Aggressive When Playing

Guest CakeLady

Guest CakeLady

We adopted our first greyhound (Cami) last May and then our second (Calvin) in October. Cami is a little pistol and Calvin is so sweet and shy until they are in the backyard together. They LOVE to go in the backyard but it seems that we can hardly let them out at the same time anymore because they play so aggressively. Our friends have coined the term "stallioning" to describe the way they play. They buck up against each other and Calvin will nip at Cami's neck and they make growling noises. I know they are just playing but it is becoming too scary sounding and i hear a yelp every now and then. I am considering muzzling Calvin in the backyard if i let them out at the same time. I always end up standing out there screaming "no!" and it's not helping at all.

Any suggestions as to how to get them to place nicely with no nipping? Do you think a muzzle would help?

Note: they are totally smitten with each other and they always want to be in the same crate together too. So the problem definitely doesn't mean they don't get along. It's only outside!

Emily:)

Edited by CakeLady

That's just every day greyhound playing, it's part playing, part competition. To be safe and not worry, muzzle them. They're used to wearing their muzzles at every turn out while in the racing kennel so they're used to playing in them. It will save you a lot of worry and a lot of e-vet visits for stitches when they accidentally hurt each other. If you see they're getting serious and you'll know when it gets serious because they will get loud and very serious, one will usually back off but if not they can go at it pretty good, step in and stop the play. I can't stress to you the importance of the muzzles though. It's peace of mind for you and they can still play.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Samantha

I agree with Judy, Typical Greyhound play, can sound and look quite aggresive, I too would muzzle both, for peace of mind and to save on vet bills if things do get alittle heated. Good Luck :)

Guest bbquer

I've observed the same with our greyhound and her playmates. I know they're just playing; however, for my peace of mind I always put their muzzle on them at playtime. To me it's like a human sporting event, that little nudge may escalate to something a little too rough. I also observed when one dog yelps, it's a signal to ease up a little. Our dogs have always respected that yelp signal.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Commonly called "bitey face" here are two of mine playing:

th_biteyface.jpg

I foster, when there is a foster hound in the house, all hounds are muzzled when let out. If it is just my hounds, I dont muzzle if I am going to be outside with them, such as when I first get home from work and do my round of "poop patrol". If I am going to allow any more than 2 hounds out at once without my direct supervision, then all are muzzled.

Hope you enjoyed the short video.

Chad

Guest CakeLady

wow! thank you so much for your encouragement. i feel so much better about the idea of muzzling and will definitely do so. thank you again!

emily

Edited by CakeLady

Guest gecko_foot

Commonly called "bitey face" here are two of mine playing:

th_biteyface.jpg

I foster, when there is a foster hound in the house, all hounds are muzzled when let out. If it is just my hounds, I dont muzzle if I am going to be outside with them, such as when I first get home from work and do my round of "poop patrol". If I am going to allow any more than 2 hounds out at once without my direct supervision, then all are muzzled.

Hope you enjoyed the short video.

Chad

I love that video! They look like they're having so much fun! Tumnus has it kind of hard being an only dog right now because I don't handle a foot to the face as well as another dog would. Fortunately, he gets along with other dogs (both large and small) quite well, and he can play rough with them.

Guest LindsaySF

wow! thank you so much for your encouragement. i feel so much better about the idea of muzzling and will definitely do so. thank you again!

emily

Why'd you remove the tutu pic? It was adorable! :wub:

I muzzle when they are out together. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Please muzzle, and I would encourage you to follow your instincts if you feel they're being more aggressive than playful in the yard. There can be a whole different set of dynamics outside the home. I speak from sad experience.

When we got Pogo, he was 9 months old, and full of play. We already had Wabi and Brilly, young adults. Everyone wanted to play, but the older dogs were really rough. I always muzzled, so there were no serious injuries (though there were some scratches from time to time), and I got this same advice when I asked here about rough play. So I didn't intervene.

There was a lot of hounding Pogo, and after a lot of "stallioning" (good term!), Pogo often ended up going belly up, and Brilly would sort of mash him into the ground with his neck and shoulders. This always made me uncomfortable, and I'd step in at that point, but it was constant yard action, and I kept hearing, "Oh, they just play rough. Don't over-mother them!" So, I tried to stay out of it and let them "work it out". :(

Finally, when Pogo got a little more of his full growth, he struck back, and became aggressive in a real way to Brilly, to other dogs, in the house, in the yard, on walks .... :o

It took us about 2 1/2 years to work back out of that few months of bad training by Brilly allowed by me. Yes, I feel awful. Brilly has had to change his tune in the mean time, and got a lovely 4" scar on his throat from a chomp Pogo gave him just for being too close one day.

