Funny Colour Patch On Leg

We're curious as to what this is on Shelby's back leg:

DSC_00052956.jpg

DSC_00062957.jpg

It's not bothering her in any way. We are just looking at treating it if we can so she can be even prettier! :D

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

Almost looks like he's rubbing that area on something?? Maybe a scrape? Just some thoughts. Doesn't look to serious, but I'd keep an eye on it. You could clean it well, and put some antibacterial ointment on and keep it covered, too.Good Luck!

Guest SusanP

Skin looks really irritated. If you have any Novosan, that blue antiseptic you dilute in water, you might try cleaning it with that, maybe put on antibiotic ointment for good measure and keep a close eye on it.

It looks a little like a spot on our Shane, before it lost its hair. Here's the thread and the picture.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/254339-vet-unsure-what-this-is/page__view__findpost__p__4534524__fromsearch__1

We concluded it was probably a spider bite. The clay recommended by racindog did the trick, though it took a long time.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

We have no history on how or why it happened as we only adopted Shelby this past weekend. It's nothing serious as she doesn't lick it or anything.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest MyBoys

I would clean it good with gentle soap and water, I use Ivory soap ( the old fashion baby soap) and warm water before applying any medicine, a tip from my vet. She told me cleaning the wound or skin abrasion real good first helps the topical medications to work better.

Guest Brandy_b

Its not a real wound, and I didnt find she licked that spot at all (the cut on the leg yes, but not that spot). I was told its just something like a hot spot, or could be from not laying on soft blankets for a long time :(

<3 B

Its not a real wound, and I didnt find she licked that spot at all (the cut on the leg yes, but not that spot). I was told its just something like a hot spot, or could be from not laying on soft blankets for a long time :(

<3 B

That was what I was thinking to, a 'hot spot'. You know her history better than I am it's very possible she wasn't on a soft bed for some time. We made her a beautiful new bed and she didn't like it. Instead she laid on the floor or carpet. So DW made a less puffy bed and she lays on that while her big brothers try to get her original bead. We are treating with essential oils that DW specializes with so hopefully it will clear up.

What's also interesting is I think that is what I call her 'bad leg'. When she runs, it doesn't always support her and can give out if that is the right term.

It's a licked spot. She's either obsessing on it (grooming too much) or at some point, she had a wound there that healed (and she was tenderly caring for it).

My thoughts are to wash it well and leave it be. The staining will take some time to disappear (as the fur falls out and new stuff grows in).

You can rinse with a dilute peroxide mixture to bleach it if you want (just once or twice a day), but I always worry about irritation using peroxide for superficial things like that :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest kydie

I too would wash it with warm water, and a gental non drying soap 2x's a day , but would sure watch it close, skin things can either get better fast, or get worse real fast Good Luck :)