Help! Going Potty In The Basement!

Guest Lola06

Guest Lola06

I adopted my female greyhound about a month ago. The only problem I have with her is she doesn't like our finished basement and will defecate and pee down there whenever she happens to be downstairs. She acts so weird in the basement...she paces, seems uncomfortable, sniffs around and then squats and pees. She will pee right in front of me. She usually defecates when you are not looking. She does not have accidents in any other part of our house and since she doesn't have free roam of the basement this only happens on the rare occasion that she is downstairs. It happened yesterday and the last time was 2 weeks ago. The problem is our TV is in the basement and once winter rolls around again, we will spend a lot of time down there as a family and we want our dog with us!! So, I have to stop this behavior before it becomes a habit.

Here is some additonal info. I take her out on a leash at 6:30am, 1pm, 6:30pm and between 11pm and 12am. She eats at 6:30am and either 4:30pm or 6:30pm depending on the day. At night she has free roam of the main floor including our master bedroom. Usually she chooses to sleep on her bed in the great room even though she has a bed in our master bedroom too. (I have to say that bothers me too and make me worry that she doesn't like us!) The main floor is all hardwood floors with a couple of area rugs and the master bedroom is carpeted with the same carpet as the basement. Knock wood.....we haven't had any accidents at night. Her crate is also in the great room but she in only in the crate when we are gone longer than an hour. I lost my baby of 15 yrs about 2 months ago and she was incontinent in the end but she had her accidents on the area rug upstairs soI don't think her scent is the issue with the basement. The interesting thing is when her foster brought her over to our house for the home visit, she peed on the carpet in basement and she hadn't ever done that at the foster mom's house. Maybe I should have been worried then.

I have read several greyhound books and think I have followed the potty training steps pretty well.....although I guess I am doing something wrong because we are still having problems!! I was thinking maybe she doesn't view the basement as part of her/our house. I feed her breakfast in the basement this morning and put the bowl right on top of a spot where she defecated previously. I thought if I feed her down there and spend some supervised time down there it may change her view of the basement as part of her house. I also was considering moving her crate down there too. Please give me your thoughts and any suggestions! Do you think she just doesn't like it here????

Edited by Lola06

If the smell of urine is in your FLOOR, she can still smell it, and she probably thinks of that as her special pee spot now.

It's really important to COMPLETELY remove the odor.

You said she's uncomfortable down there--any idea why? Is there a noise (furnace?) she might not like? Something going on?

You might try putting up an x-pen when she's down there with you, and keeping her where you can see her, and not just letting her roam around.

You should also probably, just to rule out medical things, take a urine sample to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a mild UTI.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mcsheltie

Banish the thought that she doesn't like you. One month is not enough time for most GHs to settle in. Some take six months to a year! She is still trying to figure what the ___ has happened. And is wondering what is expected of her.

Only let her in the basement when totally supervised. Not when you are doing something down there and are kinda watching. Give her absolutely no chance to potty down there. I would keep her on a leash cause it is hard to react fast enough if they are the other side of the room. I would not pen her down there, as she can still pee on the floor. Keep the door shut or put up a baby gate up so she can never go down there on her own.

It sounds like it smells like a potty to her. Was the carpet there before you moved in? Pull it up and look at the back of it for stains. If the pee has soaked into the pad you will need to replace that. You can get a carpet knife, cut out the bad spot and replace those. Before you put down the new pad pieces, bleach the concrete floor. You will also need to clean the spots on the carpet itself where she went again. I use a mixture of peroxide, baking soda & blue Dawn. Pour it on the spots. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then blot it up with a towel (stand on the towel) Then pour more of the mixture on the spot and let it dry. You might want to get a black light and check for spots you might not know are there. Look at the base boards and higher up, there may have been a male dog living there before you.

small bottle of peroxide

2 tsp baking soda

3 drops dawn

or

lg peroxide

2 tbs baking soda

6 drops Dawn

Only take her in the basement after she has "gone" outside. I would take her down there as often as you can on leash. Since you have a TV down there, put a bed next to you & watch TV for a bit and treat her. If you don't have a lot of time, walk her down there. Let her sniff around (on leash) when she is focusing on a spot call her name. When she looks at you or steps toward you, treat her and walk her away from the spot. Repeat that as often as you can. Takes less than five minutes. You can keep feeding her down there. As long as you are right there. When she is done, praise her and take her straight outside.

If she is your only dog I would not put her crate down there. It will make her feel alienated from the rest of the house and could start crate problems. Since she is new and where you have the crate is working... don't change that. If you have other dogs, crate everyone down there.

Like I said, don't be worried she doesn't like it there. I have a girl who has been here seven months and she is just starting to come out of her shell.

Guest Lola06

Thanks for the responses. We just put the carpet in 6 months ago when we finished the basement. The only dog to pee down there is the new greyhound. :( I have treated the areas with Nature's Miracle but maybe some additional treating of the areas will help.

Do you have a fenced yard? Did the foster home have a fenced area?

I've fostered quite a few that would not potty properly while on lead.

Could she have a UTI?

Best $20 I ever spend was renting a "Rug Doctor" professional carpet cleaner. Does better than any spot cleaning etc.

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

Guest Lola06

The foster home had a fenced in yard and 3 other greyhounds. We do not have a fenced in yard nor any other pets.

