Prednisone Question

Guest kerber

Guest kerber

Ok, I have been reading various posts in here about prednisone. My question is: how can I know if my greyhound is not doing well on prednisone? He has LS, and we just started Prednisone and liquid Gabapentin last Friday. He doesn't seem to have had any noticeable change. He is great for a bit, not so great for a bit. He romps around, he pants, he chases squirrels, he crouches his rear when he eats from his elevated dish. He does seem to have some more appetite, which is good!

I agree. Sounds like your pup is tolerating it well. Our girl did not do well on Prednisone — she was very, very restless and did lots of pacing and panting and peeing. She's doing great on just Gabapentin and Tramadol now, though, with regular acupuncture.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Guest kerber

10 mg 2x day of pred and 1.5 ml twice a day for Gabapetin. Thanks for giving me examples of not doing so well on the pred.

Edited by kerber

Guest kerber

Dumb question, :blush what is LS? I have seen it a couple times in the forums...

Lumbosacral Stenosis (Cauda Equina Syndrome) :)

Guest SusanP

Prednisone caused our Wizard to have head/jaw spasms you could see--scalp jumping, teeth clacking, sometimes making him cry out. He also developed tarry/bloody stools. His liver was affected, but that showed up only in bloodwork. Our vet told us the panting is a normal side effect, though.

I think giving Pepcid to protect his tummy from the beginning would have helped with the digestive issues, but otherwise, it seemed to be a med he couldn't tolerate.

Good luck to you and your pup.

Guest Paige12

Ok, I have been reading various posts in here about prednisone. My question is: how can I know if my greyhound is not doing well on prednisone? He has LS, and we just started Prednisone and liquid Gabapentin last Friday. He doesn't seem to have had any noticeable change. He is great for a bit, not so great for a bit. He romps around, he pants, he chases squirrels, he crouches his rear when he eats from his elevated dish. He does seem to have some more appetite, which is good!

Make sure you are giving famotidine (pepcid ac) with every dose of pred. It will save his stomach from getting tore up by the pred.