Peeing Inside New Home

Guest peggy

Guest peggy

My boyfriend and I recenlty bought a new home, with wall to wall carpeting, which is a change from the wood floors with area rugs that Peggy my Grey for the past 3 years was used to in our apartment. We've been here since mid-March and Peggy has recently taken on a new problem behavior.

She has started to pee in different areas of the house randomly. The frustrating thing about it all, is there is no way to predict when or where this will happen. Sometimes she is good all day when we are gone, some times she can't last an hour. Last night she got up in the middle of the night, didn't pace or whine at all, and just started to pee on the carpet in the middle of our bedroom before my boyfriend notice and got up and stopped her.

A few days ago, we had relatives in town for the Memorial Day weekend and while we were all in the next room, she peed in the dining room. I know you all will suggest a UTI, but I dont think its that b/c these incidents have been sporadic and days adnd days apart. We take her out on a regular schedule four times a day, and always before we leave the house for even a few inutes. She is good 95% of the time, but these few incidecnts are really causing concern. Suggestions on how to stop this behaviour and what is causing it? It has gotten so that we are lmiiting her water on work days.

(Apologies for typo-s, topic post application is malfunctioning).

Guest Wasserbuffel

You might still want to check for a UTI. Mine had accidents a couple days apart when she got hers. There might also have been a dog in the house before you moved in that peed on the carpet and it didn't get cleaned properly.

I'd still have her urine checked for a UTI. Just to rule it out. She might be just getting one and it will not even show up on a dip. Maybe your vet would let you have the medicine to see if she improves.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Absolutely check her for a UTI.

I would never limit my dog's access to water in the summer--just my opinion.

Also, something to consider; if the carpet isn't brand new, there could well have been a pet who peed on in before you moved in. You'd be surprised how well you can get pee out of carpet to the HUMAN eye and nose. My old condo had one section that had been DRENCHED when George was having his bought of mysterious peeing; my realtor was so impressed with the appearance she told me not to even bother cleaning it.

I'm sure the buyer got quite a little shock when she tore it out to put in hardwood; I'm sure it was horribly gross underneath! So sorry...blush.gif

Anyway, just because sometimes she CAN hold it does NOT mean she doesn't have a mild infection.

Before you dismiss a medical cause (which believe me, is FAR easier to fix than any other cause) it's certainly worth trotting a urine sample off to the vet.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest MyBoys

I agree with all the above,if you can catch her peeing outside you can drop a urine sample off at the vet, but for sure I would get her check, a UTI can cause a lot of other problems if it goes untreated in dogs and people.

Guest Furmom

You might still want to check for a UTI. Mine had accidents a couple days apart when she got hers. There might also have been a dog in the house before you moved in that peed on the carpet and it didn't get cleaned properly.

agree... if her meds are good. Ours walked into our new house and had a big pee and poop... never did it before. Came to find out two dogs lived here before us....

Guest Paige12

My niece had her grey who had never gone in the house. Moved into the new house, previous owner had cats that he wasn't good about making sure they used the box, and even though the carpets were scrubbed before they moved in, he started going right where the cats had.

Guest peggy

Its been a few days and we haven't had an incident. Note for those concerned: I certainly don't leave her without any water during the hot summer days. A) When it is hot we leave the AC on for her, and B ) "take up" might have been a bit harsh, we leave water for her, just not the copious amounts we normally do.

Since she hasn't had anymore episodes I haven't had her tested for a UTI, but if it happens again, I'll be sure to.

Also, we do know that the pervious owners before us had a dog. So it might be that Pegs was just marking over his scent, however they were scrupulously clean people so to me it seems more likley to be tother things (Stress from the visitors, UTI, etc.). I apologize for errors again, the posting screen is acting strangely. and Thanks all for the advice!