Thinking About Getting A Grey

Guest HoundyGirl

Guest HoundyGirl

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a greyhound. I've got some questions to do with my other dog that I was hoping you might be able to help me with.

My other dog is a Treeing Walker Coonhound, so she's a scent hound. She's a bit neurotic. For example, loud noises (getting a pot out of the kitchen cupboard) sends her to her "safe place" upstairs in the bedroom. Sometimes she just likes to lie up there by herself and be quiet. Most of the time she sits on the couch with me, but I get the feeling that she could take that or leave it. She's kind of an anxious, loaner dog, although she can show affection when she wants to. The affection is always on her terms. She's a beautiful dog and I've had her about a year. I love her very much.

I've been thinking of getting a greyhound. I love the breed and have always wanted to have a sight hound and a scent hound. I think a greyhound would be perfect for me because I live in a townhouse (3 bedrooms) and have just enough room to add another large dog. I live near a great dog park, so there'd be a place for the grey to run once or twice a week. I think a greyhound's temperament would be a good match for my personality, as well. I like quiet, playful dogs.

My question is this: Would getting a grey help bring my Coonhound out of her shell a little or would it force her to retreat further inward? Would it maybe calm her down to have another dog in the house? Or would getting another dog be too anxiety provoking for an anxious dog? I want to do right by my Coonhound, so I figured I try asking you all and see what you thought. You have a lot more experience with greys and other dogs than I do.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

HoundyGirl

Guest barkdogs

It seems to me that a second dog often helps, especially if you have a dog who is nervous about some things. Greys are generally calm and low key dogs, although some can be pretty playful. Not all greys will run in a dog park--my two "little" (not!) boys do, but most of my past ones just wandered around to get petted by everyone! I would definitely take your dog with you to pick one-let her pick the new hound, so that you have a good chance of having them get on well. Anything you can tell the adoption rep about your coonhound's personality will help them to help you find the right match. I bet your coonhound will be happy to have a new friend!

And :rules require that you post pictures of your dogs, of course :bounce2 :bounce2 :bounce2

Best of luck! And welcome!

Adelaide

I can't answer all of your questions, but I do think that if you got another dog, a greyhound is the perfect laid-back personality type to fit in with your coonhound. Maybe you can try fostering with intent to see how your hound responds to another dog in the house.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest barkdogs

I love Coonhounds! I have a friend in Tennessee who has several rescues! They are so cool--we don't see many here in Philly!!!

Guest jenznaz

Seems to me a group could easily find the right greyhound to match your dog. From my experience as long as you don't have a terribly alpha personality to overwhelm your insecure coonhound, you could have a good situation where your existing dog feels comforted by the presence of another hound.

I'm sure more experienced people will chime in soon!

Guest lasharp1209

Agree with the fostering suggestion. You're not locked into anything, you're helping the adoption group out, and you absolutely can adopt if everything works!

A lot of times a spooky dogs will gain confidence when another dog is added to the pack. You may find your girl is the same way. It sounds like a greyhound would be the right breed for you in this case. Talk with an adoption group, meet some hounds, let your girl meet some hounds and see how it goes. You can also see if there is a Meet & Greet in your area held by an adoption group and take your girl there and see how she reacts to the hounds. Do lots of research, it can only help! Good luck and if you get your new baby, lots of pictures are required. Actually I'd like to see a picture of your girl, I live in Tennessee and don't think I've ever seen a Tree Walker Coonhound!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest TBSFlame

I love coonhounds. Please post pictures of your girl and welcome to GT. I think it would help. Most dogs like to be with other dogs and greyhounds should be a good match for your girl.

Guest LindsaySF

Has your Coonhound interacted with other dogs before? How did she do? Most dogs enjoy having other dogs around, but occasionally you come across one that really does not want a brother/sister. I agree with fostering or babysitting another dog to see how your Coonhound reacts. Also, since your current pup is spooky, you'll want a confident, outgoing Greyhound. If you were to adopt a second shy dog they might play off each other and both be shy. Good luck!

Guest HoundyGirl

Daisy-1.jpg

Here's a picture of Daisy.

I've read through your comments and have a few answers to your questions. I would definitely take Daisy to see and help pick out any greys. I'm not sure fostering would work as the organization I want to work with is over three hours away. But they do have a policy where, if your grey does not work out with your current dog, they'll take the grey back and give you most of your adoption fee back. Obviously I don't want to have to do that, so hopefully I won't. As far as Daisy getting along with other dogs goes, she's quite good with others. In fact, a couple of days ago, she met a dog that growled at her and snarled and she remained calm and simply backed away (well I pulled her away).

Thanks for all your replies!

Edited by HoundyGirl

Guest SusanP

For sure involve her in the selection process. See which dogs she seems comfortable with, and which ones set her a bit on edge. Let her spend some time with them and see how it goes.

Guest kydie

I too love coonhounds, sometimes, sometimes, another dog can be of great help to bring security to another pup, not always, my 1/2 chow could care less who lives here, she is her own self, and has always been this way,,,, she is secure and knows it,,,, if she wants affection, SHE will let YOU know I always say"SHE allows Us, to allow HER to live here" An adopton group can help match you 2 up with the pup that fits Good Luck :)

Guest twogreytkids

My neighbor adopted a coonhound that was terribly abused. She was terrified of people and a little shy with other dogs. She met my grey, Money, and he not only helped her overcome her shyness, but she learned to trust people. It didn't happen overnight, but now she deliberately leads her owner to my house so that she can see if Money is home.

Marcy

:blush Daisy is beautiful

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest jaws4evr

It's hard to say whether a dog friend will help your current dog, but I'd guess it would? Make sure to match her presonality with the new dog very carefully, the adoption group should be the ones best able to do this for you. A calm and positive-outlooked dog would probably be a good confidence boost for the resident dog.

Also don't forget that just because you have a dog park near you, doesn't mean you can let the GH run... most adoption groups have "no off leash" contracts, except in fully fenced/gated areas.

Guest GreyRabbit

Daisy is to cute!!!

I'm no expert on this as I've only had my grey for a few months, but I have to say that my boxer/lab and my grey (both LARGE males) get along very well. They kind of just "co-exist", sometimes they'll sniff each other down, or lay side by side on the couch, but really, I have had absolutely no problems with adding them. Then again, my labby guy is a total goof and not nervous as you've described Daisy. Actually, my grey is the spook of the pair now that I think of it, but he has slowly been warming up and picking up some of the goofy side of my lab. So for what it's worth, good luck and welcome, this site is awesome!

Guest mom2hounds

We have a walker/beagle mix. He absolutely loves our new grey. He follows her around and likes to clean her ears. Our aussie lab female also likes her but not as much as the coonhound.

Edited by mom2hounds

Guest Greyglo

Your Daisy is lovely. :wub: If she's comfortable with other dogs, a Greyhound may be perfect. Nice, too, that you'd like to let her help pick out a new brother/sister.

Two weeks ago, Bunny, Ghana and I were at a Bark in the Park, where we had a chance to meet lots of great dogs. A woman came over with a ten year old Golden who was normally indifferent to other dogs. She checked out the four Greys there, laid down next to Ghana and stayed with her for a good part of the afternoon. She said she'd never seen her dog do that. Ghana, who's been known to growl if dogs get too close to her bad leg, had no problem with Penny practically plopping down on her. It was nice to see, that out of all the dogs there, these two became fast friends. Wishing your Daisy that kind of special magic. Best wishes!