. Anyway her ear flap the part that is folded on the top side of her head looks like it got poked and scraped. I washed and put neosporin on it but it is hours later and it is still bleeding. Not enough for stitches but sitll some blood. she is very sensitive there. Should i use that super glue bandaid stuff? or what should i put on it to stop the bleeding? I won't be able to cover it cause it is in the flap of the ear (had to explain i hope u guys know what i mean) Or is there a way I should cover it? Poor lexie always has these fluke accidents. It doesn't look serious enough for the vet.

thx for all suggestions and help

ok so it has been a week later and the little bump looks like a scab but not like a human scab. Like a round scab ( i think ) is that normal or is that something else? The bump and the original scrape is under the little flap that u have to fold back to see on the top of the ear if that makes sense. I hate to run to the vet a pay some huge amount if it is nothing to worry about. Should i just wait another week and see? thanks all.. i tried to take a pic but camera wouldnt take that close

Edited by rschultz

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest Energy11

Start with Quikstop if you have it, and go from there,... here is the "ear" portion from my first aid presentation at Mt. Hounds. Sorry this had to happen! They are always doing something!

Ears:

Bites and cuts on the ears:

**Remember, ears, like any other extremities, WILL BLEED A LOT! DO NOT be alarmed, this is normal.( There are a lot of capillaries in ears, feet, face and tails). These little tiny blood vessels bleed a lot! Just hold pressure with your hands or a tissue, and the bleeding should stop.

**Always have the following on hand: Kwik-Stop, large 3X4 band aids, smaller band aids, Trypzyme-V spray or ointment, or triple-antiboitic ointment, and some conforming gauze, aka, Kling., or Tubular stretch Surgical bandage (*comes in different sizes and looks like a fish-net stocking). You can order different sizes on this website:

http://www.medplususa.com/list-index-p-Bandage_Retainers-cp-207.html. (Copy and paste for site).

* You can also stop minor bleeding with Kwik Stop, cover with antibacterial ointment of your choice, use a non-stick bandage or band aid, and affix the ear to the dog’s head with either, Kling (conforming gauze,) or the tubular stretch bandage. This will keep the dog from shaking off the bandage. Re-dress daily, and see your vet for an oral antibiotic and follow-up care.

Guest KennelMom

I use styptic powder on ear cuts and other superficial "bleeders"

I've found if wrap their entire head up just for a small ear wound, they obsess over it an are otherwise mighty unhappy and uncomfortable. I try to avoid that if at all possible. usually a little kwik stop is all that's needed.

eta: if you don't have any styptic powder on hand, I *think* that band aid glue stuff is ok to use on pets as long as they can't lick the area...may want to double check with your vet on that.

Edited by KennelMom

Gracie didn't cut her ear but she shook it so hard that she burst a blood vessel. As a result the blood pooled to the tip of her ear.

003-2.jpg

The first time it was lanced and A LOT of blood came out. Vet said it would possibly refill and it did.

We then had to have it surgically treated. The vet cut a slit on the inner side of the ear, drained and cleaned it out well, then stitched it up. Over the course of 2 weeks he gradually took out stitches only 2 at a time. During this her ear had to remain wrapped.

004-2.jpg006.jpg "Drugs are my friend."

005.jpg "Hats help too."

001-2.jpg Now you can't even see the scar shown vertically in this picture. The vet did such a good job that he never even messed up her tattoos.

So even though the cut is on the upper side of your grey's ear, the blood within the tissue might pool downward. Securely the ear to the head will help prevent further injury from shaking.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Gracie didn't cut her ear but she shook it so hard that she burst a blood vessel. As a result the blood pooled to the tip of her ear.

003-2.jpg

The first time it was lanced and A LOT of blood came out. Vet said it would possibly refill and it did.

We then had to have it surgically treated. The vet cut a slit on the inner side of the ear, drained and cleaned it out well, then stitched it up. Over the course of 2 weeks he gradually took out stitches only 2 at a time. During this her ear had to remain wrapped.

004-2.jpg006.jpg "Drugs are my friend."

005.jpg "Hats help too."

001-2.jpg Now you can't even see the scar shown vertically in this picture. The vet did such a good job that he never even messed up her tattoos.

So even though the cut is on the upper side of your grey's ear, the blood within the tissue might pool downward. Securely the ear to the head will help prevent further injury from shaking.

That is why I wrapped Oakly's ear to his head, ... to prevent him from shaking it, and getting a hematoma like Gracie did. CUTE HAT!! Wouldn't have done a thing for Oakly, though! lol.gif

Many years ago Suzanne Stack posted a great tip somewhere that antibiotic-style Bandaids stick to ears better than regular Bandaids. Then one day I had to use her tip; it worked!

Guest Energy11

Many years ago Suzanne Stack posted a great tip somewhere that antibiotic-style Bandaids stick to ears better than regular Bandaids. Then one day I had to use her tip; it worked!

VERY interesting! Thanks for the tip!.

Funny, how one remembers things that happened years ago. I just remembered when our Mr Bones had eaten dinner and somehow he got a torn ear from the tip down about 3/4" long. It bled a lot so we took him to the ER for stitches. Rather than anesthetize or sedate him for stitches, they decided to use veterinary super glue. By the time it healed, the glue had disappeared. One could use regular super glue but the veterinary style is probably more sterile. It's a great alternative to stitches and if you can't get to a vet ASAP.

ok so it has been a week later and the little bump looks like a scab but not like a human scab. Like a round scab ( i think ) is that normal or is that something else? The bump and the original scrape is under the little flap that u have to fold back to see on the top of the ear if that makes sense. I hate to run to the vet a pay some huge amount if it is nothing to worry about. Should i just wait another week and see? thanks all

Is it possible that the little bump is just a small pocket of pooled, dried blood? Is it discolored? Can you post a picture?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is it possible that the little bump is just a small pocket of pooled, dried blood? Is it discolored? Can you post a picture?

it might be but i dont know what those look like...i tried to take a pic but it wont show up real close without being really blurry with my camera. when i take it farther away u cant see it :( I am not too good at describing but to me it looks like the color of a scab or dried blood i guess round ball shape the size and depth like a small pea.

Guest Energy11

Hummm... hard to say. Could just be a pocket of dried blood. Surely doesn't look or sound like an infection. It isn't red around it, or anything?

I'd give it some more time. Really doesn't sound like anything much. Good Luck!

Thanks..it isnt red but doesn't look like a dried scab either cause when i try to rub it off it won't come off..lol. I will give it another week. It doesn't look like anything that needs to be rushed to the vet for