Yellow Drainage On Back Legs

Guest popeyesmom

Guest popeyesmom

We have had our grey for three weeks. When we got him we took him in for a vet check and he had some yellow drainage spots on his back legs. When you wiped the fur clean it was reddened/rashy underneath. There are several small areas like this on both his back legs. The vet put him on a ten day course of antibiotics but the spots are still there. I do not see it anywhere else on his body. It doesn't look bad just kind of like he got something light yellow on his coat ranging in size from a dime to a quarter and the rash is not visable unless you wipe the areas. Anyone know what this could be?

Guest Energy11

ALMOST sounds like poison ivy or oak?

Might want to ask the vet about that, especially, if the antibiotics aren't clearing it up.

Good Luck!

Love those technical terms Heather.:lol If there is a rash you may want to have a skin scrape taken to rule out staph.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Love those technical terms Heather.lol.gif If there is a rash you may want to have a skin scrape taken to rule out staph.

Good idea on the skin scrape, and I LOVE those "technical terms," too! lol.gif

Guest PhillyPups

Might be some schmeg from his "hoo hoo"

I googled "scmeg from his "hoo hoo" and came up with nothing. Is that medical terminology? :dunno

Guest Energy11

PIG LATIN! "))blink.gif Who knows, but it is CUTE! Made me laugh, and hopefully, made others laugh, too! lol.gif

Edited by Energy11

Try googling "smegma."

:rofl

No, don't. But that's how you spell it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Maybe I'm confused as to what you are describing but .... could this be an allergic reaction to "pee" getting on his legs.

My greyhound boy rarely lifts his leg to pee, instead he usually "stretches out" and pees and as a result, a little dribbles onto the inside of his legs. as it dries it has a yellowish appearance and if I do not clean it up often it will cause an inflammation to the skin.

edited to add .. if it is pee, you don't need antibiotics (although won't hurt but consider giving yogurt to replenish normal gut bacteria), you just need to wash the inside of his legs with mild soap (ivory type) once a day.

Edited by MaryJane

Guest MyBoys

Yup, my boys all get that on their back legs from peeing, I am always washing their legs down with warm soapy water. I guess human boys dribble on the toilet rim and dog boys dribble on their legs :lol

Guest Energy11

Maybe I'm confused as to what you are describing but .... could this be an allergic reaction to "pee" getting on his legs.

My greyhound boy rarely lifts his leg to pee, instead he usually "stretches out" and pees and as a result, a little dribbles onto the inside of his legs. as it dries it has a yellowish appearance and if I do not clean it up often it will cause an inflammation to the skin.

edited to add .. if it is pee, you don't need antibiotics (although won't hurt but consider giving yogurt to replenish normal gut bacteria), you just need to wash the inside of his legs with mild soap (ivory type) once a day.

GOOD CALL! That just might be it!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Try googling "smegma."

:rofl

Heck, I thought everyone knew by now that I'm one of the worst spellers around :blush

OK, OK so it could be possible discharge from the penis area.

That better peanut gallery? :P

and I always thought smegma was a technical term, shorten to smeg or better yet, my spelling of schmeg :dunno:unsure

Guest Energy11

Try googling "smegma."

rofl.gif

Heck, I thought everyone knew by now that I'm one of the worst spellers around blush.gif

OK, OK so it could be possible discharge from the penis area.

That better peanut gallery? tongue.gif

and I always thought smegma was a technical term, shorten to smeg or better yet, my spelling of schmeg dunno.gifunsure.gif

Dunno, but you made me laugh, and that "ain't" easy!

I knew you were a speller with unique ideas, Heather. Hence my posting the more mundane edition. Don't google it, tho. Or if you do, please do NOT come back and tell us what you found 'cause I don't want to know.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

Jey, see that education is helping, you know the proper medical term for penile discharge. How happy is this boy? :lol

Guest barkdogs

SMEGMA

–noun

a thick, cheeselike, sebaceous secretion that collects beneath the foreskin or around the clitoris.

Sorry guys, I just had to look it up.

"In healthy animals, smegma helps clean and lubricate the genitals. In veterinary medicine, analysis of this smegma is sometimes used for detection of urogenital tract pathogens, such as Tritrichomonas foetus.[18] Accumulation of smegma in the equine preputial folds and the urethral fossa and urethral diverticulum can form large "beans" and promote the carriage of Taylorella equigenitalis, the causative agent of contagious equine metritis.[19] Some equine veterinarians have recommended periodic cleaning of male genitals to improve the health of the animal."

I have however not copied the picture that accompanied the description, of the human male genetalia with said smegma on it.:lol

Personally, I like Heather's description better!:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'll get a photo tomorrow of Dave's schmeg from his "hoo hoo" well that is if he or better yet his "hoo hoo" cooperates ;)

Just so you all can get a clear idea of what I'm talking about :D

and as far as Judy's posting

can form large "beans"

If you ever have had to clean out a sheath of a horse you will totally get what they were saying.

It's more like little dirt balls :huh

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I'll get a photo tomorrow of Dave's schmeg from his "hoo hoo" well that is if he or better yet his "hoo hoo" cooperates ;)

Just so you all can get a clear idea of what I'm talking about :D

and as far as Judy's posting

can form large "beans"

If you ever have had to clean out a sheath of a horse you will totally get what they were saying.

It's more like little dirt balls :huh

oh :puke yes, I can't do it... I get the vet to :sick

Streamer gets this yellow "crustiness" on his back legs too, I never worried about it but I do have to wipe it occasionally or it will get irritated looking. None of my other boys have such bad aim :lol