Flex (Ig) Had Seizure

My poor little boy can't catch a break...he suffers from so many things...auto-immune disorder, recurrent UTIs, occasional IBD, early PRA, . He started again with pain and discharge from his penis..vet put him back on baytril. this morning, no appetite at all. I gave him pepcid..still wouldn't eat. Came home from work, he looked "off" to me. Eyes watery and small. no temp. Little while later, he vomited mucous (hadn't eaten all day)..then a bit later, I found him in the living room having a seizure. It was a partial seizure..legs stiffening and lfting, head turning. Lasted about 5 minutes. Called vet and took him in. He had one or two seizures about 5 years ago after getting a full set of shots. While driving to the vet, I realized I gave him the dosage of pepcid I give my BIG Greyhounds (20mg)..began to panic as I drove and tried to google on my blackberry. I told vet what happened, he said BP can drop from too much...or low blood sugar could be cause. His heart rate was good. Eyes still watery. Vet did blood and checked sugar..if it was low, he would have to stay the nite. luckily it was ok..so I took him home. Also, when he took his temp, there was blood in his stool!! Flex has real bad gas today. but up until this morning his stomach was fine...Gave me flagyl for his stomach, and said to feed him lite tonite. He will call me in the morning with the bloods..I am so worried about this..I am thinking of a million things...could he have a tumor or something that is causing the eyes to tear and cause the seizure? Was it the overdose of pepcid? I am so upset with myself...He ate boiled hamburger very happily tonite..and I gave him his flagyl and baytril..Any advice would be appreciated.Donna

Guest Swifthounds

Flagyl and Baytril can both cause GI upset and the Pepcid trick only helps the stomach, not the rest of the GI, so the lower GI irritation could be from the antibiotics. Try slippery elm bark (either loose powder from a health food store or capsules from most vitamin stores) instead or in addition to the Pepcid. It has worked better than anything I have tried for our IGs.

It's hard to tell what the cause of issues are with the little ones, as they tend to get themselves very worked up from pain or discomfort. Did the vet do any diagnostics other than the blood sugar check?

:grouphug to you and your little guy from our IGs and their greyhound handmaidens...

Poor little bug. Hope he is better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I seriously doubt it was the Pepcid. The GI irritation, like the others have said, could be from the antibiotics.

Best to see what the bloodwork says, and keep a close eye on the little guy.

Sending him lots of love and prayers!

Thank you all for your responses. Flex seems to be pretty much himself today..except for nasty gas. His eyes do not look right to me though...The vet ran full CBC...he left me a message that all blood work was normal. His blood sugar was ( I think) 97..he said that is normal. I am waiting for him to return my call. I have slippery elm powder. How much would I give to a 14lb. dog?