Dew Claw Issue - Vet Time

Both Charlie and Jack have torn their dew claws recently. Jack's claw has since healed fine but Charlie's has not. We have bandaged it and also left it open to get air however it still has not fallen off and it bleeds after he has been out. So we are planning to go to the vet today to have it looked after. I am not really sure what they are going to be able to do because if they cut it down to where it's cracked, that is way into the quick. Has anyone's vet done something different?

Tks.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Smiley

We've never had that issue with a dew claw, but Smiley did tear a regular nail waaayyy back and the vet did in fact clip it really far back past the tear. It did heal just fine after that. I hope they can fix Charlie up with minimal pain and fuss today. Good luck to you both!

Guest kydie

Every once in awhile I see this issue posted, our "birders" have their's removed at birth, as they are sure to have issues, as they are "working dogs" our grey has not had that issue"yet" but is nice to know what to do if. or should I say when he does. I do know dwe claw removal on older pups is a major issue. Good Luck :)

Guest Shermanator

Unfortunately my Gypsy has done this multiple times. My vet gives her a mild sedative (just enough to make her drowsy). Then numbs the dew claw area and clips it back. Some Tramadol for a few days and she is fine.

Same here. Sherman broke his right @ the nail bed. The vet sedated him, numbed the area, and had to clip the entire dew claw off. (OW.) He had a couple days of Tramadol, and also was on an antibiotic. We kept it wrapped for several days, to protect it and he had the antibiotic, since they clipped at the nail bed- just to be safe.

Several days later, he was bandage free, and completely back to normal. Its been 3 weeks since the break, and he's had no issues. :)

Capri has ripped hers clean off twice! Actually I think it was the same one both times. I was surprised when it grew back the first time because there was no nail left at all, visibly, just the little flesh stump. Poor thing, she's a starfish growing her limbs back. :lol I swear if she rips another one off I'm taking her to the vet to have them removed. Why is it a major issue to have them removed in an older dog? I would think a little sedative, chop it off, wrap it up and send the dog home with pain killers. What more is there?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest Shermanator

Capri has ripped hers clean off twice! Actually I think it was the same one both times. I was surprised when it grew back the first time because there was no nail left at all, visibly, just the little flesh stump. Poor thing, she's a starfish growing her limbs back. :lol I swear if she rips another one off I'm taking her to the vet to have them removed. Why is it a major issue to have them removed in an older dog? I would think a little sedative, chop it off, wrap it up and send the dog home with pain killers. What more is there?

I would think they put the dog under anesthesia to remove the dew claws, and that is the concern in the older dogs. Sherman once tore the webbing out in one of his paws. To stitch it by (they had to clean it, and removed the webbing completely,) he was knocked out. :) I think it makes it easier on the vet and the dog.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I had the exact same issue as Jetcity. My boy Bart ripped his dew claw, it was hanging on by the quick. So I laid him down on his side, had my wife talk to him and gently stroke him, then I grabbed the nail and ripped it off. All that was left was a bloody little stump. I flushed the wound, wrapped for 5 days, gave a 10 day dose of antibiotics and that was it. The nail has since grown back, but since it was so small, I have kept the nail very short with the dremmel.

Chad

Otis had a similar problem with his dewclaw - the vet trimmed it back and it healed well. However, because his dewclaws stuck out and were more prone to catching on things, she removed them both when he had his next dental while he was under. Kieran's dews had already been removed before she came to live with us - I wish they'd do them all when they are puppies, when it isn't quite as big a deal to do it.