Stanley

Guest poopsie1

Guest poopsie1

Does anyone have any information/knowledge of degenerative myelopathy? My Stanley was just diagnosed with this and I would sincerely appreciate any info. Thanks,

How was he diagnosed? In a greyhound, you're much more likely to see lumbosacral stenosis (which certainly has similar symptoms).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Am so sorry your Stanley has had problems that lead to this diagnosis. It is frightening and frustrating, I know. If a vet diagnosed my GH with DM without extensive testing, which I am not necessarily suggesting you should do, my concern would be a misdiagnosis. There are just so many other possibilities. (That's one of the reason I really hate neurology.)

How was he diagnosed?

Same question from me. There would need to be A LOT of testing done to be able to accurately predict that a dog had DM & not something else. These include xrays, MRI, myelogram, EMG & NCV, full blood work usually including thyroid & TBD panels. DM can only be confirmed at necropsy so it is more like a diagnosis made through exclusion.

Also, what are his symptoms? How did this start? DM shares symptoms with many other conditions.

Degenerative myelopathy really just a description, a degenerative disease of the spinal cord. Lumbosacral stenosis could ultimately lead to a myelopathy if it becomes bad enough to damage the spinal cord. Advanced LS can also cause cauda equina syndrome.

DM used to be diagnosed primarily in GSDs & later a few more breeds. Folks tended to think of it as a specific disease, something akin to MS in humans. Dr. Clemmons at Florida State was in the forefront there and came up with a flash test though I do not know what the follow up shows as far as accuracy. Now it is being diagnosed in many other breeds & research on the Corgis is leading to the conclusion that may or likely has different causes in different breeds. Some more recent thinking is that DM, or at least some types, is akin to ALS. Dr. Coates of Univ of Missouri was a leader there & she along with several others also identified gene. There is a genetic test for that as well. Again, I cannot say how accurate that is. It is a simple swab test available through this OFA_Link Note that Greyhounds are not on the list of breeds the test is recommended for. That doesn't mean you can't try it.

Am not saying it couldn't be DM but I certainly hope it isn't. Keeping a dog with DM up & going is a lot of work. It is worth every bit of it but if there were something else going on, something treatable, I would sure love to see you find it.

Guest poopsie1

Thanks for the responses. Since I am reading this at work to reply I can't see what I'm typing (old technology here). I'll respond tonight with his symtoms, length, and what the vet said to me. Thanks