Now, I'm not saying that what your dogs are doing is dangerous or is likely to change into truly aggressive fighting. I'm just saying, you're the only one watching, and to go with your gut.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I just wanted to add, one way to tell if they're both having fun is whether they both return to the play when they move apart, especially with bouncy, puppy-ish motions. If one seems to be wanting to get away and the other is hounding him/her, that's not fun and games, at least for the chase-ee.

Good luck! Hope it's all for laughs!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest LindsaySF

I just wanted to add, one way to tell if they're both having fun is whether they both return to the play when they move apart, especially with bouncy, puppy-ish motions. If one seems to be wanting to get away and the other is hounding him/her, that's not fun and games, at least for the chase-ee.

Agreed. I break them up when it turns into bullying, or someone seems scared.

Guest SusanP

Keep their nails dremeled smoothly and short, too. We've had injuries requiring staples--not from teeth, but from toenails. We muzzle ours out in the yard. Before we did that, we had a few biting incidents.

Guest chaoran22

mine do it too. lots of people here just muzzle their dogs, which is the safest way to go, they can still have fun but there's no danger of them hurting each other. i actually don't muzzle mine and just let them go at it because mine are pretty good at stopping if one has had enough. so if it gets to the point where one of mine (always my Oscar, my Lula can go forever) has had enough, he lets out a big snarl (different from his play snarls and growls), and my Lula just stops and then I go out there and play with them individually a bit and then we go inside. once you figure out their dynamic and understand it better (it took us awhile to learn what was dangerous and what was harmless) you can better decide how to control it, if at all. until then, it never hurts to muzzle just to be safe.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I don't really have any advice as Buzz is very aggressive towards Emmy in an effort to get her to play so I don't let them out together. One goes out and then the other goes out. I will mention that if you muzzle Calvin, you must muzzle Cami as well. It's either all or nothing with muzzles for the safety of all.

Guest TeddysMom

After I learned my lesson the hard way with Teddy getting injured, I can now really enjoy having all the greys out together muzzled. With two acres for them to run on, there would be no way I could get to them fast enough to break up an altercation before some damage would be done so now the greys are only out together, muzzled, they have a blast and I can have fun playing with them.

Guest jaws4evr

Does the other dog appear to be having as much fun? If they're both having a great fun time and no one is getting hurt, then they probably just like the rough wrestley play with lots of noise! Ours can be pretty noisy, and the GH can get a little worked up soemtimes so once the other dog starts displaying signals that he's not comfortable, we step in and separate, or muzzle her (since she sometimes will continue to nip at him when he tries to disengage).

Some dogs are just super noisy and boisterious and that might be totally fine for them, although it might be a bit shocking to other people :)

The muzzles certainly can't hurt to keep everyone safe either.

Guest KennelMom
I always end up standing out there screaming "no!" and it's not helping at all.

That's a problem you may want to address. I sure hope you are muzzling b/c if they were to actually have an altercation, it sounds like you'd be in deep trouble.

They could just be playing, with each an equal and willing partner. Or, one could be being rude and the other trying to defend themselves. Hard to say for sure without seeing it. Normal dog play can seem rough to us sometimes, even though it's normal.

Guest CakeLady

I do want to confirm that they are definitely playing, but I am also wanting to be on the safe side of things. I appreciate all the input and help!! We ordered muzzles 2 days ago and are going to start muzzling them when outside together. They are young kids and love to play but I don't ever want to take the chance on an accident happing. Plus, I'd rather them play in the house and go outside to do their business and stretch their legs rather than play fight. It's just not worth the chance!

:)

emily

Remember: you must muzzle them BOTH no matter which is the perceived "aggressor." Not fair (or safe!) to muzzle just one!

Good luck, and try to relax! Dogs play really rough, and they LOVE IT!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Remember: you must muzzle them BOTH no matter which is the perceived "aggressor." Not fair (or safe!) to muzzle just one!

Good luck, and try to relax! Dogs play really rough, and they LOVE IT!

Yes to both points. MUST MUZZLE BOTH!!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.