Cassie

Cassie and my foster got into a small squable yesterday. She ended up with a small pin prick hole that bled. I cleaned it but today when you rub over the area on her head you can feel the skin make a crackle noise under the skin. I this something I need to see the vet for?

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest Energy11

YES! I would see the vet. This is called Subcutaneous Emphysema . Here are MANY of the reasons for it.

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/003286.htm

The "prick hole" could have been deeper than you thought...hard to say, but, I'd see the vet. Good Luck, and many hugs!

Edited by Energy11

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Honestly if it was my hound I wouldn't worry too much.

I would watch it for infection of course but more then likely some air got under the skin.

It's also sometimes called Crepitus.

If it gets larger or a more wide area seems to have the crinkle feel then ya I would head off to the vet.

JMHO :)

Yeah, I think it means that even though the hole may be tiny, more of the skin was pulled away that appears and air is trapped under there. Holly had that happen one time and I believe it just went away after a day or two...but she had already seen the vet and I knew what was going on. I guess I'm no help...not sure if I would take her in or not. I think I would probably wait a day or so and keep a close eye on it...

Give that cute little girl a hug from me please!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Energy11

You certainly could give it a day or so to wait, to see how it goes, and if the sub q air seems to get worse, then, yes, the vet right away... it is really a judgement call on your part. OR, just call the vet, tell him/her what you have, and go from there.

Hugs and good luck!

Guest tricolorhounds

Bonky got into a squabble with one of the other hounds back in January requiring surgery... shortly after came the "crackles".... it covered nearly his entire body. Vet was not concerned in the slightest. It lasted nearly 3 weeks. Watch for signs of infection... if not I wouldn't worry.

thanks all for the advice. I am going to call the vet tomorrow just to be safe and see what they say

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest greybookends

Sheana had these a couple of years ago when she had a run in with a thorn. She actually had quite a lot of this I would say about a 1/3 of her back end developed this. The vet was not concerned. The wound was clean and she said it would go away in time. It was more creepy feeling than anything.

Guest KennelMom

Honestly if it was my hound I wouldn't worry too much.

I would watch it for infection of course but more then likely some air got under the skin.

It's also sometimes called Crepitus.

If it gets larger or a more wide area seems to have the crinkle feel then ya I would head off to the vet.

JMHO :)

This.

It's really creepy feeling and sounding, but it's most likely just air under the skin. Punctures can get infected more easily than a tear so watch it closely (don't forget to smell it too...that's often the first sign of a deep infection).

eta: I see you're going to the vet...I'm sure they'll give you antibiotics...which, with a puncture, I'm less opposed to giving them prophylactically. I'll be interested to see if your vet wants to stitch it closed....

Edited by KennelMom