I don't think it is a UTI because this only happens on the rare occasion that she is in the basement and like I said....the last time she had an accident was two weeks ago. When we are in the basement, she stares at the TV projector...even when it is not on. She seems to be terrified of it. :unsure

I just took her potty and then we went downstairs to the basement and sat together for about 5-10 minutes. I kept her on her leash. She laid on her bed and stared at the projector. She did calm down after a few minutes. Maybe she needs to be aclimated to the basement in a controlled setting a few times a day.

I think I will also get the carpet cleaned.

Edited by Lola06

Guest mcsheltie

Nature's Miracle is about as effective as pouring expensive water on the pee spots. The peroxide solution is great. Not only does it cost less than $2, it works. It takes out skunk, blood, urine, pee, barf... you name it and the residual odor.

Carpet cleaning companies are not very effective in getting rid of residual odor so save your money. Getting the carpet wet with products that don't cut the odor will only spread it throughout the carpet. You can do a better job yourself. Remember to check the pad.

Does your dog want to go down into the basement? Maybe she isjust not comfortable there. You might try leaving her upstairs. I have a boy that is not comfortable going upstairs so he sleeps downstairs by himself. He is more comfortable. She may get more comfortable with it as time goes on.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I would think she does not see this as part of her den (the rest of your house) as you don't spend much time down there. I would be down there with her for varying periods every day, initially keeping her tethered so you can stop her toiletting and then free but closely supervised until she understands this is not a toiletting area. Whenever we get a new dog or foster, they have the run of the house going in and out of every room (except the bathroom where they are never allowed)from Day 1, and they learn very quickly that the whole inside is out of bounds for toiletting and only go outside within a couple of days.

Sue from England

Guest Lola06

I would think she does not see this as part of her den (the rest of your house) as you don't spend much time down there. I would be down there with her for varying periods every day, initially keeping her tethered so you can stop her toiletting and then free but closely supervised until she understands this is not a toiletting area. Whenever we get a new dog or foster, they have the run of the house going in and out of every room (except the bathroom where they are never allowed)from Day 1, and they learn very quickly that the whole inside is out of bounds for toiletting and only go outside within a couple of days.

I agree with you. I am planning to start that today. It is pretty hot here and I usually work upstairs in my office but today we are moving to the basement for comfort as well as training. :P

Does your dog want to go down into the basement? Maybe she isjust not comfortable there. You might try leaving her upstairs. I have a boy that is not comfortable going upstairs so he sleeps downstairs by himself. He is more comfortable. She may get more comfortable with it as time goes on.

She will go down there if the door is left open and someone is downstairs but I don't think she is comfortable down there. I have been feeding her in the basement for 2 days now and as soon as she is done eating....she goes back upstairs....quickly.

Edited by Lola06

Guest Lola06

Banish the thought that she doesn't like you. One month is not enough time for most GHs to settle in. Some take six months to a year! She is still trying to figure what the ___ has happened. And is wondering what is expected of her.

Only let her in the basement when totally supervised. Not when you are doing something down there and are kinda watching. Give her absolutely no chance to potty down there. I would keep her on a leash cause it is hard to react fast enough if they are the other side of the room. I would not pen her down there, as she can still pee on the floor. Keep the door shut or put up a baby gate up so she can never go down there on her own.

It sounds like it smells like a potty to her. Was the carpet there before you moved in? Pull it up and look at the back of it for stains. If the pee has soaked into the pad you will need to replace that. You can get a carpet knife, cut out the bad spot and replace those. Before you put down the new pad pieces, bleach the concrete floor. You will also need to clean the spots on the carpet itself where she went again. I use a mixture of peroxide, baking soda & blue Dawn. Pour it on the spots. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then blot it up with a towel (stand on the towel) Then pour more of the mixture on the spot and let it dry. You might want to get a black light and check for spots you might not know are there. Look at the base boards and higher up, there may have been a male dog living there before you.

small bottle of peroxide

2 tsp baking soda

3 drops dawn

or

lg peroxide

2 tbs baking soda

6 drops Dawn

Only take her in the basement after she has "gone" outside. I would take her down there as often as you can on leash. Since you have a TV down there, put a bed next to you & watch TV for a bit and treat her. If you don't have a lot of time, walk her down there. Let her sniff around (on leash) when she is focusing on a spot call her name. When she looks at you or steps toward you, treat her and walk her away from the spot. Repeat that as often as you can. Takes less than five minutes. You can keep feeding her down there. As long as you are right there. When she is done, praise her and take her straight outside.

If she is your only dog I would not put her crate down there. It will make her feel alienated from the rest of the house and could start crate problems. Since she is new and where you have the crate is working... don't change that. If you have other dogs, crate everyone down there.

Like I said, don't be worried she doesn't like it there. I have a girl who has been here seven months and she is just starting to come out of her shell.

Thanks, I will try to stop worrying that she doesn't love me. I keep thinking I am doing something wrong.

The carpet was new within the last 12 months so I don't think there is any urine on it....other than Lola's. :angryfire I will try the mix you use and see if that helps. I am a little worried that the Dawn will leave a residue on the carpet.

We started using the training tips you list above yesterday. Hopefuly they will work.