Carafate: How To Give It

Guest Energy11

Right now, I wish I had some for Staggerlee.

I'd crush it up, and mix with low sodium chicken broth or maybe some plain, unflavored yogurt. As long as it is CRUSHED up, you can mix with about anything.

Good Luck and many hugs!

Right now, I wish I had some for Staggerlee.

I'd crush it up, and mix with low sodium chicken broth or maybe some plain, unflavored yogurt. As long as it is CRUSHED up, you can mix with about anything.

Good Luck and many hugs!

This is liquid...he hates the syringe in his mouth!

Guest Energy11

Then, the only other thing is to try mixing it in something he likes? maybe yogurt, or into so vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt???

Then, the only other thing is to try mixing it in something he likes? maybe yogurt, or into so vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt???

OK thanks! i thought it needed to be given alone..so it would coat the stomach before any food went in?

Guest Energy11

OK thanks! i thought it needed to be given alone..so it would coat the stomach before any food went in?

For the SMALL amount of ice cream and/or frozen yogurt you'd need to "get it down," I honestly don't think it would matter :-) AND, both of these foods, also coat the stomach.

Guest BorzoiMom

Just a word of warning, many pre-packaged chicken broths have onion in them. Read the labels well or make your own. :)

When we gave it to Cosmo I stirred it into a pudding cup. She enjoyed it and the carafate still did its job.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Energy11

Just a word of warning, many pre-packaged chicken broths have onion in them. Read the labels well or make your own. smile.gif

EXCELLENT point to bring up! I spent about 1/2 hour today in the soup isle, with the broths! :-( ... I found ONE with the last ingredient, onion.... If one has time, the BEST thing to do is boil up a chicken, and you have the chicken and tons of broth, too.

Edited by Energy11

You could have the vet script you tablets rather than liquid--5mls is a large volume to get in a dog. The tablets can be hidden in a piece of cheese or cold-cut. If it turns out the tablets aren't working for you they melt in warm warm and then you can mix it in a favorite treat like ice cream.

Guest hlpnhounds

You could have the vet script you tablets rather than liquid--5mls is a large volume to get in a dog. The tablets can be hidden in a piece of cheese or cold-cut. If it turns out the tablets aren't working for you they melt in warm warm and then you can mix it in a favorite treat like ice cream.

Sorry but 5 mls is really not much to get into a dog----it's one TEASPOON. Not a really big volume. The tablets are fine to use however they work BEST if the tablet is crushed and then dissolved into 3-5mls of water and given. the sucralfate (or carafate) is supposed to coat the esophagus and stomach.....the pills do not dissolve easily without crushing them first so will not do what they were prescribed to do.

We add just a little bit of honey to give a sweet flavor. Toby doesn't seem to mind it when I do that. Of course I also open his mouth and squirt it down the throat before he really knows what I am doing. :blink:

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Sorry but 5 mls is really not much to get into a dog----it's one TEASPOON. Not a really big volume. The tablets are fine to use however they work BEST if the tablet is crushed and then dissolved into 3-5mls of water and given. the sucralfate (or carafate) is supposed to coat the esophagus and stomach.....the pills do not dissolve easily without crushing them first so will not do what they were prescribed to do.

Sorry don't really want to mix it up but, the OP stated that he/she is really is having trouble syringing the pup. I am well aware that it is just a TEASPOON but, why struggle if you don't have too----really!

Sorry don't really want to mix it up but, the OP stated that he/she is really is having trouble syringing the pup. I am well aware that it is just a TEASPOON but, why struggle if you don't have too----really!

I just spoke with my vet and will go pick up a script for the tablets. She said to mix it with 1-2ml of water..much less than the 5ml. I need to give it to him every day for at least 5 days..and really don't want to stress him any more than I have to! he is little guy..

Guest Greytluv

I used to have to give my dog a syringe. I used to put it between the side teeth and mouth. I would slide the syringe in and squirt it. It would go right down.

Guest Swifthounds

Just a word of warning, many pre-packaged chicken broths have onion in them. Read the labels well or make your own. :)

The trace of onion isn't nearly as bad as the sodium and preservatives.